What is your RC LiPo of choice in 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have noticed the Zeees get better with age...I feel like it takes 10-20 cycles for them to hit their peak stride.
I noticed this with my Socokin as well which I think are made by the same company. It's hard to tell who makes what anymore. After about the 8-10th cycle it felt like they kind of woke up a bit.

buying packs for my TLR is new to me, was always flying before now, well this century anyway, i am old boy of rc now and am putting together my little TLR, trying to keep weight respectable and have looked at so many brands my brain hurts after all the research, then just trying to fit the arrma tray is another thing altogether.

I am still on holiday and a 5 days away from seeing all my deliveries from the postie waiting for me at home, my first lipo and charger Skyrc D100V2 and a Ovonic 6400 came from gumtree lol, so i do not expect too much. Folks don't report to great on the brand, but i also draw the line on value for money, i see no sense in paying $260 aud on a lipo, i am no competition racer lol. I checked out SMC here in oz and cannot get a bloody thing that i actually would use, they are all out of stock, what that means who knows, cost versus performance.

I have read through so many threads here on lipo's, and one thing is for certain apart from death and taxes is that lipo's are a like a box o chocolates,
whether its $300 or $100 failures are simply an accepted fact of the build/ chemistry it seems.

I did purchase the very last Performa Racing 5500 shorty 15.2 4s in Australia a few days ago so bloody hard to find here in Oz, fits the arrma tray and is a tad over 400grams which is fantastic for my build as i went heavy on the electronics and need to slide jenny craig's big butt in somewhere.
We will see just how the Performa performs i guess and if it was worth the coin.

I noticed this with my Socokin as well which I think are made by the same company. It's hard to tell who makes what anymore. After about the 8-10th cycle it felt like they kind of woke up a bit.
Lipos will be at their strongest after 15 to 25 cycles as you need to get all that black magic working in the cells.

So after just 4 months, Both Hoovo 6S 100C's i bought have bad cells. They were $100 each. I have a few dozen runs on each of them, at least.
Yesterday, I ran one down to 3.6+/cell, when the alarm goes off. Next day I checked them and saw 3.3/cell? and this is how they looked after charging for 3 hours. The other one did the same thing except it never went lower than 3.6. Still, 2 cells are dropping off.

IMG_3500.jpeg

Considering:

YOWOO 6S 100C 6000mAh 22.2V Lipo Battery with EC5 Plug RC Graphene Lipo
$85

HOOVO 6S LiPo Battery 22.2V 6200mAh 120C with EC5 Plug Softcase RC Battery
$90

CNHL Racing Series 6200mAh 22.2V 6S 90C Lipo Battery with EC5 Plug
$90

Turnigy Graphene's? Cant find them anywhere and non come with EC5?

Last edited:
Wait for these to go on bogo sale.. I think I paid 120 for 2!! 😎

Thanks, Eyes open. Warrantee on these? LOL

This is Hoovoo 100C no2 (from above), wont charge over this.
How long should I continue to run these? They seem fine.

IMG_3501.jpeg

This is Hoovoo 100C no1 (2-pack box)
Ive been running this for a couple of weeks. Charging it now.
IMG_3504.jpeg

Ovonic 6400 came from gumtree lol, so i do not expect too much

I dunno, I bought a couple of incredibly cheap 3S batteries off Amazon, and honestly? Not a thing wrong with them. Plenty of power.

I don't think there are a lot of low quality batteries out there. It's not like in the old days when cheap NiCd and NiMH packs were made with substandard, unbalanced cells that were basically leftovers from the cordless power tool industry.

View attachment 243671

View attachment 243672
Yes.. cnhl has a very reputable rep for customer service/warranty!

Yes.. cnhl has a very reputable rep for customer service/warranty!
I agree they are good with customer service, that's one reason I keep buying batteries from them. About 6 months ago I bought a 6s 9500mah pack from them, when it arrived one cell was significantly down compared to the other 5 and would only charge to a point. I contacted CHNL through email and explained everything in detail, and sent pics of the battery on the charger showing the bad cell. A few days later they responded and said they would replace it, and a week later I received TWO new 9500mah 6s packs as a replacement without having to send them back the bad pack. I was pretty happy, they really took care of me. Best customer service I've had in a long time

View attachment 243671

View attachment 243672
I don't have any experience with the 100c hoovo packs, but I have really liked my 120c packs from them. All the other 3s packs i put in my kraton get super hot after a full pack. The 120c 3s hoovo packs i have don't get warm at all. They're not "5 star" packs, but they get the job done at a decent price. Bummer to hear the 100c packs don't stack up as much.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the 100c hoovo packs, but I have really liked my 120c packs from them. All the other 3s packs i put in my kraton get super hot after a full pack. The 120c 3s hoovo packs i have don't get warm at all. They're not 5 start packs, but they get the job done at a decent price. Bummer to hear the 100c packs don't stack up as much.

They have been Great, up till the past 2 weeks. Like you said, don't get much hotter than warm and last a long time.

Started using them both first week of June. Used them each a few times a week.

Each of them has the same first 2 cells down.

This is Batter No1 from above post. Been charging a while now. Not so good. Its just keeps getting worse each cycle. Not Puffing.

IMG_3508.jpg

They have been Great, up till the past 2 weeks. Like you said, don't get much hotter than warm and last a long time.

Started using them both first week of June. Used them each a few times a week.

Each of them has the same first 2 cells down.

This is Batter No1 from above post. Been charging a while now. Not so good. Its just keeps getting worse each cycle. Not Puffing.

View attachment 243692
what kind of IR does each pack have? if it's taking that long to charge, i'm willing to be those first two cells will peg higher IR.

For 100$ a battery you had so many options other than random hoovoo haha. Even the SMC 6s packs I recently bought weren't 100$ a battery.

Last edited:
For 100$ a battery you had so many options other than random hoovoo haha. Even the SMC 6s packs I recently baught werent 100$ a battery.
Wasn't really random. I was shopping for a 8000mAh at 100+ C rating. They were average price and got high ratings. I tried Zee's too.
I lost 1 2S Zee, just completely discharged sitting in the kids car, not used after just 3 days - in the garage. It was 3 months old and used lightly.
$80-$120 for a 6S 8000mAh at 80-120C is about average. Some hit $150-$200.

Since June looks like that model was replaced with these, same price and specs. Different wrapper.

HOOVO 6S 22.2V LiPo Battery 8000mAh 100C RC LiPo Batteries Metal Plates with EC5

The CHNL's at 90C, 6000mAh is $80 and at 8000mAh its $120.

The YOWOO Graphene's 100C at 6000mAh are $87, cant find any at 8000.

Others are much the same. Lesser knows names are cheaper on eBay but not much.

Somethings definitely up then. Those are respectable IRs, nothing i see concerns me there. Do you have access to another charger or a friends charger you can use to validate that it isn't your charger that's acting up?

Doign that today, was thinking the same but when I use the same charger on other batteries they are all fine.

Cycle them 2-3 times.
Im nto so sure what they mean?

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 11.18.58 AM.png

Doign that today, was thinking the same but when I use the same charger on other batteries they are all fine.

Cycle them 2-3 times.
Im nto so sure what they mean?

View attachment 243848
Charge fully then discharge to low voltage (3.4v ish) 2 to 3 times. "Cycling" a battery generally tends to resolve weird anomalies and *sometimes* restores a batteries health.

It doesn't seem like a charger thing. But with a low IR like that, i don't personally know of another way to tell why the battery might be bad.

Charge fully then discharge to low voltage (3.4v ish) 2 to 3 times. "Cycling" a battery generally tends to resolve weird anomalies and *sometimes* restores a batteries health.

It doesn't seem like a charger thing. But with a low IR like that, i don't personally know of another way to tell why the battery might be bad.
Thanks for the help here. I used 2 other battery checkers and all gave the same readings.

So how do I "cycle" a batter with my charger? Ive never done that.
Put it into storage mode at, lets say 3.4v, then balance charge it back up. Then repeat 2 more times?

Thanks for the help here. I used 2 other battery checkers and all gave the same readings.

So how do I "cycle" a batter with my charger? Ive never done that.
Put it into storage mode at, lets say 3.4v, then balance charge it back up. Then repeat 2 more times?
That's exactly what cycling a battery is. I've got the b6ac as well. Use the "discharge" setting. I think it only goes down to like 3.4 or 3.5 anyway. It'll take forever, but it is what it is. Then balance charge all the way to 4.2. And repeat the process.

Back