What is your thoughts on the spektrum motors/esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motor not a single issue. ESC absolutely garbage. They go down more then a 5.00 ......

Motor not a single issue. ESC absolutely garbage. They go down more then a 5.00 ......
I always hear the same thing, the motors are fine but for some reason the escs like to let out the magic smoke. Iirc the only difference between the Arrma BLX185 and the Spektrum motor is the outside of the can.

I've had no issues with the couple 150A I've run but one also is used for 3/4s in my Granite and other is in my custom build SWB Mojave with a TP 4060-cm and no issues. 3s Spektrum motors are absolutely junk the Vorteks I won on the forum on third pack motor bearing went on just my son driving it around the property not even jumping it. So it's on the shelf not sure I'll even bother to fix it I just put my over yr old BLX 3s motor in as it's been rock solid. Have only ran one 6s Spektrum motor that came with my v5 Typhon and it held up a good long while but after speed running it for a while up to 119mph now you can tell magnets are weaker and probably won't last very long so again it's on my shelf as a in case motor. I think the biggest issue IMO is the motor bearings especially in the 3s motor as no way should the Vorteks have blown a motor bearing after 2 packs with very little jumping at all.

I've sold all my spektrum stuff. Even gave away the brushed system... it wasn't bad. Just wanted more. Only issue I had was a brand new 3200kv for the girlfriend's senton. But that was my fault because I ran to many amps knowing that I would kill it

I've had no issues with the couple 150A I've run but one also is used for 3/4s in my Granite and other is in my custom build SWB Mojave with a TP 4060-cm and no issues. 3s Spektrum motors are absolutely junk the Vorteks I won on the forum on third pack motor bearing went on just my son driving it around the property not even jumping it. So it's on the shelf not sure I'll even bother to fix it I just put my over yr old BLX 3s motor in as it's been rock solid. Have only ran one 6s Spektrum motor that came with my v5 Typhon and it held up a good long while but after speed running it for a while up to 119mph now you can tell magnets are weaker and probably won't last very long so again it's on my shelf as a in case motor. I think the biggest issue IMO is the motor bearings especially in the 3s motor as no way should the Vorteks have blown a motor bearing after 2 packs with very little jumping at all.
I tell people time and time again there is nothing wrong with the 3s motors it is the motor module trapping all the dirt and crap inside of itself, both my Typhon 3s and my Senton 3s with the BLX motor the bearings lasted maybe a few runs before they were completely shot, I even tried $40 in Boca bearings in my BLX motors those too only lasted a few packs before being destroyed. Rebuild the Spektrum motor and seal the motor module and I can pretty much assure you it will last more than a few packs. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3200kv-blx-3660-motor-bearings.9826/#post-367654 until I did the mods in that thread I was lucky to get more than a few packs out of the motor bearings in either of my 3s vehicles with BLX motors.

Motors are ok......esc seem to be hit or miss. Al,ost every used 3s BLX I see needs a front bearing. I think the older BLX100 and 185 were better than the spektrum firma 100 / 150. My firma 150 ran super hot for some reason. As with all things rc you need to maintain the motors for them to run well. For the 3s line new front bearing every 10 packs....if you mod the case or cut a hole in the chassis you can get maybe every 20 packs.

Motor bb issues aside. The motors I feel are not well balanced ( the armatures) at production. The BB's will fail no matter what you got in there. But dirt intrusion is the number one killer. My motor analyzer shows considerable vibration readings on all the Armma motors ( new out the box) compared to my HW motors.

Junk all round over priced garage. New tailon EXB esc glitchs out ever run just took it out and the motor seems ok besides oh yea junk
cameringo_20210905_173441.jpg

Yes It can. But just about anything can be repaired. But never had that happen to a BLX motor.
I've seen it a few times over the years.

I love them, im a spektrum fan boy tho!! Only been in the hobby a year and a half.. So my experience is minimum!! That said I have not had one single issue with any of my rigs, i did have to replace the front bearing on my v2 senton with the bigger jims v3 bearing, also the esc did act up one time but its worked without issue since!! My felony is also a beast so i guess we can say I've been super lucky!! On another note I've ran my senton on a 26t pinion for quite some time now and seems to run flawlessly!! Stupid fast.. Spektrum charger and batteries as well!!

I tell people time and time again there is nothing wrong with the 3s motors it is the motor module trapping all the dirt and crap inside of itself, both my Typhon 3s and my Senton 3s with the BLX motor the bearings lasted maybe a few runs before they were completely shot, I even tried $40 in Boca bearings in my BLX motors those too only lasted a few packs before being destroyed. Rebuild the Spektrum motor and seal the motor module and I can pretty much assure you it will last more than a few packs. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3200kv-blx-3660-motor-bearings.9826/#post-367654 until I did the mods in that thread I was lucky to get more than a few packs out of the motor bearings in either of my 3s vehicles with BLX motors.
Maybe but I've personally ran the same 3s blx motor and original bearings now for over a year and a half first with nothing done to motor module and then with slot in chassis 6 months later and its still going strong. Bashed and abused in my Granite and not a single issue. But spectrum motor not even 3 packs with light jumps and then just bashed around on flat ground so 🤷🏻 sure specktrum motor may hold up a few packs more with new bearings but I don't think it's even worth the cost of bearings or my time to bother honestly. Can't argue the fact over 18 months on the blx with original bearings to 3 days on the spektrum...

Yes It can. But just about anything can be repaired. But never had that happen to a BLX motor.
I sleeve most of my wiring. Or I at least shrink wrap the motor leads. Prevents that to some extent.

Maybe but I've personally ran the same 3s blx motor and original bearings now for over a year and a half first with nothing done to motor module and then with slot in chassis 6 months later and its still going strong. Bashed and abused in my Granite and not a single issue. But spectrum motor not even 3 packs with light jumps and then just bashed around on flat ground so 🤷🏻 sure specktrum motor may hold up a few packs more with new bearings but I don't think it's even worth the cost of bearings or my time to bother honestly. Can't argue the fact over 18 months on the blx with original bearings to 3 days on the spektrum...
Well as you can see from the title of that thread I posted the bearing issue is not isolated to the Spektrum motor. I'm not saying that Hobbywing didn't cheap out on the bearings in the Spektrum motors, which is pretty obvious that they did as is evident by the higher failure rate but they aren't really that much better in the BLX motors. $7 for new bearings https://jimsbearings.com/products/arrma-blx100-3200kv-motor-bearings and it might take you 20 minutes to swap them out.

Well as you can see from the title of that thread I posted the bearing issue is not isolated to the Spektrum motor. I'm not saying that Hobbywing didn't cheap out on the bearings in the Spektrum motors, which is pretty obvious that they did as is evident by the higher failure rate but they aren't really that much better in the BLX motors. $7 for new bearings https://jimsbearings.com/products/arrma-blx100-3200kv-motor-bearings and it might take you 20 minutes to swap them out.
I get ya it's more so out of spite than the $7 or 20+ minutes to fix it. Also because it was a "gift" being won on the forum and no receipt came with it couldn't even get it warrantied or replacement bearings to fix it for my son who's truck it is and was quite disappointed when it happened. Again just the fact it didn't even last 3 packs out of the box new just left a nasty taste in my mouth for the 3s spektrum motors. Now like I said the 6s spektrum motor held up great even pushed it to 119mph on 6s so no complaints there. Also no complaints with my 6s esc's or servos from spektrum but have seen way too many burn up or be faulty so think its really just like most things poor batches that came out with little or absolutely no quality control especially anything new this year it seems.

I get ya it's more so out of spite than the $7 or 20+ minutes to fix it. Also because it was a "gift" being won on the forum and no receipt came with it couldn't even get it warrantied or replacement bearings to fix it for my son who's truck it is and was quite disappointed when it happened. Again just the fact it didn't even last 3 packs out of the box new just left a nasty taste in my mouth for the 3s spektrum motors. Now like I said the 6s spektrum motor held up great even pushed it to 119mph on 6s so no complaints there. Also no complaints with my 6s esc's or servos from spektrum but have seen way too many burn up or be faulty so think its really just like most things poor batches that came out with little or absolutely no quality control especially anything new this year it seems.
Yeah the qc on things seems really bad lately.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back