Typhon What model version is this? And are the wheels to big?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenderDennis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Raider
  3. Senton 3s
Hello, today i purchased a used Typhon 6S.
I don't know which version this is. Maybe you can help to figure it out.
Also the wheels seems way to big for the car. I would like to hear you're opinion! Will it be a diff killer or can I get away with this?
Thanx in advance!!!
16690442389738844174773666183950.jpg
16690442775212681488190533194604.jpg

Last edited:
It is "stretched" with a LWB Kraton chassis.
But looks to be a V3 Typhon Originally, like stated above.
With the longer chassis and MT wheels, it is not really a Typhon, by defintion. Just has a Typhon body. It's more close to being truggified. Nice rig.
But she is sure filthy wherever you got this. Looks to be well used.
Do the front tires rub the body at all when turned L-R?

It's a hodge podge of parts Kraton V3 chassis, motor mount is from a V1-V2 and the shocks and battery tray appear to be V3.
The V1, V2, and V3 motor mounts were all the same. The sliding motor mount didn't come out until the V4. But you are right about it being a V3. The V3 is the only version that had plastic shock caps.

It's a hodge podge of parts Kraton V3 chassis, motor mount is from a V1-V2 and the shocks and battery tray appear to be V3.
Yeah it does look like a mutt.:giggle:
The only thing Typhon about it is the body and Arms.
It won't drive much like a Typhon at all. It's a one-off rig. Many have done custom builds like this. All the 6s Arrma rigs are modular like this. Can mix and match parts to your hearts desire.
Still a nice one.(y)
If it were me, I would run the Mojave Arms and axels. For a bit wider track width. Proportions would be better with the LWB Kraton chassis. IDK.....
Just me.:cool:

Last edited:
With the longer chassis and MT wheels, it is not really a Typhon, by defintion. Just has a Typhon body. It's more close to being truggified. Nice rig.
I haven't run it yet, bimut on the first look it will be fine.
Thanx for your explanation!
Yup, very filthy. The price was good ;-) the ESC is toasted because the previous owner had towed a child on a sled. It has been abused for sure

Doesn't the typhon have straight cut diffs? trucks use spiral cut diffs.
+1
Good point.
Straight cut main/Input gears are only found in the Typhon and ALL the On Road rigs. Fel/Infr/Lim. The rest are all Spiral cut geared. ( 6s Offroaders)
Running a lighter stock trim Typhon with proper 1/8 Buggy sized wheels is probably fine with straight cut gears.
Bashing it with heavy large MT wheels will probably wear out straight cut gears faster. The added weight of the LWB Kraton chassis doesn't help.
Just who really knows what diffs are actually in this mutt. It's anyones guess. It's a hodge podge.:giggle:
I recommend the OP does a complete tear down. Cleaning all of it. Looks like it has been in the wet stuff. The only way to know what he has there.
The potential is there. (y)
Someone with some RC experience built this.(y)

Last edited:
The V1, V2, and V3 motor mounts were all the same. The sliding motor mount didn't come out until the V4. But you are right about it being a V3. The V3 is the only version that had plastic shock caps.
Yup , V3 Senton 6s same , plastic shock caps , no sway bars , no boots on shocks , Tactic radio , fixed motor mount

D04C619C-1156-4236-BE3D-54B1664F213A.jpeg

Looks like the original question was already answered multiple times - congrats on the new rig! That being said, the company RCScrewz sells replacement sets for the entire rig, I recommend checking them out and swapping out all those rusty bits! Runs about $40 for an entire set and you'll be good as new.

Oh yeah I forgot about that my bad.
Looks like the original question was already answered multiple times - congrats on the new rig! That being said, the company RCScrewz sells replacement sets for the entire rig, I recommend checking them out and swapping out all those rusty bits! Runs about $40 for an entire set and you'll be good as new.
I would avoid rc screwz for a basher rig. Literally the only plus side to them is that they don't rust, other than that they use low grade ss for their screws so they will break bend and strip out much much easier than the stock 12.9 grade hardened steel screws.

If you are insistent on going stainless steel go with Team KNK they use a high grade ss for their screws.

+1
Good point.
Straight cut main/Input gears are only found in the Typhon and ALL the On Road rigs. Fel/Infr/Lim. The rest are all Spiral cut geared. ( 6s Offroaders)
Running a lighter stock trim Typhon with proper 1/8 Buggy sized wheels is probably fine with straight cut gears.
Bashing it with heavy large MT wheels will probably wear out straight cut gears faster. The added weight of the LWB Kraton chassis doesn't help.
Just who really knows what diffs are actually in this mutt. It's anyones guess. It's a hodge podge.:giggle:
I recommend the OP does a complete tear down. Cleaning all of it. Looks like it has been in the wet stuff. The only way to know what he has there.
The potential is there. (y)
Someone with some RC experience built this.(y)
The diffs look great, nicely fluids and clean on the inside. There are straight cut. The same as my old Mojave, but that was also second hand bought.
Nice to know that the previous owner had ran this car only in the forest, lots of loose dirt so not to many stress on the diffs. I cleaned it sfiftly and it doesn't look to bad accept the rusted screws and of course the broken esc.
Thanx!
Oh yeah I forgot about that my bad.

I would avoid rc screwz for a basher rig. Literally the only plus side to them is that they don't rust, other than that they use low grade ss for their screws so they will break bend and strip out much much easier than the stock 12.9 grade hardened steel screws.

If you are insistent on going stainless steel go with Team KNK they use a high grade ss for their screws.
A customer of my work (a soda factory) has the best stainless steel screws and bolts wich I can use. I use them with my 3S Arrma's and it works like a charm. Thanks for the warning!

If I were you......
Go to JennysRC.com and get the OE Hardware Kit for the 6s Typhon. Cheaper this way. Arrma OE 6s rig Fasteners are made of 12.9 Grade hardware. Stay with that. Less stripping. Harder grade steel. They are Black Oxide coated , won't rust if you keep them dry.
SS I tried in my crawlers, NG. Always felt SS is too soft for small Hexed Head screws like these. SS also bends easily with impacts in high stress areas of the chassis. Which is most of it .

Last edited:
Those tires won't hold up to 6S very well without help. I ran a similar set on my slashpede 4x4 on 4S with speeds around 50mph and they balloon pretty bad. I wrapped mine to help with it. Also, swap the left front and right rear tire. :)

2021-0604-stampede-motorSide-high-body.jpg

The wheels they are on are really wide offset, which is probably why they used them on the typhon. You may still also have the kraton carriers/axle stubs/hex hubs as well which push the wheels out a bit more yet for clearance. Hard to say without seeing it without the wheels on.

It is all done! The car absolutely flies! What a beast! I have put in the latest version of HW Max8 in it with a HW max8 motor.
And yes, the tyres are to big! It will do backflips and tumbles trough the grass so now I have put the Mojave wheels on it. A bit smaller and narrow er. Tomorrow I will drive it on 6S instead of 4S and put a gps on it. I think it goes 90 km/h easily.

Thanx for the advices and tips!

Hobbywing EZRUN 4278SD 2250KV G2 and a Hobbywing EZRUN MAX8 G2 Speed Controller (version 2022)​

Well, i have the Typhon for a couple of weeks now and ran it on 4S and 6S. This thing is absolutely fast! My gps is broken but when i fly by you cant even see it pass by, so fast!
Next thing to do is to put a led lightbar at the front. I have already out a gpm front bumper on it and now I have to figure out how to make the lights... Anybody have an idea?
Greetz!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back