Senton What motor/esc can Senton Mega handle with no upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smirkracing

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Fireteam
  3. Gorgon
  4. Granite
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Typhon 6s
Hi all, looking for some advice... I have a Senton Mega for one of the youngsters in the family. He is fine with the brushed motor and we run on 2s lipo. However, the problem is that the motor is overheating quite regularly (we're running a 6500 mah pack which easily lasts 25-30 min, if not more). We're both getting tired of waiting around for the motor to cool down, so I'm thinking of upgrading the motor.

I don't want to a) break the Senton Mega or b) upgrade it at all (not worth it - will just move to a BLX when the time comes). I am willing to compromise on motor power, torque, and punch. All I care about is being able to run 20-30 min without overheating. To be honest, the kid in question isn't even a speed demon (yet!) so he doesn't mind if the truck tools around in the 20s.

The question is, what kind of motor and ESC can the Senton handle without any upgrades? It is clearly doing just fine on the stock brushed motor (we run this truck a lot, and so far no issues at all).

Any recommendations on what to put into this rig? I can go with the usual Castle motor + esc but I'm trying to avoid over-investing in this truck.

Thanks!

I run the max 10 sct in mine which is the mega version and its holding up great will eventually put the 3s spur in but as long as your mesh is good you will be Fine
just gear down and run 2s you won't be much fast but you will have a lot more torque

What version is it? The V3 that was released around 2020 is brushless ready aside from the spur, motor, motor mount, and ESC. Previous versions would need more extensive upgrades to handle the power.

You can get a Spektrum 100A on Jenny's for around $47, and a Spektrum 3200kv motor for around $39, which is an inexpensive way to go for a quick upgrade. I don't own a Mega, so I can't say whether or not you will need to upgrade the pinion and spur gears.

You can go with any of the cheap 3650 brushless motor and esc sets you find on Amazon. You can use Same motor mount, slipper,spur, and pinion. Just stick to 3000-4000kv. Lower Kv will keep it cooler and will prob run longer.
Careful with motor size. I went with 3650 size in a Mega for a child. That motor overheated so fast even when geared down as low as possible.

The torque and power of a 3660 makes a big difference.

Careful with motor size. I went with 3650 size in a Mega for a child. That motor overheated so fast even when geared down as low as possible.

The torque and power of a 3660 makes a big difference.
I agree with dure16: a 3660 would run cooler than a 3650, and it will have more torque. A 3660 should fit into a Mega without modification.

You might want to consider changing the Mega pinion and spur to .8 mod gears: they can better handle the power and torque of the brushless motor.

Had a 3800 3650 in my son's granite with no problems. Don't think I even added a fan. I had already put a 11t on the brushed motor so put that on the 3650.
Also only ran that with nimh batteries.

3660 would definitely be better but it's hard to find 5mm pinion to fit your 48dp spur.

3650 and you can keep everything the way it is (except esc). At most get a fan and heat sink or smaller pinion. 💲

3660 you will need a, slightly stronger esc and pinion 5mm 48dp (not very common) 💲💲or
You will need to change to BLX slipper/spur and pinion.💲💲💲

Last edited:
If I was gonna spend $50 on an ESC it would be the 120a Quicrun over the Spektrum 100a all day. CONSIDERABLY better option for the same hard earned money.
The 10BL120? I agree regarding performance but I wish it was waterproof.

You can get a Spektrum 100A on Jenny's for around $47, and a Spektrum 3200kv motor for around $39, which is an inexpensive way to go for a quick upgrade. I don't own a Mega, so I can't say whether or not you will need to upgrade the pinion and spur gears.

I just picked up another mega on a deal and dropped in this real quick. I ran a few 2s 5000mah 50c packs through it at the track. Motor got way hotter than I expected. I ordered a the fan heat sink and blx mount now off Jenny's. I haven't upgraded the diff or anything but upon inspection it looks great so I suspect on 2s it'll be fine in my opinion. The mega gear ratio is better for what we do anyway.

Not to thread hijack, but will a 3674 fit a BLX motor, lengthways I mean?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back