Outcast What motor should I put in my outcast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogis9

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Looking to upgrade the motor on my outcast. I’m happy with the speed and power of the standard can but it runs very hot which I don’t like. Can anyone recommend some changes for me please.

How hot? Do you check temps with a temp gun?
Are you on stock gearing?

Some times it is best to add cooling fans/heat sink. If you are happy with all the aspects of performance it has currently.

You can slightly reduce temps going with a lower KV and or a larger can motor, however big motors get hot too. Check the specs on the motors, typically they will provide the weight in grams. Adding weight typically leads to poor handling and more breakage when bashing.

TP Power and Leopard both make many affordable options that would work.
For TP you would be looking at 4050 series or larger
first 2 digits are the can diameter, the second 2 relate to the length but are not a measurement like the first 2. For example the 4040 is nearly identical to the stock motor in measurements around a measurement of 40x75mm

Many people have tried the Leopard 4092 and had good things to say about it in the Arrma vehicles.

Last edited:
I would try a cooling fan first. I put the Yeah Racing dual fan on mine and like it a lot.. It will cost you about $25 for something that really should be on there regardless.

I have a single fan castle blower on there at the moment. Not using temp gun just the fact my aspestos fingers can’t touch it. I am going to order the twin fan yeah racing heatsink that clamps on, it’ll have to wait for pay day and then to come to uk from the us

I have a single fan castle blower on there at the moment. Not using temp gun just the fact my aspestos fingers can’t touch it. I am going to order the twin fan yeah racing heatsink that clamps on, it’ll have to wait for pay day and then to come to uk from the us
Not being able to touch it with your fingers doesn’t mean it’s over heating I’d get a temp gun. The fans work but depending on your bashing style they won’t hold up at least my hasn’t. I then bought the aluminum housing yeah racing fan and it’s holding up better.

Not being able to touch it with your fingers doesn’t mean it’s over heating I’d get a temp gun. The fans work but depending on your bashing style they won’t hold up at least my hasn’t. I then bought the aluminum housing yeah racing fan and it’s holding up better.
Can you recommend a decent temp gun?

I bought this one

Attachments

• 12D8257B-DC18-4B13-B73C-1DE8BD22FF47.png
    12D8257B-DC18-4B13-B73C-1DE8BD22FF47.png
    433.8 KB · Views: 44
This is the 2nd post in as many days that I have seen someone mention that a motor feels hot to their hands.

I don't think they realize how little heat a human can handle.

So same as I told the other guy- stick your hand under your hot water on full blast at your sink- and realize that is well below what one of these motors is normally operating at perfectly fine.

This is the 2nd post in as many days that I have seen someone mention that a motor feels hot to their hands.

I don't think they realize how little heat a human can handle.

So same as I told the other guy- stick your hand under your hot water on full blast at your sink- and realize that is well below what one of these motors is normally operating at perfectly fine.
Guess they never ran nitro. :) 250F is what you aim for on those. 300F is hot. When I first started electric, I was like "170F is bad?" LOL!

stick your hand under your hot water on full blast at your sink- and realize that is well below what one of these motors is normally operating at perfectly fine.
Not my hot water. You put your hand under my faucet running full hot and you'll come out with burns.

When it comes to touch, fingers are not very sensitive to heat. You can touch something that's 150+ long enough to get a 1st degree burn before you begin to feel it. It only takes a half a second. I've been using a super cheap temp gun I bought from Menards on Blk Friday 5 yrs ago & it's still going strong, but I only use it a few times a week.

Not my hot water. You put your hand under my faucet running full hot and you'll come out with burns.
Pretty sure his point was that it's not the water being hot or scalding hot, but rather your perception of what hot really is. A 150F motor feels damn hot to your hand!

If u drive aggresively, you need 100+mm tp motor to hold backflip tires without getting hot. I don't know why people like backflips or any other 350grams tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back