What size pinion gear are you using in your Kraton 6s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With stock motor/ESC & tires? That's a pretty big pinion, I think you'll have some serious heat issues. I've run the 15T speed pinion that comes with the Kraton and temps were quite steamy until I added a motor heatsink & fan.

Also consider your driving style and terrain. Grass, inclines, etc will increase heat too. A few speed runs, no problem. A huge capacity battery (meaning long run times) with lots of stopping & starting, more heat.

I would start smaller, check your temps and then up it slowly from there.

Last edited:
With stock motor/ESC & tires? That's a pretty big pinion, I think you'll have some serious heat issues. I've run the 15T speed pinion that comes with the Kraton and temps were quite steamy until I added a motor heatsink & fan.

Also consider your driving style and terrain. Grass, inclines, etc will increase heat too. A few speed runs, no problem. A huge capacity battery (meaning long run times) with lots of stopping & starting, more heat.

I would start smaller, check your temps and then up it slowly from there.
Running a hobby wing set up. Xerun XR8 ESC and a 2200kv motor. Two 3s 50c batteries.

I run 14 on my outcast with a max6 and blx2050kv motor with dual fan cooler on it. The motor stays under 170F and the esc stays under 150F after a hard run to LVC in a grass bmx track. I run backflips that are wrapped with kevlar.

I'm looking to up my pinion size on my Kraton EXB. Running a spektrum 1250kv motor with stock 12t
Any suggestions from you guys with more knowledge?

My guess would be in the 20-24 range, depending on what you do with it. That's a good size can. If 1250 isn't a typo.

My guess would be in the 20-24 range, depending on what you do with it. That's a good size can. If 1250 isn't a typo.
Yes 1250kv with a spektrum 160amp esc. I'm new to the hobby but from the little knowledge I have acquired i think I'm getting to much torque and need to up my pinion gear.I've bought a 14, 16, and 18 tooth to test. Just working out the differential issues first.

Really depends what you want but I'd be above 20T with such a low KV motor. Probably more in the 22-24T range. It's not made to be a crawler ;)

My guess, you'd be ~ 20-25mph with the 12T, double to 24T and you are ~ 50mph, pending surface.
Anything below 40mph is really not worth it imho. You definetly can't jump at that speed. Typically people don't run such low KV in the 6S Kraton's. I run 18T on my 1650kV.

Yes 1250kv with a spektrum 160amp esc. I'm new to the hobby but from the little knowledge I have acquired i think I'm getting to much torque and need to up my pinion gear.I've bought a 14, 16, and 18 tooth to test. Just working out the differential issues first.
I just switched to the 1250kv motor with an MMX8S and was running 18T and will probably go up a few teeth, probably 20T. Plenty of torque, just a lack of top end speed.

Thanks for that info. Basically was sold by my local hobby store, they probably got me there and on batteries based on my lack of knowledge. Sold me 30c rating batteries but my esc calls for 50c minimum. Sad but they cant compete with online prices so screw them. And I'll be talking to them just to see what they say.
I just switched to the 1250kv motor with an MMX8S and was running 18T and will probably go up a few teeth, probably 20T. Plenty of torque, just a lack of top end speed.
Good info. Are you able to get that front end up(wheelies)?

13T, stock electronics.

A formula for finding a starting place. Take the stock motor kv rating and multiply it by the stock pinion tooth count then divide the total by your new kv rating. A 2050 kv motor with a 12t pinion would be equal to a 1250kv motor with a 19.68t pinion. A 19t or 20t pinion will give you a similar top speed to a stock set up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back