What tires are you running on your Arrma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headbangerfacerip

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Outcast 6s
This is just a thread to figure out the most popular tires on 1/8 scale monster trucks. Only reply if your running 3.8 's and they are NOT stock. Give a quick review of them also. Such as ballooning, grip in grass, sand, asphalt, etc.

I will start; I run proline mashers. I wanted something for loose dirt or sand but didn't want straight paddles. Plus I'm a huge fan of the old traxxas style thread but prolines are so much better with time spent on balancing them and making them handle today's brushless monsters. They balloon pretty badly but it doesn't bother me cause i just thicken up the center diff and it helps out. Plus Im not all about blasting speed so it's ok. They provide awsome grip when ripping threw my grass lawn or out in the gravel pit skying up huge sand hills. They even do great on rock hills like the black stone used for drive ways.

Over all I'm super impressed and would recommend them to any basher looking for a nice all around tire with more then enough grip.

20180429_160327.jpg

On my Kraton, non-stock tires -

Various racing truggy wheels. Great on the track, no so great bashing. Most will pizza-cutter on 6s, and balloon pretty decent on 4s.

Louise Pioneer MT 3.8's - huge, I mean YUGE!. Balloon like crazy on 4s, I can't imagine what they would do on 6s. Also snapped a diff pin about 10 minutes into my first run with these tires. But in defense, that pin had been replaced with a piece of a coat hanger... LOL

And recently, running v3 Talion tires on the Kraton. Not stock for the Kraton. :) great tires for bashing, btw, if you don't need the mass for backflips.

Last edited:
I don't have an arrma truck yet, but odds are I'll end up with an outcast and will more than likely run proline trencher 3.8's on it. I have those on my savage flux and brushless revo. My buddy liked them so much he got a set for his talion. He did gear down a bit to not stress his esc/motor since they are quite a bit larger than the badlands he was running before. They are the 3.8 standard, not the X which are wider and I don't think as tall.

They add a lot of cushion to the landings and seem to wear well and grip well on the surfaces we run, grass/concrete skate park. I ran mine on my savage flux at a bmx track with small peagravel/limestone for the surface. They dug in really well.

I'm not sure you'd want to do a WOT backflip with them as they are a thick/heavy tread, so they may be likely to blow out on you. I only run 4S on my trucks. He does run 6S, but has been trying his best to avoid WOT when in the air.

IMG_7120.JPG
Usually swap between 2 sets of backflips, but that's stock.... so here's a set of proline road rage tires. I run these mainly to keep from wearing out the backflips so fast on asphalt. 60/500/30 diff oil keeps the ballooning to a minimum, not nearly as bad as I expected. Suck on dirt and grass, but that's because the backflips have spoiled me in that department :D

20180424_164335.jpg
20180425_172947.jpg
20180526_130957.jpg

I run Big Joe 2 tires on the trails. Never checked the ballooning, just wrapped them with Spyder Wire fishing line. They work great in mud and get excellent traction over big rocks and logs. Think I paid $100 for the set. Got bored and painted the rims, they came pre-mounted. I had to trim the body a little in the front and trimmed the front bumper down. So they wouldn't run. Overall I'm very pleased with their performance.

I have proline bow tie pin tires, trencher x, badlands 3.8, and of course backflips. The pin tires are fun they make it like a truggy. I ran them in the street for 5 mins and worse bald spots on them before I realized it. Pin tires are not for pavement lol. Badlands and trenchers get insane grip. The trenchers are heavy and hard to keep temps down. Great for jumping as they flip good and land soft. The badlands are nice and light and feel good all round. They don’t have enough mass to flip well for me. I had trouble getting the truck to rotate in the air. Backflips are my favorite all around.

I have proline bow tie pin tires, trencher x, badlands 3.8, and of course backflips. The pin tires are fun they make it like a truggy. I ran them in the street for 5 mins and worse bald spots on them before I realized it. Pin tires are not for pavement lol. Badlands and trenchers get insane grip. The trenchers are heavy and hard to keep temps down. Great for jumping as they flip good and land soft. The badlands are nice and light and feel good all round. They don’t have enough mass to flip well for me. I had trouble getting the truck to rotate in the air. Backflips are my favorite all around.
Do you like the backflips more then the mx38's?

I want to buy either trenchers or badlands mx38's not sure which ones i should get.
I have used the 2.8" trenchers and the 2.8" Badlands MX28 (smaller version of the MX38) on my 10th scale Traxxas cars and I can tell you that the Badlands MX series are vastly superior to the trenchers. The trenchers don't grip very well on grass and the Badlands MX have exceptional traction on grass. Both tires work well on dirt, rocks, and pavement. The Badlands MX tread wears down at about the same rate as the trenchers. The original Badlands tires had exceptional grip (just like the backflips) but their main problem is that they wear down very quickly on the road, the Badlands MX addresses this issue while maintaining the awesome grip. The proline pro MT 4x4 (prolines kit car) comes stock with Badlands MX28, which tells you that Proline's tire choice for a monster truck is the Badlands MX (over the trenchers and all of their other tires). However, both the Badlands MX and trenchers balloon like crazy, an issue that the Backflip tires do not have (because they are ribbed on the inside).

I run the 2.8 Badlands on my Typhon. Excellent tires and yes they balloon at speed.

Standing backflips real easy with these 40 series trencher x, stock

Attachments

• IMG_20181015_004618779.jpg
    IMG_20181015_004618779.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 113
I know mashers balloon like crazy but man i love them. I just got a set of slingshots too to get ready for the snow.

I had these on the Outcast, and for $19 a pair they aren't too bad at first. https://www.nitrorcx.com/mad-wc1028.html
The rubber compound actually works very well, however the foams are made out of what looks like recycled fabric of some sort and do absolutely nothing, and saying that the wheels are garbage is an understatement.
7aXoA61.jpg

After a week this is what all 4 wheels looked like.
7sDN56Uh.jpg

I currently have them mounted on DE Racing Truggy wheels, although I need to find a way to make some real foams for them.
mUcc1v4h.jpg

But now I have Proline Shockwaves mounted on my Outcast. I haven't had a chance to test them out yet but I hear good things about them.
FB_IMG_1536508302616 (1).jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back