Typhon What tires for drag racing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLK83

$dirty hands-no money$
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
Hey guys, what's the best tire/wheel combo you've found for drag racing? Thinking about going to a local thing some guys from my lhs put on every Tuesday, I know better than to run the Katars, just seeing what tested combos you guys run/have ran...

Got it, thanks guys!!
Should I tie down the suspension while I'm at it, and I'm guessing center spool if I really want to get serious?

Got it, thanks guys!!
Should I tie down the suspension while I'm at it, and I'm guessing center spool if I really want to get serious?
I don’t think a spool in the center is required. It all depends on the KV of your motor, your diff ratios, cell count, etc. You really have to use a spool to get a smaller spur for the most part. You can run a 40T spur on the stock diff cup, which should be plenty for most setups.

Ok, thanks! Any advice on where to start with a pinion? I'm running a 1260kv, 46t spur, and diffs 10/43 on 6s

Got it, thanks guys!!
Like Jondilly mentioned, a center spool isn't required, unless you have an aggressive set up. As far as the suspension, adjust your droop and set your car to a height that you feel comfortable with. Then, adjust your shock collars, to a stiffness that suits you.
Ok, thanks! Any advice on where to start with a pinion? I'm running a 1260kv, 46t spur, and diffs 10/43 on 6s
What kind of RC are you drag racing and are you running 132 ft or 188 ft?

Got it, thanks guys!!
Probably not the best idea to tie down your suspension. In drag racing weight transfer is an important component and you want your rear end to be able to squat under acceleration which helps transfer power to the pavement. I don't have a whole lot of drag experience but so far I've preferred having a center diff. Moving to a spool would have the advantage of, essentially, eliminating the possibility of diffing out and ensure that all four wheels are spinning at the same rate. My gut, however, tells me that while this would be great under ideal conditions (or when using sticky tire prep sauce), I can see this being an issue if you're on a track with variable traction down the lane. This is just speculative based on a layman's understanding of traction physics, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
It's a 6s Typhon, and this is FAR from any sort of serious endeavor into dragging, I just want to show up, maybe make a few people angry, and leave lol, not looking to set any records, just looking for a solid starting point. Any and all advice is appreciated!

It's a 6s Typhon, and this is FAR from any sort of serious endeavor into dragging, I just want to show up, maybe make a few people angry, and leave lol, not looking to set any records, just looking for a solid starting point. Any and all advice is appreciated!
Here's some good tips on suspension tuning for drag racing. Yes, this is a 2WD no prep racer, but the principles still apply. This should help you get pointed in the right direction...literally :)

Well, I personally think the higher the KV, the better for drag racing. You want your motor to spin as fast as it can, right off the line. I've tried a lot of different set ups; low KV, high KV, Castle, Hobbywing, Spektrum, and TP. Best set up for me hands down was a Castle XLX2 with a TP motor.
Let's break down your set up. 3.7 volts X 6 cell = 22.2 Volts X 1260 KV = 27,972 RPM's. Your motor will spin 27,972 per minute. If you were to run a motor that is 2200 KV; 22.2 Volts X 2200 KV = 48,840. Your motor would spin that much faster.
If you do keep your current set up, you will have to gear up big time. I would say something like a 30T pinion gear with a 34T spur gear.

Well, I personally think the higher the KV, the better for drag racing. You want your motor to spin as fast as it can, right off the line. I've tried a lot of different set ups; low KV, high KV, Castle, Hobbywing, Spektrum, and TP. Best set up for me hands down was a Castle XLX2 with a TP motor.
Let's break down your set up. 3.7 volts X 6 cell = 22.2 Volts X 1260 KV = 27,972 RPM's. Your motor will spin 27,972 per minute. If you were to run a motor that is 2200 KV; 22.2 Volts X 2200 KV = 48,840. Your motor would spin that much faster.
If you do keep your current set up, you will have to gear up big time. I would say something like a 30T pinion gear with a 34T spur gear.
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for! I have a pps mount, so maybe I can jam a 30t pinion in there and hope for the best... not really looking to deviate too far from my bash setup other than a tire swap, just wanted to give it a try and see if the drag racing scene is for me

So..... I finally got around to getting the Typhon setup, went with xx pink bsr tires, limitless spool with a 39t gear, am currently running a 22t pinion as it was the biggest I had in my box. Im running a 5000mah 6s battery, 1260kv castle 1717 and mmx8s. only ran it in the parking lot at work which is pretty smooth asphalt, car leaves and drives surprisingly straight, but seems slow from other cars I've seen. My question is: am I even close with the gearing? seems like its spinning hard and the motor is tached out in the first 10-15ft, should I try some tire prep first, or bump the pinion up first? another question: do you guys preload the wheelie bar or leave the tire floating off the ground a few mm? or is it just trial and error? TIA to any and all of the drag gurus that can help out!!

Ok, I ran to my lhs and grabbed a 34T pinion, wow, what a difference! according to the gearing calculator, I'm geared for 65.1mph. Changing to 8s instead of 6s says I'll be at 86.7mph, is that where I want to be? was really hoping to stay on 6s but I suppose there's no substitute for voltage...

Ok, I ran to my lhs and grabbed a 34T pinion, wow, what a difference! according to the gearing calculator, I'm geared for 65.1mph. Changing to 8s instead of 6s says I'll be at 86.7mph, is that where I want to be? was really hoping to stay on 6s but I suppose there's no substitute for voltage...
For 132ft pulls you want to gear for around 70mph and for 188ft pulls 80-85mph.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back