What to do....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I’ll make this as brief as I can. There are two LHS’s near me. One is a Hobbytown and all he carries are 1/10 scale rigs. He has the Mega trucks and the Granite BLX. He also has a bunch of low end junk and Traxxas. The owner is nice enough but really doesn’t know his customers. He won’t stock an Arrma 6s rig because he says, ‘it won’t sell." I usually grab small stuff from this guy like oils and paints. I did buy my Granite Mega and BLX from him.

The other LHS carries a ton of stuff. They have a huge inventory and just recently started carrying Arrma (in large part because of me). It’s owned by 2 brothers in their 20’s. The younger one always helps me out, has fabbed parts for me in the store and does all my soldering for free. Total stand up guys.

So I was in the large LHS yesterday and they had several Super Rock Rey’s in stock. I’ve been talking about getting one for a while and he knows I’m interested. I managed to make it out without buying one. I impressed myself.

Today I run to the small Hobbytown for some shock oil (it’s closer to me). To my surprise he has a Super Rock Rey on display. First thing I said was, "I can’t belive you are stocking one of these!” He goes on to tell me that the only reason he has one is that they told him he could return it if it isn’t sold by April. So making small talk I say, "$800, right?" He comes back with, "Uh, something like that. I think maybe it’s $699. That or $799. Let me look."

Now I know it’s $799. I jokingly say, "I know it’s $799 but if you want to sell it to me for $699, I’m in!" I am totally kidding with him. This is when he comes back with, "How about I sell it to you for $750?"

This is where I hem and haw and tell him I need to find a place big enough to run it first. But the truth is, I have been talking about this truck with the other guy for 2 months. I would feel like a complete scumbag if I bought it from this guy. The other shop has always treated me right and 9 out if 10 times I end up arguing with this guy because he’s a freaking know it all.

So here is my dilemma. When I go to buy the SRR from the two brothers, do I mention that the small LHS offered it to me for $50 off and see what they say? Or do I just pay full price without saying a thing?

Hobbytown USA is a big corporate entity run by morons. Go with the true enthusiasts and the great customer service of the other guys.

Also, see if they will match the $750.
Option 1. They say yes and all is well
Option 2. They say no and you go buy from Hobbytown
Option 3. They say no and you buy from them anyway.

66% chance it goes your way and you end up happy. :)

Hobbytown USA is a big corporate entity run by morons. Go with the true enthusiasts and the great customer service of the other guys.

Also, see if they will match the $750.
Option 1. They say yes and all is well
Option 2. They say no and you go buy from Hobbytown
Option 3. They say no and you buy from them anyway.

66% chance it goes your way and you end up happy. :)

Actually Hobbytown is a franchise. The one near me is independently owned.

Under no circumstances will I buy it from Hobbytown. Option 2 is off the table. My fear is if I say something they will feel like I’m strong arming them.

Actually Hobbytown is a franchise. The one near me is independently owned.

Under no circumstances will I buy it from Hobbytown. Option 2 is off the table. My fear is if I say something they will feel like I’m strong arming them.

So options 1 and 3 it is!! I mean, is $50 really a huge deal if you are about to drop 800 bones?

They run a business and know that price point is important. They will understand.

I don't think you would offend them if you told them that the Hobbytown offered it to you for $50 off. They are a business and understand that people will go into other stores and see what they all have.

But you could also look at it as you are getting $50 off of the rig and are now paying $50 for the soldering services and other help that they have provided for you. I know back before I had a soldering station I paid like $50 to have like 16 batteries and 6 vehicles swapped over for connectors.

Since that shop is so welcoming and actually care about the hobby and willing to help people out for free, I know that's where I would bring my business myself. I wish I had a hobby shop like that near me.

Let us know what you decide and if you get that Super Rock Rey I better be seeing pictures and videos of it!

I think you first have to sell it to yourself, so admit you will buy it. And i agree with all of the above, buy it where you get great service, thats priceless.
And after all, whats 50 bucks in this hobby, peanuts right?

My LHS is a guy who converted his house into hobhy shop. Pain in the neck to get there but sometimes I make the trip. Nice guy and does most of his business online. He always knocks of a bit if I pay cash. Maybe ask the guys if theyd do a little better if you paid cash.

I'd go with the two guys who always help you out. Kinda like giving back for all the freebies they do for you. You could mention the other price and see what they say. What ever they decide to do, they'll know your a loyal customer to buy from them and it may strengthen the relationship.

I would give my business to the two brothers. We need to keep all the good mom and pop hobby stores around as long as possible. As far as your purchase I would tell them about the hobby town price if they match it great if not I hope you still pull the trigger. I think those super Rey’s are soo cool and would love to see you get one and post lots of pics and videos. Good luck

As I've mentioned before, I have a ton of hobby shops within a 50km radius of me, plus, I'm in sales and on the road a lot. I pop in to all them to look around and maybe grab a part or tool when I do. Bought both of my full kit purchases (yeah, only two so far) were from the same store. Why? Because I like them more than I like the others. Do I get the best deal? Who knows. If it was always about the best deal, i would probably shop online exclusively. Am i getting taken to the bank? Doubt it. I think we've all come to the understanding that the RTR's aren't marked up that much, and the money's in the parts, electronics and upgrades. Yeah, $50 is $50, but to save it, you risk severing the relationship with the shop you like more. Why not just ask them if they could do better on the price, without bringing up the other shop?

I’ll make this as brief as I can. There are two LHS’s near me. One is a Hobbytown and all he carries are 1/10 scale rigs. He has the Mega trucks and the Granite BLX. He also has a bunch of low end junk and Traxxas. The owner is nice enough but really doesn’t know his customers. He won’t stock an Arrma 6s rig because he says, ‘it won’t sell." I usually grab small stuff from this guy like oils and paints. I did buy my Granite Mega and BLX from him.

The other LHS carries a ton of stuff. They have a huge inventory and just recently started carrying Arrma (in large part because of me). It’s owned by 2 brothers in their 20’s. The younger one always helps me out, has fabbed parts for me in the store and does all my soldering for free. Total stand up guys.

So I was in the large LHS yesterday and they had several Super Rock Rey’s in stock. I’ve been talking about getting one for a while and he knows I’m interested. I managed to make it out without buying one. I impressed myself.

Today I run to the small Hobbytown for some shock oil (it’s closer to me). To my surprise he has a Super Rock Rey on display. First thing I said was, "I can’t belive you are stocking one of these!” He goes on to tell me that the only reason he has one is that they told him he could return it if it isn’t sold by April. So making small talk I say, "$800, right?" He comes back with, "Uh, something like that. I think maybe it’s $699. That or $799. Let me look."

Now I know it’s $799. I jokingly say, "I know it’s $799 but if you want to sell it to me for $699, I’m in!" I am totally kidding with him. This is when he comes back with, "How about I sell it to you for $750?"

This is where I hem and haw and tell him I need to find a place big enough to run it first. But the truth is, I have been talking about this truck with the other guy for 2 months. I would feel like a complete scumbag if I bought it from this guy. The other shop has always treated me right and 9 out if 10 times I end up arguing with this guy because he’s a freaking know it all.

So here is my dilemma. When I go to buy the SRR from the two brothers, do I mention that the small LHS offered it to me for $50 off and see what they say? Or do I just pay full price without saying a thing?

I'd shoot straight with the shop that takes care of you. If they can't afford to match the Traxxas shop's discount, no big deal. You get lots of support from your guys that have recently brought on Arrma at your suggestion. If it's $50, I'd pay more for the support of the guys that you enjoy dealing with. I'd also let them know that you're paying more because you appreciate their service and mention that maybe down the road they could hook you up?
I'm big on loyalty and not big on know-it-alls. It's fortunate that you at least have options. My single shop is 45 minutes away and they're stuck on Traxxas. Nice enough guys and old school, but they really haven't shown me any reason to be perfectly loyal.... I haven't really tried though so there's that too.
I'd treat the two brothers as friends and shoot straight without trying to beat em down or get them to lose $ on a sale. A friend does your soldering, a know-it-all just knows it all.
Again, yes. I'd mention that the small shop offered a nice discount but you prefer working with guys that are humble, helpful and personable.
I spend money with lots of different companies in my work and I always pay for service and attitude above one-time, low-ball deals.

Hopefully I understood your concern and this is my input according to how I translated your initial post.

I'm definitely buying from the brothers. That was never a question ? I'm not going to say anything and just buy it. If it comes up after the fact, so be it ?

I'm definitely buying from the brothers. That was never a question ? I'm not going to say anything and just buy it. If it comes up after the fact, so be it ?
Fair enough but I would let em know the whole picture if it were me. I'd let em know because I want them to feel appreciated and understand why I'm buying from them. Buying from them because they take care of you with soldering and because they seem to be better at dealing with people and especially *you.
When I charge more than the next guy it comes with service and service requires more energy and work imo. Loyalty is huge these days.
I want people to tell me why they'll spend more with me and they'll absolutely get more return on that investment than they expected. Under promise and over deliver.

Surely the most important thing is the long term support, $50 is nothing to pay for respect and on going assistance. Rather than $50 off maybe ask for something worth $50 to be thrown in, that way you both walk away with a little.

So how soon before we see the SRR?

It will probably be a little bit. First, we are still in the middle of winter so I can’t run my trucks nearly as much as I want. Second, I really need to find a spot to run it. I can get away with running my 1/10 scale stuff in my yard but the SRR is big. Third is a combination of money and my existing Rock Rey. I look at what I have into it and I know I am going to want many of the same things for the SRR. Losi has released some upgrades for the SRR.

Trailing arms: $90
Axle housing upper track rod mount: $55
Aluminum rear shock towers: $150
Lower trailing arm mounts: $42
Upper track rod mount: $42
Aluminum steering servo mount: $65

I have all those mods and more on my Rock Rey. Just those total $444. I’ll also need at least two 4s batteries. So as you can see it’s a pricey proposition. And I still haven’t even run my Rock Rey with all the new upgrades. So for all those reasons I am going to hold off for now. Will I get it eventually? Yeah. I know myself too well. But right now I have 9 trucks that I can’t really run because of the weather, so waiting until spring (and some more infomon the SRR) makes sense.

I'm going to the shop where I bought mine today. Need a XT 90 plug for my charger that came in yesterday. I'm hoping they don't have a BRCC in stock, cause if I see it, i might want to join the Bickety Bounce club. Yes i just made that up, but I think it's gonna stick(ety)?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back