Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What Transmitter to buy???

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by TnArrmaFan, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

1. TnArrmaFan

TnArrmaFan Premium Member!
    Premium Member ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    Granite, Nero
    I'm about to invest in 2 new transmitters. What should I consider?

So I know there's probably a great thread on here, but I've yet to find it. (Feel free to link it if you know one) However while searching I've noticed a ton of people mention the Spektrum line of transmitters and receivers.

What do you use and why did you upgrade to it?

Thanks all!!

Martins likes this.
  2. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Premium Member!
    Premium Member ArrmaForum Fan Excellence Award

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
    Really it depends on your budget, and desire for "very nice" or "bang for the buck"

Myself, I often look for "Bang for the buck". My upgraded radio is the Radiolink RC4G/Ts4g - mine is the older version, there is the new RC4GS now. Radio is about $50-$60 bucks, extra RX's are $9-$12. To me RX cost is huge - I have a lot of cars, and probably 6-10 RX (lost count) Some Spktrum or Swansa RX can cost $50-$90, so that can be a huge factor...

For the RC4GS - it has all the normal "computer radio" function - 10 Model memory, EPA, DR, Expo, throttle curves, 4 channels with various programing to control channel 3 and 4... The Bonus Features for this radio - each RX has a gyro in it, and the TX has a CH3 knob that controls gain for the Gyro. Or turn the gyro off, and you can use CH3 for whatever you want, and have a knob for proportional control.
    There is a long thread over on RCG for this radio, tons of info over there.
    RC4GS -
    https://www.banggood.com/search/rc4g.html?sbc=1

And there is a 6 channel version, if you feel the need -
    https://www.banggood.com/RadioLink-...r-For-RC-Car-Boat-p-1259820.html?rmmds=search

TnArrmaFan likes this.
  3. TnArrmaFan

Arrma RC's:
    Granite, Nero
    Thanks!!!! Jerry-rigged... always seem like a wealth of knowledge on here. Or at least the best way to keep your wealth on here.

Do you feel as though these transmitters and receivers have any slower response time than the other more expensive brands?

I won't have 6-10 rcs running but rather about 3-4 so I'm not too concerned about the receiver prices.

Thanks!

Anyone else have suggestions or want to say what they are using???

4. WoodiE

WoodiE Kind of good admin
    Staff Member

I use and highly recommend Futaba!

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Premium Member!

Arrma RC's:
    Granite, Kraton
    I was using an 11 year old Spektrum DX3 for my Arrma Granite and my old Losi Muggy.
    20180810_075221.jpg

The receiver in the Granite came from a Savage that I used to run. The transmitter still works well and has all the adjustments that I need, including exponential steering that does not limit the end points like the stock radio does. The grip is nice and it feels good in my hand. It's been a fantastic radio. I paid $150 for it 11 years ago.

I am using the stock radio for my Kraton and my Senton Mega 4x4. I hate them and consider them junk. Yesterday I picked up a new Spektrum DX5C for $130 from a LHS. The 4 channel version is a little cheaper but he was out. Not sure what I need 5 channels for, lol.
    20180810_075242.jpg

I going to use this for my Kraton. I don't think I'll get another receiver for my Senton. The Senton is my most "noob" friendly truck I own and I like to let my girlfriend or nephews run it while I run my other trucks. I'll probably get a receiver for my Muggy unless the 11 year old receiver in it will bind to the new radio. The owner of the LHS said it probably won't though since it is DSM and the new radio is DSMR.

Anyway, my original Spektrum has been bullet proof. I've dropped it countless times and the only thing broken is the antenna (an easy fix). I'm hoping the new radio is every not as good.

6. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Premium Member!
    Premium Member ArrmaForum Fan Excellence Award

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
    The new version of the Radiolink is supposed to be about 12ms latency. Most of the flysky radios run over 20ms. Most of the high dollar racer radios will be under 10ms, some down to 2ms-3ms.
    But can you tell a difference? For bashing, I don't think the difference between 12ms and 6ms would matter at all. If you are a pretty good racer, you may notice the difference.

7. TnArrmaFan

Arrma RC's:
    Granite, Nero
    Wow you're right I doubt I would know the difference between those! Thanks for the specifics!!

8. TnArrmaFan

Arrma RC's:
    Granite, Nero
    Do you have a favorite?

9. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Premium Member!

I've used spektrum for 15+ years. Have always had just horrid range with them. 75 yards or less. I stuck with them because I usually didn't drive that far away running nitro as if you flip and your that far away, it flames out, so I was usually within 50 yards of my truck.

When I got my first 1/5th scale, then the range was an issue because they can go and go on a tank of gas.

All the spektrum receivers I had up to 5 years ago were single wire. 2,3,4 channel, but single wire. Then I found a knock off "orange" DSM compatible receiver for $8 from China. They had a dual wire antenna (dipole, shielded outside with the signal wire sticking out the tip an inch). Those would give me 300+ yards of range. Further than I could see to drive. I had 7 vehicles, so I had bought 8 or 9 receivers just in case I got another. I ran those for quite a while, but they started dying on me. Just out of the blue, my range would drop to 50 yards. One by one, they started to die in all my trucks. First my brushless revo, then my jato, then my stampede, then my savage...

I've since found a spektrum 2 channel that works for me, Spektrum SR210, that has the dipole antenna as well. It gives me as good of range as the orange ones. So, I started buying those since I could get them locally and not wait for 2+ weeks like the Orange ones I was using. They seem to hold up longer as well. I now have them in 4 or 5 of my trucks. As the orange ones die, I replace them with the SR210.

I would have given up on spektrum, but I had so many trucks and spending $50+ on 7+ receivers wasn't something I really wanted to do by going with futaba or airtronics or some other name brand.

Currently, I'm using the Spektrum DX3C transmitter. Wouldn't mind upgrading to one that has the built in antenna that doesn't stick out, but this has been fine the past 4 years or so.

I had the same range issue with the DX2, DX3, DX3.0, DX3R. Wasn't until I found the coaxial antenna receiver that my range issues were fixed.

• Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer