What Transmitter to buy???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnArrmaFan

I Control Cars Remotely
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Nero
I'm about to invest in 2 new transmitters. What should I consider?

So I know there's probably a great thread on here, but I've yet to find it. (Feel free to link it if you know one) However while searching I've noticed a ton of people mention the Spektrum line of transmitters and receivers.

What do you use and why did you upgrade to it?

Thanks all!!

Really it depends on your budget, and desire for "very nice" or "bang for the buck"

Myself, I often look for "Bang for the buck". My upgraded radio is the Radiolink RC4G/Ts4g - mine is the older version, there is the new RC4GS now. Radio is about $50-$60 bucks, extra RX's are $9-$12. To me RX cost is huge - I have a lot of cars, and probably 6-10 RX (lost count) Some Spktrum or Swansa RX can cost $50-$90, so that can be a huge factor...

For the RC4GS - it has all the normal "computer radio" function - 10 Model memory, EPA, DR, Expo, throttle curves, 4 channels with various programing to control channel 3 and 4... The Bonus Features for this radio - each RX has a gyro in it, and the TX has a CH3 knob that controls gain for the Gyro. Or turn the gyro off, and you can use CH3 for whatever you want, and have a knob for proportional control.
There is a long thread over on RCG for this radio, tons of info over there.
RC4GS -
https://www.banggood.com/search/rc4g.html?sbc=1

And there is a 6 channel version, if you feel the need -
https://www.banggood.com/RadioLink-...r-For-RC-Car-Boat-p-1259820.html?rmmds=search

Thanks!!!! Jerry-rigged... always seem like a wealth of knowledge on here. Or at least the best way to keep your wealth on here.

Do you feel as though these transmitters and receivers have any slower response time than the other more expensive brands?

I won't have 6-10 rcs running but rather about 3-4 so I'm not too concerned about the receiver prices.

Thanks!

Anyone else have suggestions or want to say what they are using???

I was using an 11 year old Spektrum DX3 for my Arrma Granite and my old Losi Muggy.
20180810_075221.jpg

The receiver in the Granite came from a Savage that I used to run. The transmitter still works well and has all the adjustments that I need, including exponential steering that does not limit the end points like the stock radio does. The grip is nice and it feels good in my hand. It's been a fantastic radio. I paid $150 for it 11 years ago.

I am using the stock radio for my Kraton and my Senton Mega 4x4. I hate them and consider them junk. Yesterday I picked up a new Spektrum DX5C for $130 from a LHS. The 4 channel version is a little cheaper but he was out. Not sure what I need 5 channels for, lol.
20180810_075242.jpg

I going to use this for my Kraton. I don't think I'll get another receiver for my Senton. The Senton is my most "noob" friendly truck I own and I like to let my girlfriend or nephews run it while I run my other trucks. I'll probably get a receiver for my Muggy unless the 11 year old receiver in it will bind to the new radio. The owner of the LHS said it probably won't though since it is DSM and the new radio is DSMR.

Anyway, my original Spektrum has been bullet proof. I've dropped it countless times and the only thing broken is the antenna (an easy fix). I'm hoping the new radio is every not as good.

Thanks!!!! Jerry-rigged... always seem like a wealth of knowledge on here. Or at least the best way to keep your wealth on here.

Do you feel as though these transmitters and receivers have any slower response time than the other more expensive brands?

I won't have 6-10 rcs running but rather about 3-4 so I'm not too concerned about the receiver prices.

Thanks!

Anyone else have suggestions or want to say what they are using???

The new version of the Radiolink is supposed to be about 12ms latency. Most of the flysky radios run over 20ms. Most of the high dollar racer radios will be under 10ms, some down to 2ms-3ms.
But can you tell a difference? For bashing, I don't think the difference between 12ms and 6ms would matter at all. If you are a pretty good racer, you may notice the difference.

The new version of the Radiolink is supposed to be about 12ms latency. Most of the flysky radios run over 20ms. Most of the high dollar racer radios will be under 10ms, some down to 2ms-3ms.
But can you tell a difference? For bashing, I don't think the difference between 12ms and 6ms would matter at all. If you are a pretty good racer, you may notice the difference.

Wow you're right I doubt I would know the difference between those! Thanks for the specifics!!

I've used spektrum for 15+ years. Have always had just horrid range with them. 75 yards or less. I stuck with them because I usually didn't drive that far away running nitro as if you flip and your that far away, it flames out, so I was usually within 50 yards of my truck.

When I got my first 1/5th scale, then the range was an issue because they can go and go on a tank of gas.

All the spektrum receivers I had up to 5 years ago were single wire. 2,3,4 channel, but single wire. Then I found a knock off "orange" DSM compatible receiver for $8 from China. They had a dual wire antenna (dipole, shielded outside with the signal wire sticking out the tip an inch). Those would give me 300+ yards of range. Further than I could see to drive. I had 7 vehicles, so I had bought 8 or 9 receivers just in case I got another. I ran those for quite a while, but they started dying on me. Just out of the blue, my range would drop to 50 yards. One by one, they started to die in all my trucks. First my brushless revo, then my jato, then my stampede, then my savage...

I've since found a spektrum 2 channel that works for me, Spektrum SR210, that has the dipole antenna as well. It gives me as good of range as the orange ones. So, I started buying those since I could get them locally and not wait for 2+ weeks like the Orange ones I was using. They seem to hold up longer as well. I now have them in 4 or 5 of my trucks. As the orange ones die, I replace them with the SR210.

I would have given up on spektrum, but I had so many trucks and spending $50+ on 7+ receivers wasn't something I really wanted to do by going with futaba or airtronics or some other name brand.

Currently, I'm using the Spektrum DX3C transmitter. Wouldn't mind upgrading to one that has the built in antenna that doesn't stick out, but this has been fine the past 4 years or so.

I had the same range issue with the DX2, DX3, DX3.0, DX3R. Wasn't until I found the coaxial antenna receiver that my range issues were fixed.

I think I'm going to try a Traxxas TSM receiver and transmitter in hopes that it solves the sloppy steering issue. I am constantly adjusting the steering trim on the stock transmitter/receiver. I really like the TSM on my Rustler

I think I'm going to try a Traxxas TSM receiver and transmitter in hopes that it solves the sloppy steering issue. I am constantly adjusting the steering trim on the stock transmitter/receiver. I really like the TSM on my Rustler

It is not a radio issue, it is a mechanical issue.

It is not a radio issue, it is a mechanical issue.
I know it is rooted as a mechanical issue, however, the TSM doesn't care how the car gets misdirected, it will continue to keep the tires pointing the same direction. This is independent upon steering. I believe it has a sensor that auto adjusts the steering. You can actually pick the car up and move it and the tires will turn automatically to keep the car pointing in the same direction.

I am not 100% sure if it would help correct the issue, but from my examination between my Granite and Rustler, I believe it would help significantly. I never need to adjust the steering trim on the Rustler, even if it is off center, because the TSM will continuously adjust the center as it is moving (unless you actually give it the signal to turn).

Just a thought I had.

My new Spektrum came with a gyro that auto corrects. I used it for one pack and then turned it off. I didn't care for it .

I know it is rooted as a mechanical issue, however, the TSM doesn't care how the car gets misdirected, it will continue to keep the tires pointing the same direction. This is independent upon steering. I believe it has a sensor that auto adjusts the steering. You can actually pick the car up and move it and the tires will turn automatically to keep the car pointing in the same direction.

I am not 100% sure if it would help correct the issue, but from my examination between my Granite and Rustler, I believe it would help significantly. I never need to adjust the steering trim on the Rustler, even if it is off center, because the TSM will continuously adjust the center as it is moving (unless you actually give it the signal to turn).

Just a thought I had.

You would just be masking the issue and you could possibly end up with a burnt out steering servo if the yaw control on the receiver is constantly trying to correct for it and the servo is at it's turning limit.

Just a thought I had.
That is what the gyro does on the Radiolink Rc4gs that @Jerry-rigged linked to.

Ah, I didn't realize that the other receivers had a similar feature. So, independent upon preference of using the Gyro sensor, do any of you feel that if helps keep the truck steering straight? I actually really like the TSM about halfway up on my Rustler.

Note: My 7 year-old son is the one driving it, and he is always complaining that it won't stay straight. I'm just trying to find a solution so it is easier for him to control. I am constantly adjusting the steering trim for him. Compared to my Rustler the Granite's center is always shifting.

The gyro in my RC4G won't correct for steering slop - it is better at correcting hard/quick side bumps - like landing off center, or fishtailing. The only way I could see a gyro system working to correct for slop-induced steering trim issues would be if it has a compass based 'heading holding' ability, like some drones do for headless mode. That tech exists, but I have not seen it used in a car.

M
The gyro in my RC4G won't correct for steering slop - it is better at correcting hard/quick side bumps - like landing off center, or fishtailing. The only way I could see a gyro system working to correct for slop-induced steering trim issues would be if it has a compass based 'heading holding' ability, like some drones do for headless mode. That tech exists, but I have not seen it used in a car.

My new Spektrum receiver has "heading hold". This is what the manual states:

"Heading hold maintains the selected vehicle direction. Is normal to see the wheels steer in the same direction it was last pointed. If a vehicle with AVC technology is lifted off the ground and turned from side to side, the wheels will steer in an effort to get back to the original heading. when driving, heading hold only works when the steering wheel is left straight. the moment you begin to turn the wheel, heading hold turns off. When the wheel is recentered, heading hold is turned back on."

Sounds very similar to the way Traxass TSM works... but the manual does not state it like that. Traxxas states TSM works best on low traction surfaces and that you may want to turn the feature down or off on high traction surfaces.
Here is a section on it:

"Traxxas Stability Management or TSM allows you to experience all the speed and acceleration that was engineered into your Traxxas model by helping you to maintain control of the vehicle in low-traction situations. TSM helps provide straight ahead full-throttle acceleration on slippery surfaces, without fishtailing, spinouts, or loss of control. TSM also dramatically improves braking control. High speed cornering and control is also made possible as TSM makes corrections for you, without intruding on your fun, or creating unexpected side effects."

I have Spektrum AVC set up on my 2wd Granite BLX, which has gobs of steering slop, and it tracks straight as an arrow 100% of the time. I trimmed it initially with the AVC off using sub trim and have not touched it since. Traditional trim is quite literally no longer needed. Also, sloppy steering with this system will not burn up a servo. It is constantly making small corrections regardless of slop.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back