Kraton What truck to buy?

Ole Fart51

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Talion
My friend asked me to recommend a RC truck for his 7 year old son. I only know about the Kraton, Talion, Outcast and Nero. He is looking for something around $300.00. Monster truck or truggy, Two wheel drive is ok with him. He knows nothing about RC so I will be doing all his repairs. I want to get him hooked on Arrma so I need some good recommendations.

dpricenator

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Unless this 7 yr old is an excellent driver 4wd is going to be easier to drive. Like the difference in putting a newly licensed 16 year old behind the wheel of a Dodge Hellcat or an AWD Volvo.

Ole Fart51

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Talion
Unless this 7 yr old is an excellent driver 4wd is going to be easier to drive. Like the difference in putting a newly licensed 16 year old behind the wheel of a Dodge Hellcat or an AWD Volvo.
Any recommendations?

dpricenator

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I thin for a 7 yr old smaller and slower is best. Good thing about smaller, is than slower can seem fast. I have a couple of team associated 18th scale stuff, but they don't seem to have anything I would recommend. Mine are fun but a total pain in the butt to work on. This option may be a pain to work on too, but Axial is coming out with a 1/18 Yeti Jr, that is only $179. Should be tough enough to bash around, but not dangerous if he should hit him self or someone else.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGHSH&P=SM

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90054

ax90054_yeti_rock_racer_28_800px.jpg

Dang it. I just watched the Video on the Axial site. Your question is gonna cost me at least $200. This thing is pretty bad A$$ for a 1/18.

Last edited:

Hye

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
My friend asked me to recommend a RC truck for his 7 year old son. I only know about the Kraton, Talion, Outcast and Nero. He is looking for something around $300.00. Monster truck or truggy, Two wheel drive is ok with him. He knows nothing about RC so I will be doing all his repairs. I want to get him hooked on Arrma so I need some good recommendations.

My 5 year old started with a 2wd stampede. Bought it threw amazon for $189.99. Just looked and seen one for $199. It was great because it has training mode to help get used to the functions. It also does wheelies and kids love that! It's a brushed motor so it doesn't have crazy power so 2wd will be just fine. REALLY easy to work on. A 7 year old will break parts. I recommend a wheelie bar. Get 2 cheap 2s 5000mah lipos with a charger and he will have a lot of fun. With 2 2s 5000mah lipos he will normally get tired before the batteries run out. I own 2 arrma's, a outcast and kraton (I had senton and Nero but I got rid of them). I love arrma but for a 7 year old I'm thinking arrma offers the granite but the stampede is a better buy. When the 7 year olds dad is ready to start bashing with his son(my son and I love bashing together) he should get a arrma or 2 and his 7 year old can transition into the more powerful and amazing kraton or outcast. My 2 cents from my personal experience. It worked out well. Also the traxxas stampede comes in a Bigfoot version which offers different body's. My son got the traxxas skully in red. It looks like a gravedigger but with a face. My 5 year old thinks it's the coolest thing ever.

familybasher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
My 7 year old got a redcat volcano for $130 and enjoys it. 4wd. waterproof. brushed. goes about 20mph. entry level hobby grade. can easily upgrade to brushless when ready.

robl45

Reaction score
Mine loves his outcast but these aren't 300 dollars. I don't think a 7 year old going to be able to handle it either. My son Is 7 and drives on 6s but he started with a mini summit at 3 1/2.

Ole Fart51

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Talion
Don't chew me out too bad, I ended up recommending the Redcat Caldera. The reason I chose this truck for him is, it's the same truck I taught my grandson on two and half years ago. The two and a half year old caldera is still going strong and it's a great beginners truck.

robl45

Reaction score
I was going to get my son a redcat, was thinking of one for myself too, but the parts situation made me stop. Last I checked they don't even sell diff parts, you have to buy a whole diff.