Kraton What truck to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Fart51

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Talion
My friend asked me to recommend a RC truck for his 7 year old son. I only know about the Kraton, Talion, Outcast and Nero. He is looking for something around $300.00. Monster truck or truggy, Two wheel drive is ok with him. He knows nothing about RC so I will be doing all his repairs. I want to get him hooked on Arrma so I need some good recommendations.

Unless this 7 yr old is an excellent driver 4wd is going to be easier to drive. Like the difference in putting a newly licensed 16 year old behind the wheel of a Dodge Hellcat or an AWD Volvo.

I thin for a 7 yr old smaller and slower is best. Good thing about smaller, is than slower can seem fast. I have a couple of team associated 18th scale stuff, but they don't seem to have anything I would recommend. Mine are fun but a total pain in the butt to work on. This option may be a pain to work on too, but Axial is coming out with a 1/18 Yeti Jr, that is only $179. Should be tough enough to bash around, but not dangerous if he should hit him self or someone else.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGHSH&P=SM

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90054

ax90054_yeti_rock_racer_28_800px.jpg

Dang it. I just watched the Video on the Axial site. Your question is gonna cost me at least $200. This thing is pretty bad A$$ for a 1/18.

Last edited:
My friend asked me to recommend a RC truck for his 7 year old son. I only know about the Kraton, Talion, Outcast and Nero. He is looking for something around $300.00. Monster truck or truggy, Two wheel drive is ok with him. He knows nothing about RC so I will be doing all his repairs. I want to get him hooked on Arrma so I need some good recommendations.

My 5 year old started with a 2wd stampede. Bought it threw amazon for $189.99. Just looked and seen one for $199. It was great because it has training mode to help get used to the functions. It also does wheelies and kids love that! It's a brushed motor so it doesn't have crazy power so 2wd will be just fine. REALLY easy to work on. A 7 year old will break parts. I recommend a wheelie bar. Get 2 cheap 2s 5000mah lipos with a charger and he will have a lot of fun. With 2 2s 5000mah lipos he will normally get tired before the batteries run out. I own 2 arrma's, a outcast and kraton (I had senton and Nero but I got rid of them). I love arrma but for a 7 year old I'm thinking arrma offers the granite but the stampede is a better buy. When the 7 year olds dad is ready to start bashing with his son(my son and I love bashing together) he should get a arrma or 2 and his 7 year old can transition into the more powerful and amazing kraton or outcast. My 2 cents from my personal experience. It worked out well. Also the traxxas stampede comes in a Bigfoot version which offers different body's. My son got the traxxas skully in red. It looks like a gravedigger but with a face. My 5 year old thinks it's the coolest thing ever.

My 7 year old got a redcat volcano for $130 and enjoys it. 4wd. waterproof. brushed. goes about 20mph. entry level hobby grade. can easily upgrade to brushless when ready.

Mine loves his outcast but these aren't 300 dollars. I don't think a 7 year old going to be able to handle it either. My son Is 7 and drives on 6s but he started with a mini summit at 3 1/2.

Don't chew me out too bad, I ended up recommending the Redcat Caldera. The reason I chose this truck for him is, it's the same truck I taught my grandson on two and half years ago. The two and a half year old caldera is still going strong and it's a great beginners truck.

I was going to get my son a redcat, was thinking of one for myself too, but the parts situation made me stop. Last I checked they don't even sell diff parts, you have to buy a whole diff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back