What upgrade ESC for my 6S kraton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss81

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Planning on an upgrade ESC for my Kraton 6S.
I've been running a quicrun 150a for like 6yrs. ESC works perfectly but could use more BEC voltage/amperage.

Thoughts?

1. HW Max6 V3
2. Castle Mamba Monster X 1/6
3. HW Max8 V3
4. Castle Mamba Monster X 1/8

Reistically ill never run 8s in my Kraton, but may not hurt to have that option if I get the itch.

I've been running a quicrun 150a for like 6yrs. ESC works perfectly but could use more BEC voltage/amperage.

Thoughts?

1. HW Max6 V3
3. HW Max8 V3

Reistically ill never run 8s in my Kraton, but may not hurt to have that option if I get the itch.
MMX 8s or Max 5. Bigger is better and will run cooler. Only issue is their size but I squeezed the MMX 8s into mine. Max 6 if you want it to sit more like stock.

Max6 fits perfect, (just file down the lip and bolt it from the bottom) is an upgrade in power, more program options and down the road you can run the 45/48mm cans. If you’re happy with the power of the quickrun and just want higher Bec than the Max8.

Thoughts?

1. HW Max6 V3
3. HW Max8 V3

6 yrs thats good never had a esc last that long

You could just add an external BEC to your battery circuit if that's your only complaint. Then again, all the ESCs you listed are tasty upgrades.

Max6 fits perfect, (just file down the lip and bolt it from the bottom) is an upgrade in power, more program options and down the road you can run the 45/48mm cans. If you’re happy with the power of the quickrun and just want higher Bec than the Max8.
I cant imagine getting to a point where my 4092 isn't enough motor.....

Max 6 is what I run with a HW 4092 1730KV 23/50 gearing, Game Changer fan with heatsink on motor
Never have any issues with heat ever. Standin back flips easy peasy. Launch 60feet easy. The Hard part is if you want to race it, its a wheelie machine. Love this set up just make sure you shim diffs inside and out. Center is aluminum Armma case.

You could just add an external BEC to your battery circuit if that's your only complaint. Then again, all the ESCs you listed are tasty upgrades.
I feel like getting a good solder joint with the 10awg wire is hard enough with XT90s without adding the 16awg to fit into the solder whole as well......
Max 6 is what I run with a HW 4092 1730KV 23/50 gearing, Game Changer fan with heatsink on motor
Never have any issues with heat ever. Standin back flips easy peasy. Launch 60feet easy. The Hard part is if you want to race it, its a wheelie machine. Love this set up just make sure you shim diffs inside and out. Center is aluminum Armma case.
My diffs are pretty well bullet proof. I've been running the 4092 1450kv for a handful of years and haven't went through a single diff. I have my center packed with Traxxas 20M weight so I do have the same wheelie issue.

Last edited:
I am running a MMX6s in my Typhon and Outcast, and a MX in my Granite. My Kraton still has a BLX185. I really love the Castle ESCs, they are really smooth, even running unsensored.

I have only had heat issues one day - that was a 95f day and I was pounding my Outcast on 6s with a lot of WOT running on a huge dirt lot. after about 15 minutes, the ESC started to drop to limp mode for a 30sec/1 minute or so to cool off, then it would give me a few more minutes of running.

The MX in my Granite only has a few runs on it, but so far, no heat issues, smooth as silk with a cheap china motor, and the footprint is TINY. I have heard of people running the MX in 1/8 buggys and truggies, but I don't know that I would want to try that, it is just so small... Maybe a 4s buggy for track use, but IDK that it would stand up to 6s hard bashing.

If heat is something you worry about, and you are thinking of going with more motor than a 4074, then I would look to the MM8X.

Thoughts?

1. HW Max6 V3
3. HW Max8 V3

MMX8S is what is in both of my Kraton 6S

I feel like getting a good solder joint with the 10awg wire is hard enough with XT90s without adding the 16awg to fit into the solder whole as well......

My diffs are pretty well bullet proof. I've been running the 4092 1450kv for a handful of years and haven't went through a single diff. I have my center packed with Traxxas 20M weight so I do have the same wheelie issue.
Since its a BASHER, I would put in a Max 6. HW are tougher than Castle all be it with less features. But this is not going in your Limitless or land speed car, so Hobby Wing wins in this esc issue. Just my opinion.

I need one of you to share a pic of the Mamba Monster 8S or Max5 in your 1/8th Kraton. My Quickrun barely fits.

Heres mmx8s in kraton v5 chassis

20210408_142631.jpg

Well I pulled the trigger on a MMX8 and a 4584 1580kv from hobbystar. Will see how it goes.

I was poking around on Amain and saw that Castle now has a 1520 sized motor, sold as a combo with the MMX8. Anyone run this motor? how does it compare to the 1717 and Hobbywing 4892?

Back