Talion What upgrades on your Tally?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgehog

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Here's my wrenchin' list so far:

Voltage Hobbies chassis braces + servo mount/clamps
Savox 1210sg servo
Tekno 16t pinion
Yeah Racing dual tornado motor cooler
Fast Eddie bearing kit
Mylaps RC4 transponder
Jconcepts Mugen mbx7t Finnisher body

parts.JPGtally1.JPG
Obligatory Shelby pic :D
23.JPG

Only because I don't know, and will probably get a better description from you, how does the transponder work and what does it do?

Only because I don't know, and will probably get a better description from you, how does the transponder work and what does it do?

It's for track racing. There's usually a receiver mounted next to the finish line that sends the signal to a local computer. it'll record your lap count, lap time, fastest lap, etc. Some tracks also have a sound system hooked up so it announces your name and lap time each time you cross the line as well.

It's for track racing. There's usually a receiver mounted next to the finish line that sends the signal to a local computer. it'll record your lap count, lap time, fastest lap, etc. Some tracks also have a sound system hooked up so it announces your name and lap time each time you cross the line as well.
Thanks for that. I was hoping you were going to say it was something that could be connected to a smart phone for checking acceleration and speed. Do you race often? Not much in the way of tracks up here near Toronto. An hours drive in any direction from where I am makes it all but impossible to get to one.

I frequent two tracks that are about an hour and a half away but totally worth the ride. great tracks and even better group of people! Started last summer racing my crappy Rustler vxl but still managed to take home a 3rd place in the open class and been hooked ever since.
41450061_10212521665571788_1823900515566616576_n.jpg

Bought the Talion for xmas specifically to run on the "big boys" 1/8th track and will be picking up a proper 1/10 racer kit this spring as well, most likely a Tekno ET410 after breaking my cheap-ass traxxas at the indoor track twice in one day.

Hillside Raceway, Epping NH

Outdoor track:

New indoor track:

I frequent two tracks that are about an hour and a half away but totally worth the ride. great tracks and even better group of people! Started last summer racing my crappy Rustler vxl but still managed to take home a 3rd place in the open class and been hooked ever since.
View attachment 27885

Bought the Talion for xmas specifically to run on the "big boys" 1/8th track and will be picking up a proper 1/10 racer kit this spring as well, most likely a Tekno ET410 after breaking my cheap-ass traxxas at the indoor track twice in one day.

Hillside Raceway, Epping NH

Outdoor track:

New indoor track:
I remember seeing that first video in one of your older posts showcasing your friends Typhon I think. Enjoy your time at the tracks!

Only had the v3 Talion a month, but so far:
HR front and rear chassis braces
Tower 2 tower brace
18 tooth pinion
Shimmed diffs (10k front 500k center 30k rear)
TBone XV4 front bumper
RPM rear skid plate
Rear mud guards
Outcast wing mount & wheelie bar

Love the way this thing handles

Absolutely rips on 6s

IMG_8763.JPG

Voltage Hobbies F/R chassis brace and servo mount
HR slotted motor mount
HR steering hub nuts for pivot balls
17mm King Headz closed wheel nuts
T Bone racing basher front bumper
17T Robinson racing pinion
Hobbywing C4 motor heatsink and fan
Fast eddy bearings
JX CLS 5830HV servo

30k/500k/10K cst F/C/R Team associated diff oil
90/80 wt F/R TLR shock oil

Shimmed front ad rear axles with Kyosho 8x10mm shims
Shimmed diff gear and diffs as recommended in this forum

Looking for wing mount options. Only HR has the low profile wing mount, and that is aluminium, too heavy for my liking

Only had the v3 Talion a month, but so far:
HR front and rear chassis braces
Tower 2 tower brace
18 tooth pinion
Shimmed diffs (10k front 500k center 30k rear)
TBone XV4 front bumper
RPM rear skid plate
Rear mud guards
Outcast wing mount & wheelie bar

Love the way this thing handles

Absolutely rips on 6s

View attachment 27888
your T2T brace is awesome. Seeing you are using the Outcasts wing mount, could you take a pic of how it looks like with the wing mounted and body on? Much appreciated

@Duke and Linger...

How's the heat with those pinions? I see you have a heatsink and cooler for yours Linger, but how does yours handle it with an 18t and no cooler Duke?

I have a 16t for mine because I thought maybe the 17t would be a lil' too much but it's what the guys at the track actually recommend for the same final gear ratio they are all running on. Also the reason I nabbed the yeah racing cooler.

17T is a little too much for off road running, honestly. With the heatsink and fan, we are looking at close to 80 degrees Celsius. So I exercise some discipline when running off road by taking short breaks, each run no longer than 5 minutes. Mind you, this is 80% of the time full throttle in tall grass, rough terrain, ambient temps around 30 degrees or more. Max punch. Its not so bad on road. That's why I am sticking to the Katars. Backflips would kill the motor

I wouldn't technically be "off-roading," meaning it's not rough terrain/thick grass/etc. It'll be run on the track shown in the vid above which is flat dirt and lots of run-up for the big jumps. Lots of guys use that gear ratio to be able to clear the big double doubles and such. Races don't take more than 5-6 minutes either so it wouldn't be run much longer than that at a time without cooldown in-between. :)
I'd be running some 1/8 buggy Proline Blockades or Holeshots most likely as well. I'll start with the 16t at the start of the season and see how it handles the big stuff.
Thanks for the info :)

your T2T brace is awesome. Seeing you are using the Outcasts wing mount, could you take a pic of how it looks like with the wing mounted and body on? Much appreciated
IMG_8775.PNG

I just realized that I don't have a picture of the Talion with the body on, so I captured a screenshot from video

IMG_8765.PNG
IMG_8767.PNG
IMG_8769.PNG

@Duke and Linger...

How's the heat with those pinions? I see you have a heatsink and cooler for yours Linger, but how does yours handle it with an 18t and no cooler Duke?

I have a 16t for mine because I thought maybe the 17t would be a lil' too much but it's what the guys at the track actually recommend for the same final gear ratio they are all running on. Also the reason I nabbed the yeah racing cooler.
It's had 5 or 6 packs run through it off-road with the 18t pinion on 4 and 6s (air temp in the mid 40's). The highest motor temp reading has been 141-142 and that was running the first half of the pack on Katars and the last half on Backflips. I've got a motor fan setup waiting to go in when it warms up outside, but I haven't felt the need for it yet.
I run a 17t on the Outcast and beat on it way harder than the Talion and only hit 150's in this cool weather. Summertime with the motor fan on, it gets up to mid 160's

Awesome, thanks. I'll be running this in the spring/summer so outside temp is def a factor. I've read nothing but good things about that tornado fan, so it should keep me within suitable ranges. My buddy who ran that track with his Talion used a 15t but barely made it over the big doubles so hopefully 16t does the job without having to go up any :)

Seems both of you also shim your diffs. Did you do it just because the forums said to or because you noticed an actual issue without them?

Shimmed for cheap insurance and followed "group think" figuring there'd be minimal repercussions for being wrong. Never had a single breakage internally tho.

speaking of group think....contrary to popular practice, I've found that running heavier viscosity in the rear vs the front on the Talion makes a noticeable improvement in rotation under throttle and an increase in corner exit speed. For point and shoot bashing I can see why you may go with heavier front than rear, but for fastest lap times that hasn't been the case for me.

hot racing front tower, 70w shock oil, 70/150/30 diff oil, shims, sealed bearings... nothing else has broke on that thing to replace... even the servo is still good... lol

Two-tone painted V3 body
HR front chassis brace
HR servo mount
HR delrin hub nuts
RPM arms & mudguards
15T Arrma pinion
MyLaps hybrid transponder
Cheap Amazon DS3218 20Kg Servo

I placed 3rd (out of 6) in club race this weekend on ProLine Caliber tires and had zero issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back