What was your first hobby grade rc car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first was the Hot Bodies Dirt Demon. I love nitro but that thing was hateful. It's in pieces now.
20191009_182222.jpg

I frigging hated my 1/18 Ruckus I seriously tossed it in the trash, I would much rather buy a Traxxas than ever even touch another one of those.
Before my son ran it right into the drain, we managed to burn the motor 3 times. Honestly it sucked. I'm glad it's gone. It's getting replaced my a typhon 3s, which is light years better!

Before my son ran it right into the drain, we managed to burn the motor 3 times. Honestly it sucked. I'm glad it's gone. It's getting replaced my a typhon 3s, which is light years better!
Oh so you didn't even get to experience the butter soft diff gear issues? Wouldn't be so bad if you could just buy a differential or the gears, but nooooo you have to buy an entire gearbox case............@$27.99 a pop!!!!!!!! I stripped 4 diffs, burned up 3 motors, 2 escs, popped the shock caps off constantly and was like bye Felicia (n)

If you want a good mini platform look at LC Racing or Tacon.

Mechanical speed controller, that's old school! I wasn't into RC that far back, but had "rich kid" friends that were. They had RC's with those. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even bother with electric if all I got was a 4-5 minute run time like they did back then.

Awww man, you missed some good times, ceramic resistor mechanical esc's, nothing like burning yourself on the resistor...the days of 15min chargers and 1 min run times on 10 turn triple mag motors... ahhhhhh the good ole days...lol...

Probably the first semi real RC was the Tyco Bandit. Up next (many years later) was the Tamiya Monster Beetle, then the Traxxas Nitro Stampede (truck was great, engine sucked), followed by the RC10GT - which really changed the RC world for me! I still have the RC10GT.

Last edited:
Probably the first semi real RC was the Tyco Bandit. Up next (many years later) was the Tamiya Monster Beetle, then the Traxxas Nitro Stampede, followed by the RC10GT - which really changed the RC world for me! I still have the RC10GT.

The old gold pan rc10 buggy changed our world as well.. team associated always stirred things up back then...

Yep, it started out with the tub chassis. When the blue flat plate came out many years later, I upgraded. I think I still have the tub here somewhere. I had a buddy that had a RC10 buggy - gold tub. We were teenagers - and I couldn't afford anything like that. That was such a cool car. Many years later, the RC10GT came into my world - and it has never left. Still running its original OS .12 engine. Pics here - https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/most-fun-old-rc-cars-you-have-drive.13883/ and here - https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/pics-your-other-rc-cars-not-arrma.13880/page-2.

Last edited:
I pretty much started out 5 months ago with an Redcat Terremoto v2 10 which was a cv pin snapping nightmare and hard to work on as a noob, moved on to a 3s typhon shortly after, have had no real problems with the typhon, got a Hobao hyper Vse Gt kit which I like alot, now I have an Infraction on Backorder cant wait for that thing to ship lol

An exceed 4wd 4wsterring! Got it all built first run and a cop car came by and must have had his radio on the same frequency as mine (about 1986) and the even mad a full speed head first into the corner of a curb! Smashed to pieces on its maiden drive!

An ecx 2wd torment, brushed on NiMH. Lipo and a brushless set followed very soon. Still have it, only the rear and side bumpers, hinge pins and radio cover are still original. I guess it's technically not the same truck anymore ?

Before that, a Nikko Filou 2wd buggy, those things were very well designed for a toy grade. Electromagnetic steering (unbreakable unlike a cheap servo), rear diff, tough bumpers, decent tires, two gear transmission. Stick radio with TWO forward positions. Wish I had pix of it. 8 NiCads it took cost more than the buggy! Damn, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I found it.
s-l300.jpg

Arrma senton 3s BLX

Attachments

• 835919AB-7430-4EB1-9688-D2D61EAC09A6.jpeg
    835919AB-7430-4EB1-9688-D2D61EAC09A6.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 37
I had a kyosho pure ten gp mantis ff that my father got i a shady trade... First bashing experience was with the kyosho dst. They got retired many years ago and now sits somewhere in a shed...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back