What was your first hobby grade rc car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tamiya Boomerang. At this time is the hobby shop there were Kyosho ultima, optima, Tamiya avante, Tamiya grasshooper, smashing pumpkins, Wild Willy M38, Kyosho raider, hi-tech aristocraft kangaroo (one of the first RTR in the world), academy road runner and a french brand with the santana 4WD et MRX 2WD. Most of my batteries were 1200mah NiCad ^^.

Tamiya Super Blackfoot MT Kit!! Back around '90- '91... Gotta thank the Pops for that and getting me in this hobby!! I still have it today! When I get home I'll snap a pic of it!!

Edit: Adding a couple pics, finally home!

Attachments

• 20191009_205229.jpg
    20191009_205229.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20191009_205210.jpg
    20191009_205210.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Not sure they were considered hobby grade...!
I was in love with It.
My dad got himself this one in 1990, when I was 7.
He let me use it all the time, and got me hooked on rc's after that.
tandygoldenarrow005.jpg

And this guy a few years later!, my 1st 4x4!!
vintage-radio-shack-black-phantom-4x4_1_6aff5194aeeb900e7448e2ccd6244004.jpg

Last edited:
Tamiya Frog. Tamiya Hotshot soon after. The Hotshot was badass after you upgraded the suspension and put a bumper on it.
Tamiya Hornet, with an Astro flight drag motor my brother gave me. Had like a 3 minute run time Loll..
I might have had a Hornet, don't remember though.

Tamiya Frog. Tamiya Hotshot soon after. The Hotshot was badass after you upgraded the suspension and put a bumper on it.

I might have had a Hornet, don't remember though.
I wanted a Hotshot real bad, but I got the Manta Ray instead for my 2nd car. I had to mow like 20 lawns to earn the money for it.

Not sure they were considered hobby grade...!
I was in love with It.
My dad got himself this one in 1990, when I was 7.
He let me use it all the time, and got me hooked on rc's after that.
View attachment 50404

And this guy a few years later!, my 1st 4x4!!
View attachment 50405
The Golden Arrow was my first as well. Think I was 11 or 12. My older brothers got it for me for Christmas. Wasn't really "hobby grade"... I broke it on my second run.

Had a legacy bandit it looked just like this one but I never got a pic if it when I owned it. (Pic is not mine but looks just like mine) then one day the mechanical speed controller burned out. Ended up recycling it a few years later due to the fact some of the parts fit my rustler.
index(5).jpg

Had a legacy bandit it looked just like this one but I never got a pic if it when I owned it. (Pic is not mine but looks just like mine) then one day the mechanical speed controller burned out. Ended up recycling it a few years later due to the fact some of the parts fit my rustler.
View attachment 50408
Mechanical speed controller, that's old school! I wasn't into RC that far back, but had "rich kid" friends that were. They had RC's with those. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even bother with electric if all I got was a 4-5 minute run time like they did back then.

Mechanical speed controller, that's old school! I wasn't into RC that far back, but had "rich kid" friends that were. They had RC's with those. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even bother with electric if all I got was a 4-5 minute run time like they did back then.

I wish I was one of those rich kids. I worked a few weeks for the money to get it when I was 16. I'm 29 now. It have a very short run time but I didnt care. I loved every second of it. I wish I could find the box I put the parts in, I would rebuild it up.

Ruckus 1:18 4dw MT. Went to the LHS about two weeks later looking for more and walked out with a granite BLX 4x4 brushless. I should have bought that FIRST. Hehe.
I frigging hated my 1/18 Ruckus I seriously tossed it in the trash, I would much rather buy a Traxxas than ever even touch another one of those.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back