What was your first rc car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tamiya Rough Rider
qP3VbWHA.jpeg

Going to show my age here but Kyosho Icarus was my first closely followed by the Kyosho Turbo optima mid SE which I actually just dusted off and ran for the first time in 30 years!! It ran with a few electronics mods. Posted up a video. Love this car.
View attachment 186456
I had the 2wd version, Turbo Ultima. Used to race with it back in the brushed/nicad days. But my first was a Nikko Porche 944.

Going to show my age here but Kyosho Icarus was my first closely followed by the Kyosho Turbo optima mid SE which I actually just dusted off and ran for the first time in 30 years!! It ran with a few electronics mods. Posted up a video. Love this car.
View attachment 186456
Crazy how thin those shock towers were back then.

Well.. 😳 May I say a slash 2wd.

Honestly, I no longer remember the specifics...not even if it was a car, or a truck. What I DO remember was that it was back in the 70s (Christmas...1975, 1976, or 1977), and it was gas-powered.

Arrma senton 3s was my first car. I never changed anything from stock to upgrade and it lasted about a year without anything breaking but a suspension arm.

I had a Nitto truck from ToysRus.. I put the Yellow Tamiya oil filled shocks on it. I used Car motor oil for the shocks. Not knowing any better. It was a mess.:ROFLMAO: But I knew that I wanted a real RC at that point. I was like 20 yo. back then in college. RC kept me out of the streets and out of trouble.;)
Then I got a Real RC. TA RC10L Pan car. That is where it began.
Next was my 2 TA RC10T's.
Got serious into racing them, both stock and mod class regulary.
35+ years later I still have all my rigs . Including 2 nitros. 17 in all. I want more. But no more room for them.:rolleyes:
I had many of those same 1200mah RS batteries. They never lasted long. And crapped out fast. Got expensive. I started buying Sanyo cells by the gross.144 in a case to make batteries. It was way cheaper. back then.
I melted those Tamiya Plugs so many times.:LOL:
At the track everyone used Deans 4-pin plugs. I don't know anyone who even remembered these plugs. But they were the best that existed at the time. They were light and small. And never accidently came apart or melted. Used on the motors and batteries. Still have them here in my bin. Using 2 pins for each polarity seems wierd by todays standards. But it was a very robust connector. The amp rating doubled by using 2 pins for each polarity. It wasn't an RC specific plug at the time. Just repurposed for RC use effectively enough.

1663258854519.png

20220915_122259.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back