What was your first RC Ever?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fairly recent for me. a Bonzer cross tiger

Attachments

• bonzermain.jpg
    bonzermain.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 44
First I remember of any significance was a 30 years ago, a Radio Shack Golden Arrow. Was a solid rear axle 2wd buggy that used 7.2V NiCAD stick pack and a 2 stick radio. I was 11 or 12, my older brothers who were at college at the time got it for me for Christmas. It was busted before the end of the day... turns out that snow ruins electronic stuff... who knew?

Man... I hope they didn't spend that on it...
tandygoldenarrow003.jpg

tandygoldenarrow006.jpg

It was 1980, I was 13 and got my first Tamiya Holiday Buggy. I was so excited. I spent days building it (as I was a very avid model builder at that age). I loved building WWII aircraft, ships and tanks but I wanted something that I could remote control so my folks bought me it for Xmas that year. After I’d finished it I took it on its maiden run in the vacant block across the road and stripped the plastic drive gear after the first battery pack. I was devoed. ?
8E0AD95C-4A06-4D3E-9773-B23F9FB9B5AD.jpeg

I then moved onto the Sand Scorcher then the Wild Willy M38 which I absolutely loved. So much fun.

My first ever was a Tyco Turbo Hopper back in 86 when I was 9. I loved that thing. I remember gears grinding after using it one day and it stopped moving. I used to still push it around in the yard and use the steering on the controller to turn it. My parents probably threw it out.
1591452332271.png

My first hobby grade RC was a Kyosho Raider Pro in the 90's.
1591452531613.png

Bit of nostalgia going on here-
What was the first RC you ever owned?
Do you still have it?
How old were you/what year was it? I'd love to hear about it!!
If you have a picture of your RC post it!
Mine was a Hornet - got it new in the late 80's -ordered it C.O.D. from an ad in an RC magazine.
Wish I had a picture of it but rarely took pictures back then - unlike today where we can take thousands per year/month!
Have fun with this thread!
My first crib car was the notorious 6s... and I simply love the truck

First "real" RC I ever had was a Tamiya Wild One someone gave me in the 80s to get me into the Hobby. He also gave me an old "Juicebox" 15 minute charger. Loved them. Then the first one I bought was a Blackfoot from Tower. Which was also my first build experience. Learned a lot. Amazing all the work I did using terrible tools. I kept that thing running for years using all sorts of parts not made for it because there was no hobby shop I could got to, or online anything. Best I had was a Tower catalog and waiting weeks via COD. Sucked so bad. But like I said in previous posts its what made me learn how to rig/ repair things.

Then at one point I "upgraded" to a Kyosho Ultima 2wd. Like the Blackfoot I kept it going on zip ties, glue, bailing wire, duct tape, elbow grease, and rigging skills I learned from being too poor for parts. I was pretty naive about painting back then and after not liking the Ultimas paint job I sprayed paint remover all over the inside to remove the paint. I thought it would just magically make it all clear and ready for new paint. When I came back outside there was a smoldering ball of plastic where my body once was. Learned that one the very hard way. don't think I ever did get another body for that after that.

top.jpg

71v4MBRvjKL._AC_SL1400_.jpg
71zYKoTdIAL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

Kyosho-EP-2WD-Ultima-Kit.jpg

Last edited:
My first rc was a Christmas present in 1982. I don't remember the brand but it might have been from Sears. My first hobby grade rc was a Christmas present in 1988 and was a Traxxas Cat.

For me it was an RC10, I was maybe 10 in the mid 80's. Really miss it.. After that it was an Optima Mid, Clod Buster and a Bolink.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200606-092232_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200606-092232_eBay.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 70
My first RC was an Axial AX10 Scorpion. I converted it to four wheel steering. It was cool but I wanted to go faster. It was my first massive mod vehicle and I was proud of it. I now own 12 different vehicles that haul butt!
4958B192-8CFD-4360-A03E-D5743A7CC086.jpeg

@jkflow nice rig brother!! My first one - I really do consider it to be the most iconic of all Tamiya’s amazing R/C models over the years. It was the TAMIYA Hornet 1/10 RC Car Off-Road Buggy Kit!! First released on the 9th of October, 1984, I suspect it went on to become Tamiya’s biggest selling R/C car ever – although I have no specific proof. Tamiya has never released any sales figures. But the impression I got growing up in Clearwater, FL it was that this was by far the most popular Tamiya buggy of the era. And combine that with the fact that it was available for 8 years from 1984-1992, and there’s no doubt it had an incredible sales run. After doing some more research over the years, I have found that Tamiya published several similar photos of the hornet – each slightly different (as you can see from the angle of the car, and the background colour), but featuring the same two example cars. The example cars featured in every official photo appear to be “early vintage” Hornets (which makes perfect sense of course, being promotional photos). They have the black (not white) plastic wheel bearings at the wheels, which were only found in earlier Hornet kits.

1591476768168.png

1591476351275.png

My 2nd was the RC LUNCH BOX 1/12 scale releases in 1980 and this baby use to kick some wheelies like the ARRMA Notorious or Outcast!! lol
1591476845606.png

1591476876881.png

Hi

My first toy rc was the Super Lobo II from Sears, my first hobby grade was a Futaba FX-10, followed by a box of rc parts that turned out to be a Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid SE and a Tamiya Frog.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back