Senton What weight shock oil for upgraded proline shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallguy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
I picked up some proline racing powerstroke shocks for my new senton 3s BLX. They come empty and suggest something like 40 - 70 oil weight. Any suggestions on what weight to start with or what works well with these trucks?

I just picked up some Proline Pro-Spec shocks for my Senton 6s. Yesterday afternoon I did a test run with 50w and a medium weight springs all around on a semi-bumpy dirt track and was pretty satisfied, but there's still room for tuning and I might put a 40-45w up front or maybe a softer spring to see if I can gain some turn-in over bumps while under partial throttle. I've got another set on order for a paved surface race truck build I'm working on and will probably be starting off with 70 weight in those with medium springs up front and hard springs in back. So, it kind of depends on the surfaces you run on and what you're doing. If you're focused on speed/handling/racing and are running on mostly smooth surfaces with good grip, start with 60-70 and then play with your springs. If you're running on rough surfaces with varying grip, I'd go between 45-55, and again play with your springs. And if you're strictly bashing or hooning, I'd start with 45-50w with medium springs all around. All of that said, the very best I can tell you is order a spring kit for your shocks and order an assortment of oil weights, and test for yourself, because driving styles, surfaces, and your personal desire for how your vehicle handle all are the biggest factors, and nobody else can really answer that.

This is the somewhat basic but helpful guide that got me started. https://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-shocks/

I just picked up some Proline Pro-Spec shocks for my Senton 6s. Yesterday afternoon I did a test run with 50w and a medium weight springs all around on a semi-bumpy dirt track and was pretty satisfied, but there's still room for tuning and I might put a 40-45w up front or maybe a softer spring to see if I can gain some turn-in over bumps while under partial throttle. I've got another set on order for a paved surface race truck build I'm working on and will probably be starting off with 70 weight in those with medium springs up front and hard springs in back. So, it kind of depends on the surfaces you run on and what you're doing. If you're focused on speed/handling/racing and are running on mostly smooth surfaces with good grip, start with 60-70 and then play with your springs. If you're running on rough surfaces with varying grip, I'd go between 45-55, and again play with your springs. And if you're strictly bashing or hooning, I'd start with 45-50w with medium springs all around. All of that said, the very best I can tell you is order a spring kit for your shocks and order an assortment of oil weights, and test for yourself, because driving styles, surfaces, and your personal desire for how your vehicle handle all are the biggest factors, and nobody else can really answer that.

This is the somewhat basic but helpful guide that got me started. https://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-shocks/
Thank you, very helpful!

I'm more of a casual RC driver than a hard-core driver: I do mostly offroad running in grass and dirt with an occasional street run, and I don't do many jumps. On my Typhon 3s with Pro-Line Powerstroke shocks I run with 50W in the front, 45W in the rear, and I have the top spring compressed just a bit (see pic below). I would consider changing this setup if I jumped more, but that isn't something I'm really into.

Typhon 3s with Pro-line Trenchers.jpg

will ultimately depend on your driving style but there are many videos out there for guidance on shock tuning with springs and oils doing slo-mo drop tests. That will yield you the best results.

45-55 ran in mine. Think I like 50 the best all around. Gorgeous shocks👌, debating if I truly need them or just want them?😂. They certainly aren’t cheap! My Amazon specials handle/rebound surprisingly well😆.

+1

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back