Outcast What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_jsy

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
Hey guys

First post so go easy :D

Got back into the hobby after about 15 years out with a MERV, then picked up a second hand but barely used early Outcast 6S and ordered an X Maxx.

Only about 5 packs through each and whilst the X Maxx is fun...it's kinda a big goofy toy in comparison to the Outcast which is crazy fast and just feral. I'm having a lot more fun for the £300 I'm into it than the £1,500 I'm into the X Maxx, put it that way.

So I am trying to decide whether it is worth upgrading the Outcast, or buying a second new EXB. I think it is a V1 Outcast (3.5mm shock shafts) so not sure if that effects things. I've already fitted rear shocks off a new model Outcast, put a half decent servo and radio gear in and shimmed the diffs after grenading front and rear getting too passionate on punch setting 9.

If you were to go for an EXB, which would you go for? Looking at my options there's the Kraton EXB roller or an Outcast EXB RTR. I really like the Outcast but the short wheel base just wants to wheelie everywhere and the novelty is wearing off.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say. I guess it boils down to if I am going to be upgrading a lot of parts anyway (i.e. chassis, braces etc), are the upgrades brought by successive versions/the EXBs that much better of a starting point than an older model?

Cheers guys!

Ross

I think you’d be happy with a new Kraton EXB, however I’d wait for another Black Friday type deal.. 🤷‍♂️

I fell into a similar upgrade trap with my Traxxas Stampede, and if I had it to do over it would be cheaper to have bought the VXL version that has all the upgrades I purchased separately. 💸

Lesson learned, so, what did I do after spending $300 in upgrade parts on a $200 truck? I bought an Outcast 6s EXB!!! 😂

Was surprised to hear you say the novelty of the OC is wearing off because of excessive wheelies, maybe some throttle control practice will help? I most often have the TX set to 50% and occasionally 75% and am having a blast, doing wheelies on demand, flips, etc... It’s still crazy, but more control…

Anyway, I’m new here too but after only a few days can tell you that you’ve come to the right place, many experts here.

Welcome and good luck with your decision(s)!

Welcome!!

Imo-Practice throttle control on the OC as it is sooo much fun! YOU can control when it does wheelies. Make a portable (or not so portable :ROFLMAO:) ramp. Your OC will thank you for it! ;)

You already did the main upgrades that a trick truck like that would need. I have the Noto6s, which is basically an OC with a different lid. Only did minor upgrades like you have. Just upgrade when things break. (y)

Get the Kraton EXB or if you want a good versatile road/dirt basher by just changing tires, check out the 6s Typhon. You'll love either one!

Happy Bashing!!
🍻😁✌️
O yeah....and turn the punch down a little. That will help with the wheelies

Cheers for the replies guys!

Just to clarify, the OC wouldn't be going anywhere, more do I dump a load of money into it, or do I go for a newer model to go all out on.

It's just nuts at wheelies! Like I'll wind it out loads and be sure going WOT will be fine and it still tries to flip :D it's great fun, but I am driving around the truck when I just want to hoon it at times. Maybe I'll dial in some throttle expo or turn down the punch (currently at 6) but I'll only moan it won't do a standing back flip then lol

But wow does it jump. Had it and the X maxx out earlier and this small bump the maxx barely noticed was sending the OC above head height. It was about then I realised I might have bought the wrong truck!

I think I am talking myself closer to the Kraton EXB...so what is recommended to power them? Is a Castle Mamba worth the extra coin over a Hobbywing? Motors and ESCs are all a bit new to me as I only ever had nitros last time round.

Just to clarify, the OC wouldn't be going anywhere, more do I dump a load of money into it, or do I go for a newer model to go all out on.

It's just nuts at wheelies! Like I'll wind it out loads and be sure going WOT will be fine and it still tries to flip :D it's great fun, but I am driving around the truck when I just want to hoon it at times. Maybe I'll dial in some throttle expo or turn down the punch (currently at 6) but I'll only moan it won't do a standing back flip then lol

But wow does it jump. Had it and the X maxx out earlier and this small bump the maxx barely noticed was sending the OC above head height. It was about then I realised I might have bought the wrong truck!

I think I am talking myself closer to the Kraton EXB...so what is recommended to power them? Is a Castle Mamba worth the extra coin over a Hobbywing? Motors and ESCs are all a bit new to me as I only ever had nitros last time round.
Just last week I picked up an Outcast 6s EXB RTR from horizonhobby.com on sale for $489. I took it out today on 4s and i've got to say that I am impressed with the stock electronics. All the punch I need on 4s. I also went on ebay and picked up all the spare parts I needed to convert it to a Kraton for a little over $200. The Kraton EXB that I had, I put a hobbywing max8 with 2200kv motor and it was noticeably faster than the stock motor in a kraton 6s. The Mamba Monster X / 2200kv motor is a great choice and is currently on sale at amainhobbies.com

The exb will be a stronger model, but if you are in the UK you have custom rc upgrades near you. You can get hinge pin blocks and center braces for either rig you could put on (and maybe a servo mount) and be in a little better shape than the exb minus the chassis. M2c/just bash it make some good aftermarket chassis/towers if you end up bending the stock ones. I build most of mine from the chassis up with upgraded parts/parts from a breaker on ebay/jennysrc.

I've always heard castle for speed and hobbywing for bashing. I have both mmx8s's and max6's and i can't really tell a difference in my bashers. I'd go hobbywing mostly for the price difference. I like the 1650kv motor or a hobbystar 4092 in the 1730kv flavor.

Welcome to the forum! I’d drive the OC as is and spend the coin on batteries, solid charger and tools. The v1 OC has the smaller shock shafts as you noticed along with weaker bulkheads and hub carriers. Shocks bulkhead and the carriers can all be replaced as needed with the newer ones. Diffs as well were not as strong back then and they may have been replaced already. One thing some of us do is run the smaller OC 4s Back Flip LP wheels and tires. For many they are a favorite tire. Much easier on the electrics and diffs being lighter but less silliness which the OC is known for.
As for the exbs, I think if I needed a newer rig I’d go rtr and build it with what I want. The new rtrs are very good models stock and could make a older man child happy for a long time without any upgrades. They figured out the diffs, has the stronger plastics as stated above, beefed up gussets on the chassis, decent radio and electrics (can always sell them on the bay...). Kraton or OC rtr can be upgraded down the road with far better kit than what the exb has which you would most likely be upgrading anyway. Rock on!

The exb will be a stronger model, but if you are in the UK you have custom rc upgrades near you. You can get hinge pin blocks and center braces for either rig you could put on (and maybe a servo mount) and be in a little better shape than the exb minus the chassis. M2c/just bash it make some good aftermarket chassis/towers if you end up bending the stock ones. I build most of mine from the chassis up with upgraded parts/parts from a breaker on ebay/jennysrc.

I've always heard castle for speed and hobbywing for bashing. I have both mmx8s's and max6's and i can't really tell a difference in my bashers. I'd go hobbywing mostly for the price difference. I like the 1650kv motor or a hobbystar 4092 in the 1730kv flavor.
Cheers for pointing me towards custom rc upgrades, they have some nice looking bits and always nice to order from the UK!
Welcome to the forum! I’d drive the OC as is and spend the coin on batteries, solid charger and tools. The v1 OC has the smaller shock shafts as you noticed along with weaker bulkheads and hub carriers. Shocks bulkhead and the carriers can all be replaced as needed with the newer ones. Diffs as well were not as strong back then and they may have been replaced already. One thing some of us do is run the smaller OC 4s Back Flip LP wheels and tires. For many they are a favorite tire. Much easier on the electrics and diffs being lighter but less silliness which the OC is known for.
As for the exbs, I think if I needed a newer rig I’d go rtr and build it with what I want. The new rtrs are very good models stock and could make a older man child happy for a long time without any upgrades. They figured out the diffs, has the stronger plastics as stated above, beefed up gussets on the chassis, decent radio and electrics (can always sell them on the bay...). Kraton or OC rtr can be upgraded down the road with far better kit than what the exb has which you would most likely be upgrading anyway. Rock on!
You have me looking at the RTRs now and after today's play I am tempted by a fresh new EXB Outcast. There is £70 between the Kraton v5 and the Outcast. Hmmm thank you for your input actually that has given me something else to think about. I went all in when I got back into the hobby and bought decent chargers and more batteries than I can use on a bash without a breakage so all good there.

Had the Outcast and X Maxx out again today. The X Maxx lasted less than 30 seconds before ripping the teeth off the spur. The truck itself is bulletproof, but between an exploded diff cup on the third battery pack and now this on pack 6, it's been far from an amazing experience. The OC on the other hand was pure fun start to finish and play only cut short by a worn ball cup repeatedly popping off.

Sliding motor mount, tower to tower brace, shock towers, suspension arms, suspension mounts, servo mount, receiver box and chassis braces are also different from the current rtr version vs the og Outcast V1.

I would go the EXB vs upgrade the V1. There is so much that has changed since then it would cost you more than the EXB to upgrade everything.

The Kraton EXB will have a different personality. The longer wheel base makes all the difference. Diversify your collection and get one. The OC/Noto. is a SWB Freestyle type stunt truck. Needs to have thick diff oils to keep the nose down more and more controllable. It is also more controllable on 4s. Which I do from time to time. The aprox. 2 inch wheel base difference between both OC and K6s is significant.

Last edited:
After a bit of thought I settled on....the Outcast EXB RTR!

My decision was semi made for me with the Kraton being out of stock, but also because I have decided if/when I bend the stock chassis, I'll convert to a Kraton using an m2c chassis and parts. I get to play with a nice fresh OC for a bit, and then I get a nice bulletproof Kraton at some point in the future.

So are there any out of the box upgrades worth doing, or just go out and have some fun?

^^^
Yeah, most any 6s rig needs a motor fan, first thing, out the box. Just a given, that's all.
And only a temp gun in hand will reveal this.(y) Your temps at 55F ambient is quite hot. I feel 140F in general is the safe Limit no matter the outside temps.
Get a 40 x 10mm fan at a minimum. If mounting on the motor's OE Heat Sink with a stock setup, it may just be enough.
If it still runs hotter than you care for, then remove the HS altogether and run a Fan mount. Blowing directly onto the motor.
I bet the motor will run almost 10F deg. cooler. Or will cool down much faster when it does reach high temps. Temp spikes will become more brief.

Last edited:

My favorite bash combo is the HobbyWing Max 6 with the 4985. As mentioned, install motor fans. Great power, superior reliability and failsafes. Good advice to go Kraton or Typhon.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I went a bit nuts yesterday on an Arrma breakers and I have picked up everything to convert my V1 to a V5, and then ordered an M2C chassis, front and rear centre braces and shock tower brace and a few other odds and sods like bearing and screw kits for about £100 less than the new one. 2 new trucks is better than one, right?

Ordered the little one a Granite 2x4 as the MERV doesn't last a battery pack without imploding. Safe to say the Arrma bug bit hard

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back