Granite What Wt Do You Use Differential Oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCbasher33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Waiting for my Granite blx 3s and was going to check the fluids or replace when it arrives. What weight are you using? Plan on ordering some and was wondering what I should get.

If you want to try other than stock 10k, I would recommend up to 30k in the front. I haven’t tried upping the rear yet, but 30k in the front works well in my Granite. Helps keep steering straighter under power for me. Used to skew one side and make it harder to keep a straight line on ramp run ups on pavement.

I did 50k front, 20k rear and it's great for general bashing and straight line runs.

BUT... you can only take sharp turns OFF throttle and coasting.

Stock is 10k, so figure out what you want the truck to do.

If you want it to turn under power better without drifting, drop to 8k front and rear. If you want it to drift keep 10k up front and 15-20k out back. If your diffing out and ballooning one wheel like crazy, but like how the truck handles, vent the tires and plug the rims and give that a run.

There is a good chart out there somewhere... most race guys run light oils... 5k to 10k max... but they use foam or belted tires that tend to not balloon. Most bashers run 50-100k, some guys even run 500k to 1,000,000cst to almost fully lock the diffs for more control in the air and on launches.

A good middle-ground for handling is light in the rear and heavy in the front. You can enter corners under power, and when you punch out of the corner the thicker front fluid acts like power steering while the lighter rear diff lets one wheel spin faster than the other to prevent a drift.

My next setup will be something like 20 front 10 rear, just so I can turn sharper without completely backing off the stick.

Might be cheaper to hit up amazon. Not that supporting the local guys isn't awesome... but sometimes they gouge you on oils and consumables. Especially where you're in trial and error mode.

Traxxas 5136X Differential Oil Kit (10,000, 30,000, 50,000 Weights) is $22 shipped. And you can mix ratios to get you a few different weights. (1:1 30k and 10k = 20k etc...) Look up viscosity calculators in Google.

There are also kits with 3000, 5000 and 8000 if you search.

I have the big rock and I have 50k in front and 30k in rear and I believe I like it better stock. It is harder to control in a straight line right now. But, it may be better when I start ramping it. Don’t have a ramp yet.

Nice details on the different oil I was looking for information on that and have found it. Love arrma forum thanks keep up the good work.

Maybe, since you haven't driven it, stick with the stock and see if there's any aspect you'd like to improve. Google rc diff oil and read the info about the different characteristics of different weight oil and change it up if needed

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems to be a frequent question recently. Stock is 10k front and rear. Any changes depend on preference. Don't just listen to what other people use. Different people drive differently. Before you change, you should have a specific reason to change depending on how you drive and what kind of changes you'd like to see.

Heavier diff oil provides more equal power to both wheels, which can increase traction, reduce spinning out, and help the car accelerate better. But allowing the wheels to spin at different speeds helps you turn. Heavier oil will start to reduce your turning. Lighter oil turns quicker.

If you spin/slide too much, heavier oil will help. Heavier in front if you slide/slip going into turns, heavier in the rear if you spin out coming out of turns. Heavier in both if you want more traction/power in general. But if you like tight turns and sliding and spinning your tires (like me) you'll want to keep oil lighter. There are many guides for 'RC differential oil tuning' on the internet. For the 3s line, people use anywhere between 10k and 50k.

You fill the diffs almost to the top, The top of the pins should still be exposed with enough room to go in the pin holes.

Just put in close to 1 million in my 2wd. Ear plugs... silicone... turns are tight. But the power and straightness is amazing. Shaved like 4 seconds off a lap around my yard track

BUT... you can only take sharp turns OFF throttle and coasting.
same with 12.5k up front, ive got 20k in rear great basher much better control of wheelies still pulls to right but think thats steering slop issue

same with 12.5k up front, ive got 20k in rear great basher much better control of wheelies still pulls to right but think thats steering slop issue
Think it's too much for this car after all. Ran fine this morning. Later in the day... think it ruined the motor. The part that holds the pinion moves around now. Guess I may be going back a little. Lol. Was fun though

Or the 12 turn motor went bad on its own.

But think it's safer to drop down. 20k eh. Better than the 10k it came with

I think I went a little too heavy and put 500k weight in both the front and rear the downside is it doesn't turn very well and it is eating up my tires on pavement ....but the upside is no more flip overs and it does great off-road

It's a basher, just use whatever crap you have in your pitbox, before long the plastic pillow balls will have so much slop that precision will be out the window.

Not a criticism of the build quality, it's just a basher.

It's a basher, just use whatever crap you have in your pitbox, before long the plastic pillow balls will have so much slop that precision will be out the window.

Not a criticism of the build quality, it's just a basher.
What plastic pillow balls? Just asking? My differentials are all metal.
What plastic pillow balls? Just asking? My differentials are all metal.i just need to know so I can keep an eye out for it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back