What's a few good RC build kits to get back into building.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sludog

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Have a few Arrma RTR vehicles already but now looking for kit or kits to pass some time at home during Coronavirus house arrest. The last two kits I built was an Kyosho Ultima and a couple of Tamiyas about 30+ years ago and Associated Nitro Street truck about 20 years ago so I'm sure they come a long way since then. Just got a bunch of Mip tools and I'm ready to go.
Also some electronic suggestions for the kit as well. Nothing fancy just some bash time fun.

Also all of my local hobby shop are shut down so I will have to shop online for the kit and accessories.

@Sludog pending what you're into, I would check out either Tekno RC or Axial.
Looking to bash around. Mostly flat ground a mix of sand dirt and grass. Saw a few Axial vehicles but they look kind of cheaply made. I know they specialize in rock crawling but will they have a model that holds up to bashing. I think the Yeti XL was discontinued

I’m in the process of building a CrossRC PG4L (which is a dually), a Slash drag eliminator and a GMADE GS02 Bom (crawler). Ya... I have no social life besides this forum ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m in the process of building a CrossRC PG4L (which is a dually), a Slash drag eliminator and a GMADE GS02 Bom (crawler). Ya... I have no social life besides this forum ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All good brother. I spend too much time with you all too ???

Right? Everyone all freaking out over having to avoid people. I'm like yo this is every day for me.

Or go full on Tamiya Semi .. not much of a basher, but they are very cool. :)
Yeah I saw one a few weeks ago. It was insane and $900. Also saw just a flat bed trailer with some scale wood like lumber and that was $400.

Yeah I saw one a few weeks ago. It was insane and $900. Also saw just a flat bed trailer with some scale wood like lumber and that was $400.
The truck kits are $350-$500. If you want sound and lights, then add MFU (Tamiya's ESC), $400. Add radio. Add time to build and paint. Like you guys aren't spending this and much much more on other cars? The trailer can cost as well (which I don't get) but I know for a fact that the Maersk container trailer can hold 80 lbs. The tractor (configured properly) can pull that 80 lbs. ;)

More details:
There are 2 major players in the RC truck world. One is less expensive and the other not so much. Tamiya is the cheaper one and Wedico is the other brand.

As relates to the Tamiya world, if you want just a running truck .. it's $350-$500 + esc + radio. If you want sound and lights, you can choose between pretty much 2 products, the Tamiya MFU (ESC, sound and lights) or a company called Beier makes sound and light kits for this truck as well - this is more of a modular system - you add which pieces you want. The Tamiya MFU is an all in one unit. From there, the detailing/realism is up to you - you can find everything from aluminum wheels to visors to chain racks to extended frames, extended bodies, etc. If you are crafty with Styrene and/or 3d model creation .. the rc truck world is your oyster.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Tekno for the build kit. Not sure which one yet but leaning towards the MT410. Trying to figure what goodies I'm going to stuff inside the vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back