Kraton What's a full build cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy15086

Very Active Member
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
I am finishing up a full build on a K6 EXB. I converted it to a Mojave chassis. It has almost every available upgrade. Most of the parts are M2C. Some are HR. I have somewhere around $3000 into it. I am wondering... How much would it cost to "fully build" a K8 or O8 EXB? 🤔

At a minimum, 50% more $$$. ( for a 8S line )
One put off for me. And the 8s line is not a great Arrma choice IMHO. I would look to other brands for larger scale rigs.
As much as I want it to be. It is not.
30+ pounds= Breaks alot and frequently. Same parts over and over. 8 pounds too heavy IMHO. This is one rig that Arrma has tried to tweak since it's first release. Unfortunately, the whole platform was a mess.
One RC Brand simply cannot be the best with every single one of their offerings.
And the 8s is far from it. A money pit . One example of this.

I would never spend/budget more than $1500. On average most of my rigs fall just below this, give or take.
It's not about the size of my wallet either. At some point you can throw your whole piggbank into an RC, and in the end it will still not be perfect or even good enough. No rig can be perfect, I know. I look for good enough. And that can be subjective for many.
Will still always have obvious Poorly designed qualities. Chasing a ghost, no matter the coin you throw at it. At some point much option parts are just Bling. Just Bragging rights and look great in pix and on the shelf. But we all RC differently. I have other hobbies.
Just me talking.:cool:

Last edited:
I don't even understand how you can put 3k into a rig. Isn't the m2c beefcake kit like 500? what else is there to put money into besides that? Must be why I have so many rigs and almost none of them actually have aftermarket upgrades except electronics. I do want to beefcake at least one of them at some point though :ROFLMAO:

I don't even understand how you can put 3k into a rig. Isn't the m2c beefcake kit like 500? what else is there to put money into besides that? Must be why I have so many rigs and almost none of them actually have aftermarket upgrades except electronics. I do want to beefcake at least one of them at some point though :ROFLMAO:
Just the MMX8s alone was $389. It was a K6 EXB to Mojave chassis conversion so there was a few items there and you can't save the very little amount you save to get a "beefcake" kit. I also did a PPS motor mount, JBI hub extenders, front and rear aluminum bulkheads and 3 aluminum diff cups. Mojave body, mounts, front and rear tbone bumpers, bearing kit, aluminum servo mount and arm, reef's servo..... it adds up quick man. There is lot more to a build then just a beefcake kit! 😆
Should be a beast. Haven't driven it in its current form yet.

20220708_201108.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly my point. I rather have moderately Upgraded rigs that run good enough. And have many different rigs to drive. Makes no sense to shoot a whole load into one rig. It won't be any more durable at some point. Wasting several hundred+ $$ in the process.
Just because the RC Upgrade industry offers all these parts doesn't mean you need or even want them most of the time.
$3k is ludicrous for a an Arrma 8s rig or any 1/8 rig. Yes some do this, no doubt.
Look into what Real large scale RC rigs cost. Better brands in the large scale segment. Better to drop big coin into something like that if into True 1/5 scale. 8s rigs are just too heavy out the box. Keep adding weight to it for supposed durability, and well, you are going backwards. Breaking more as you add the pounds.
Just chasing a ghost at some point. And your wallet will be crying. Poor return on the Upgrade Investment. Bling only. A Heavy paper weight for the shelf.
Sucks when you drive less because it breaks so frequently.
Yeah I have over $2500 easily in my K6 it definitely adds up fast
There will always be $$ required for the basics. BB sets, All the wearable parts etc. Tires/wheels etc. Incidental cheap parts that are meant to wear and break. ( sacrificial parts) You need coin to maintain any rig. I don't count those parts in my budget. It is an operating expense. No getting around it. Just that some of the $Upgrades$ out there are a waste, functionally speaking. Some even worse than the standard Plastic parts. ( think Alloy Arms (n)) Causing more expensive damage. Experience with Your rig will reveal this with time.
Remember that some of the Cheaper plastic parts are Sacrificial parts. You want them. As you learn to drive better, they will break less. Don't expect the whole rig to be Alloy and think it will be more durable and indestructable.. Not. It will become a pig.
Just Looking nice in pix and on the shelf.

Last edited:
Exactly my point. I rather have moderately Upgraded rigs that run good enough. And have many different rigs to drive. Makes no sense to shoot a whole load into one rig. It won't be any more durable at some point. Wasting several hundred+ $$ in the process.
Just because the RC Upgrade industry offers all these parts doesn't mean you need or even want them most of the time.
$3k is ludicrous for a an Arrma 8s rig or any 1/8 rig. Yes some do this, no doubt.
Look into what Real large scale RC rigs cost. Better brands in the large scale segment. Better to drop big coin into something like that if into True 1/5 scale. 8s rigs are just too heavy out the box. Keep adding weight to it for supposed durability, and well, you are going backwards. Breaking more as you add the pounds.
Just chasing a ghost at some point. And your wallet will be crying. Poor return on the Upgrade Investment. Bling only. A Heavy paper weight for the shelf.
Sucks when you drive less because it breaks so frequently.

There will always be $$ required for the basics. BB sets, All the wearable parts etc. Tires/wheels etc. Incidental cheap parts that are meant to wear and break. ( sacrificial parts) You need coin to maintain any rig. I don't count those parts in my budget. It is an operating expense. No getting around it. Just that some of the $Upgrades$ out there are a waste, functionally speaking. Some even worse than the standard Plastic parts. ( think Alloy Arms (n)) Causing more expensive damage. Experience with Your rig will reveal this with time.
Remember that some of the Cheaper plastic parts are Sacrificial parts. You want them. As you learn to drive better, they will break less. Don't expect the whole rig to be Alloy and think it will be more durable and indestructable.. Not. It will become a pig.
Just Looking nice in pix and on the shelf.
I only have space in my home for 1 rig right now. I only did what we're considered weak points and also I converted from a K6 to a Mojave chassis. I also did aluminum diff housings and cups. I haven't converted 2 of the 3 cups yet. One was leaking. I'll replace the other 2 cups when I rebuild them. I don't think I did anything "unnecessary". I could have waited until I broke things but I figured I'd build a tank first and go from there but I still spent A LOT of money on it.
Considering how much I put into this rig I was thinking 8s must be more expensive. I had a K8 BLX and I hated it. It broke every time I ran it. I would only consider a K or O 8s EXB if I went that route. But I wouldn't want to put this much into any rig ever again. This was a one time thing for me.

Last edited:
Surprisingly my 8s outcast has been one of my most durable trucks and I own almost every arrma model at this point. I trash the crap out of it and only broke one front arm when I drove through a bush full speed. Full speed cartwheels, etc. I'm definitely not a great driver either, always hitting things or landing upside down or sideways. Its so heavy would suck to carry across a field broken..

My least durable arrmas have been big rock, k6s, o6s, and fireteam. Almost every session something breaks on those. I guess I've been super lucky with o8s.

Anyways large scale rc are great fun. You have any suggestions from other brands? I can only find traxxas (xmaxx and udr) and losi with decent offerings

Last edited:
There has already been much wisdom shared above.....

I have often wondered about the need vs want factor in $upgrades$, and if there is any real benefit to them.

I bought my K8S EXB and did probably the LEAST EXPENSIVE build while getting the Max 5 1100kv Hobbywing setup.

Dumbo RC tx.rx
CNHL batteries
$50 servo (see my build thread)

Got the EXB from @joostin420 for a discount (GREAT DEALS WHEN HE HAS THEM)

$1250 in it so far (this is about as low dollar as it gets for all new)

Oh man, the frame will bend eventually
the arms will break eventually
so much more will break eventually

But I have fun with mine, and nothing has broke yet, but I'm still gettin used to it

And I will change what breaks as it breaks with suggested replacement parts from people who know whats best from personal experience

I like what @SrC said.....that there is an 'operating expense' with RC rigs..... and yeah, the weight of the Armma 8S line is NOT to their benefit.....but it is what it is....

There is other brands - mentioned above..... that are alternatives....

Traxxas X-Maxx and Losi DBXLE 2.0 (plus others that I am not as familiar with)...... I did about 6 months due diligence between the 3 before I made my decision FOR ME.....

K8 EXB

Its not an easy decision, but comparing the way they run , I chose what I chose, and I don't regret it.

Last edited:
Yup, but if you do the M2C beefcake kit AND THEN go to Scorched for the titanium driveshafts etc. AND go to Vitavon for the diffs, hubs, beadlocks etc. it adds up quickly🤣
It’s kinda like going the the Mercedes dealer and say I’d like a beefcake Merc. Here’s you S500 sir. Then bring it to the AMG for more power AND than go for Brabus who use AMG as a starting point🤣.
A1AB83B8-AD9D-4C4F-9529-49689E549AEB.png

Yeah I have over $2500 easily in my K6 it definitely adds up fast
I feel your pain on the K6. I’m building one right now and I’ve got well over 2K in it and I’m still thinking about upgrading all the drive shafts to M2C, plus I have yet to purchase a new body for it or the tires I want to run.

I’ve got a build thread going on it.

I think you would be ok at $3k. I'm maybe a little more in my EXB Senton 8s build and it's COMPLETELY custom and upgraded except for the actual bulkheads. And maybe $1000 of that is extra parts where I ordered stuff I didn't need or already ordered.
Spares! They matter 😆

3K no way, I'm too poor and too cheap, my days of high $ RCs are over, have just as much fun with my plastic chassis stuff. Did a K6S so I get it.
I hear ya.....I won't fault someone for doing it if they want, but I'm just glad my wife understands what I do and she enjoys it from time to time as well....

As far as the original poster....the MOST I have heard for a build of a K8 was one guy claimed 5 grand plus on his...

If anyone was able to go less than my build while buying all new.....I'd be surprised......

$2000-2500 covers a lot of 8S builds.....unless you like the high dollar stuff

The question is.....who much do ya wanna spend?🤔

I've probably sunk $2500 into by O8 exb. No m2c chassis (yet) and my only vitavon parts so far are the steering links. I have m2c abcd plates and brace ends. I do have scorched Ti driveshafts and captured end links. Rpm arms and a variety of cvd shafts with 3 sets of wheels (stock back flips, mashers and beadlock badlands). Along with both a Castle xlx2 and max 5 escs along with 3 different motors and a variety of pinions so i can have options in that department. Most of my cash has been sunk into replacement parts. When one thing breaks I usually by two or four of those for future. I've held off on the chassis because I've found when I've bent it, I hammer it back and it's good to go. I've held off on vitavon bulkheads just because I can get two stockers for $30 instead of $ 300 for two vitavons. As much as I want to sink another $600 for these things....sometimes I just say, well...I can go get an O4s for that money or a mojave roller. 1/5 stuff can be a huge money pit if you make it.

I am finishing up a full build on a K6 EXB. I converted it to a Mojave chassis. It has almost every available upgrade. Most of the parts are M2C. Some are HR. I have somewhere around $3000 into it. I am wondering... How much would it cost to "fully build" a K8 or O8 EXB? 🤔
Between upgrades, better tires, M2C chassis, etc. My build is around $3k easily. But it's pretty much a flying tank. I rarely break my EXB K8S when I land correctly on all 4 wheels (and I do land bad too often). Was it worth it? Yes! My jumps are around 20ft to 26ft. I do some construction hashing too, which is a terrible terrain, but my rig can taken it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back