Kraton What's a full build cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M2C full beefcake @ $550
+ the 7mm shock shafts $160
Full vitavon treatment with bling ass beadlocks
$1600
Jenny's RC arrma plastics wing mount, braces and shock towers $75
Rpm arms $90
Bumpers $60-$100 depending on mfg.
Hinge pins...lots of em...$200
Full hardware set $50
Guts for all differentials $200
Shocks $75
Spur and pinion gear $75
Scorched rc captured end links $30
Scorched rc Ti driveshafts $75
Scorched rc Ti pillowballs $30
Oils and grease $35
XLX2 with castlelink and 1100kv $600 for 8s
OR a hobbywing Max 4 with a castle 800kv
$800 for 12s
Reefs Beast 2000 servo $500
Game changer RC fan kit $150
Stock body with bracing $120
Dx5 pro with sr2100 $400
Proline badlands or trenchers $100-120
3 pairs of good batteries 100c or better $600-$1000
A good dual charger $100-$200
Tools $50-$300

All this comes out to $6k before taxes more or less
That would be if you were starting from absolute zero.

I’ve been driving RC cars for 40 years and I got my first 1/5 scale kraton EXB last year great rig a blast to drive but handles WAY different the 1/8. I find myself driving it for a set of batteries and putting it away and then get out my 1/8 kraton. I feel less confident in a small area with the 1/5 stops way slower (way more stopping room needed). Bottom line it’s a fun rig would I buy it over again with what I know now probably not. But I’m not selling it either.

I've probably sunk $2500 into by O8 exb. No m2c chassis (yet) and my only vitavon parts so far are the steering links. I have m2c abcd plates and brace ends. I do have scorched Ti driveshafts and captured end links. Rpm arms and a variety of cvd shafts with 3 sets of wheels (stock back flips, mashers and beadlock badlands). Along with both a Castle xlx2 and max 5 escs along with 3 different motors and a variety of pinions so i can have options in that department. Most of my cash has been sunk into replacement parts. When one thing breaks I usually by two or four of those for future. I've held off on the chassis because I've found when I've bent it, I hammer it back and it's good to go. I've held off on vitavon bulkheads just because I can get two stockers for $30 instead of $ 300 for two vitavons. As much as I want to sink another $600 for these things....sometimes I just say, well...I can go get an O4s for that money or a mojave roller. 1/5 stuff can be a huge money pit if you make it.
Man, only 3 sets of tires? I must be doing something wrong then cuz I've got about 15-20 sets at any given time! 😆 I never know when I'm gonna blow like 3 or 4 different tires in a session 🤣🥴🤪

M2C full beefcake @ $550
+ the 7mm shock shafts $160
Full vitavon treatment with bling ass beadlocks
$1600
Jenny's RC arrma plastics wing mount, braces and shock towers $75
Rpm arms $90
Bumpers $60-$100 depending on mfg.
Hinge pins...lots of em...$200
Full hardware set $50
Guts for all differentials $200
Shocks $75
Spur and pinion gear $75
Scorched rc captured end links $30
Scorched rc Ti driveshafts $75
Scorched rc Ti pillowballs $30
Oils and grease $35
XLX2 with castlelink and 1100kv $600 for 8s
OR a hobbywing Max 4 with a castle 800kv
$800 for 12s
Reefs Beast 2000 servo $500
Game changer RC fan kit $150
Stock body with bracing $120
Dx5 pro with sr2100 $400
Proline badlands or trenchers $100-120
3 pairs of good batteries 100c or better $600-$1000
A good dual charger $100-$200
Tools $50-$300

All this comes out to $6k before taxes more or less
That would be if you were starting from absolute zero.

my wife would castrate me

anna karina cut GIF

Man, only 3 sets of tires? I must be doing something wrong then cuz I've got about 15-20 sets at any given time! 😆 I never know when I'm gonna blow like 3 or 4 different tires in a session 🤣🥴🤪
Or you can get some proline trenchers 4.3. I haven't been able to destroy them. Even at the crazy construction site that I go to sometimes

Well I didn't mention that I'm on the 2nd set of backflips. I made the mistake of getting duratrax wheels. Two different types....same result. Blown out after two sessions. I went back the the backflips, then tried some Mashers...I like em, but for rough stuff they aren't so good. My latest are the badlands mx43s. I am digging them big time even though they are heavier. I can still nose up and backflip with no problem.
my wife would castrate me

anna karina cut GIF
I think it's all what you are into....
I can't see spending 20k on a Cannon D1 setup for taking pictures...but some people do....hell, what I've spent on all my pew pews is a boat load...some might think it's ridiculous...so in that sense, it's not out of the ordinary. Just don't skip a mortgage payment to fund it!

Well I didn't mention that I'm on the 2nd set of backflips. I made the mistake of getting duratrax wheels. Two different types....same result. Blown out after two sessions. I went back the the backflips, then tried some Mashers...I like em, but for rough stuff they aren't so good. My latest are the badlands mx43s. I am digging them big time even though they are heavier. I can still nose up and backflip with no problem.
I've been liking my duratrax lockups on my truggified typhon. I run on so many different surfaces that it takes many different types of tires to get the buggy to perform how I want it to. (That's me justifying my tire hoarding 😅) Grass, gravel, dirt, & pavement- I guess I have my faves for each but it's taken a lot of trial & errors

I've been liking my duratrax lockups on my truggified typhon. I run on so many different surfaces that it takes many different types of tires to get the buggy to perform how I want it to. (That's me justifying my tire hoarding 😅) Grass, gravel, dirt, & pavement- I guess I have my faves for each but it's taken a lot of trial & errors
I had six packs and lock ups. I can see em on 6s cars, but the weight and torque of the bigger trucks just are too much for them. Then again I was pushing doubles and triples with them at the time...haha so that might have been a factor 😅

Just the MMX8s alone was $389. It was a K6 EXB to Mojave chassis conversion so there was a few items there and you can't save the very little amount you save to get a "beefcake" kit. I also did a PPS motor mount, JBI hub extenders, front and rear aluminum bulkheads and 3 aluminum diff cups. Mojave body, mounts, front and rear tbone bumpers, bearing kit, aluminum servo mount and arm, reef's servo..... it adds up quick man. There is lot more to a build then just a beefcake kit! 😆
Should be a beast. Haven't driven it in its current form yet.

View attachment 228748
$389 for a MMX8S? Damn that's pretty steep...is that in American dollars? I've got 4 of them and haven't paid over $250. There's even a site that solders on a QS8 connection for $215 plus shipping (https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/mamba-monster-x-8s-esc) and they're an authorized Castle dealer. I'd go back to where you bought that and get some money back. An XLX2 doesn't even cost THAT much...

Should be a beast. Haven't driven it in its current form yet.
Seems I see something similar in a lot of extreme build threads. Often about the time the build is done, another build is announced. Be curious to hear how many +$3k builds get driven for more than 1-3 batteries. (note - in my mind, spending $3k in upgrades on a new kit before it is driven the first time is very different from spending $3k over a year or two upgrading things that break.)

Not hating, building a shelf queen is a valid part of the hobby...

The only 1/5 scale in my near future. I want one so bad. Brand new rollers aren’t that pricey:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2749705473...GLMtWKkTgS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
👍. Everything I’m the LHS, although I basically look at everything😂, I always go see the Super Rock Rey and the DBXL. I just love desert buggies.
About a month or so ago the LHS had just prepared a DBXL with the Max4 and the 70125. The car was sagging about halfway, the springs couldn’t handle the weight😂. They told me they were looking for stiffer spring options, they already tried dual shocks but that wasn’t enough😂.
Thing was a beast.

I think it's all what you are into....
I can't see spending 20k on a Cannon D1 setup for taking pictures...but some people do....hell, what I've spent on all my pew pews is a boat load...some might think it's ridiculous...so in that sense, it's not out of the ordinary. Just don't skip a mortgage payment to fund it!
True.
PT Barnum said that a fool and his money will soon part.
People spend millions of dollars on virtual art, art that doesn't exist in real life just in the computer. Go figure.
Whatever floats their boat right?
To me, the difference between a $2,000 toy car and a $6,000 toy car enables me and my wife to spend a month on vacation in South Texas all expenses paid in a condo on the gulf. Which we have done for the last 2 years. But if people want to spend a whole lot of money on a toy car have at it, nothing wrong with that, but I work a little too hard for my money.

Cheers

True.
PT Barnum said that a fool and his money will soon part.
People spend millions of dollars on virtual art, art that doesn't exist in real life just in the computer. Go figure.
Whatever floats their boat right?
To me, the difference between a $2,000 toy car and a $6,000 toy car enables me and my wife to spend a month on vacation in South Texas all expenses paid in a condo on the gulf. Which we have done for the last 2 years. But if people want to spend a whole lot of money on a toy car have at it, nothing wrong with that, but I work a little too hard for my money.

Cheers
Completely agree. I'm on a single income with a wife, 2 young kids, a mastiff, mortgage and two car payments living in Commiefornistan so my spending on my rc stuff is limited. I only have 2.5 rc cars (the half is my kids Latrax prerunner). I would love to do a vitavon 12s dblxe build, but it's not in the cards.
Ya know....priorities and responsibilities...haha

Last edited:
Seems I see something similar in a lot of extreme build threads. Often about the time the build is done, another build is announced. Be curious to hear how many +$3k builds get driven for more than 1-3 batteries. (note - in my mind, spending $3k in upgrades on a new kit before it is driven the first time is very different from spending $3k over a year or two upgrading things that break.)

Not hating, building a shelf queen is a valid part of the hobby...
I have around $6k between my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S. Trust me. They are not shelf queens. I run them as hard or harder than my 1/8 and smaller rigs. And when it comes to insane terrain, like construction sites, the K8S, Outcast 8s and my upgraded Xmaxx (around $2.5k in that one) can power through that stuff way better than the smaller stuff.

I have around $6k between my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S. Trust me. They are not shelf queens. I run them as hard or harder than my 1/8 and smaller rigs. And when it comes to insane terrain, like construction sites, the K8S, Outcast 8s and my upgraded Xmaxx (around $2.5k in that one) can power through that stuff way better than the smaller stuff.
You and your family enjoy your rigs a LOT.....and they are used on a regular basis....

I have never considered any of your builds as extravagant.....just getting the most bang for your buck

The money/time/effort you have put into the hobby has been money well spent imo...

And from my previous conversations with you, I know the hobby has not made you miss a mortgage payment...

My 2¢

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back