What's a good multi-purpose RC for street bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Looking for a truck I can turn into a street basher, but I don't want a dedicated rig (felony, limitless, vendetta etc). Yet. Let me say I did consider the typhon, but ruled it out based on wanting something more kit or roller/slider oriented that a 4s system would fit well in, and since I already have most of the pieces/parts needed.

Would prefer to have a truck that's good for another category, such as taking to the local track to run a few laps, or even light duty bashing. Something in the 1/8 buggy or 1/10+ size. I've got a 130a spektrum and 4068 surpass motor ready to throw in it. Top choices so far:
-Tekno SCT410
-Hobao Hyper 10SCE or TT10
-1/8 scale buggy

What would you gravitate towards? Or something else that's not listed?

Last edited:
I’m not sure why you’re ruling out a Typhon. A 4S system would work fine in it.
I have no interest in a bunch of stock electronics that I would pay up front for but then just rip out and replace.

I had forgotten about the TLR though... and it is a kit. So definitely worth evaluating. Consider my position on the typhon partially revised! I'll have to see if my local track allows 1/8 scale buggies for sure.
Love my SCT410.3, and really enjoyed building it.

Oh and it's on sale right now....

TLR Typhon would be a close second if I was in your shoes.
Would you think the sct410 could be a good street basher with some street tires? What sale are you looking at?

It's $110 off at Amain.

Street tires are on my want to buy list for it, especially now that I got the 17mm wheel adapters. Regardless, I've just about depleted a set of six-packs from running it on these streets. <<<< lol

It's $110 off at Amain.

Street tires are on my want to buy list for it, especially now that I got the 17mm wheel adapters. Regardless, I've just about depleted a set of six-packs from running it on these streets. <<<< lol
I've got a set of silver 107 hoons waiting for whatever I end up getting. I saw that towerhobbies has the sct410 listed for 320, and you can use their 40 off orders over 265. definitely tempting!

But that would mean I'd need that 17mm hex kit. The TKR 557017 is the right one right? I only wish it wasn't so ridiculously expensive! What kind of motor/esc setup are you running?

OK, I see what you are saying about the electronics. The TLRT is actually a roller and not a kit, and would probably be the best choice for what you are looking for.

If you REALLY want to build a kit, I would suggest looking at the MT410 instead of the SCT410. The MT410 is also "on sale" for $369 (used to be around $470) but is better suited for "bashing around" than the SCT410. It comes with proper 17mm axles/hexes, the A-D blocks are metal, the diff cross pins are steel instead of plastic. And I believe the SCT410 motor mount is a LCG mount and really meant for 36mm motors - you'd have to get the MT410 motor mount if you want to run 40-sized motors. The only drawback is that it has the longer arms and with something like Hoons, the look isn't quite aesthetically pleasing but you could throw some truggy street tires on there.

I've got a set of silver 107 hoons waiting for whatever I end up getting. I saw that towerhobbies has the sct410 listed for 320, and you can use their 40 off orders over 265. definitely tempting!

But that would mean I'd need that 17mm hex kit. The TKR 557017 is the right one right? I only wish it wasn't so ridiculously expensive! What kind of motor/esc setup are you running?

Yes it's tkr557017. I have a max 10 sct currently in it.

Pretty hard to argue with everything Engineer said though. Shoot I may need one now.

OK, I see what you are saying about the electronics. The TLRT is actually a roller and not a kit, and would probably be the best choice for what you are looking for.

If you REALLY want to build a kit, I would suggest looking at the MT410 instead of the SCT410. The MT410 is also "on sale" for $369 (used to be around $470) but is better suited for "bashing around" than the SCT410. It comes with proper 17mm axles/hexes, the A-D blocks are metal, the diff cross pins are steel instead of plastic. And I believe the SCT410 motor mount is a LCG mount and really meant for 36mm motors - you'd have to get the MT410 motor mount if you want to run 40-sized motors. The only drawback is that it has the longer arms and with something like Hoons, the look isn't quite aesthetically pleasing but you could throw some truggy street tires on there.
Fair points. I was essentially using "kit" in place of basically "not-RTR". Doesn't matter too much to me whether it's an actual kit, just don't have a use for supplied electronics. I'll have to look more deeply into the SCT410. I knew there were some differences between the two, but looking at exploded views is only so helpful. And now that you bring it up, I now remember my buddy complaining about the plastic blocks on his SCT410. Alu upgrades were like 30 bucks per side if I remember correctly. Combined with a 17mm hex upgrade, and it's already over the price of a MT410 and still less capable.

And i do already have an MT410, and it's great. There's a lot to like about that truck. Knowing that the sct410 doesn't stack up to the MT410 for what it's priced at certainly steers me towards something like the tlr typhon.
Yes it's tkr557017. I have a max 10 sct currently in it.

Pretty hard to argue with everything Engineer said though. Shoot I may need one now.
For real, i'm hearing the preach, and the word is good.

I definitely like the SCT drive/feel and look, so that's why I was partial to the SCT410. And it would be something to compete with my buddy with when we go to the track.

Would another good option be to try converting my big rock or granite into a street basher? I had the thought last night that I could get the hot racing 17mm conversion kit and CNC diff for the rear and it would be a "budget" option. I know people can also have issues with the spur on 4s, so maybe that's a bit of a gamble or another upgrade I would need to add, but that setup would get me a street basher for about $100 and also "re-purpose" one of my current rigs that doesn't get very much run time. The big rock has the mojo/kraton shock conversion currently.

Having never driven the typhon I don't know how it would compare performance wise 4X4 blx. Speed wise, with that 4s system, the big rock would be a missile. But i'm also sure the typhon/SCT410 (or basically anything?) would drive better, have better tunability, etc. But if this is just going to be a street basher, is it going to be $200-300 better?

Agreed, i like the 8SC as well. it looks like a great platform. And it's disappointing that most classes i see for racing are small buggies. But if I wanted to make it a street basher, I would definitely be itching to make it 6s instead of 4s!

Mostly I was just looking to have a multi purpose truck. In the case of the SCT410, it would double as a track day vehicle. Typhon might work for a track day vehicle as well, but when i looked into it last night, the track near me doesn't have any 1/8 scale buggy class (it's a smaller indoor clay track), but even if not, I could still light duty bash it. The big rock or granite would also be multipurpose. Bashing or could even turn it into a speed runner if I got the 17mm HR hex's.

I have this weird thing where I don't want to buy a rig that's specialized yet. Partially because i like all areas of surface RC and regularly hop between them, but primarily because i'm currently limited to real estate that Mrs. Boss allows me to take up in the garage ;)

The sct410 has my attention as well..ha, who am I kidding, I want em all!!🤣🤣
But seriously, I have been wanting for something different in my collection too.. road rc's aren't an option though, I'd have to haul it to use..to much hassle for me.
I have 4 1/8 truggies, a Hoss, Xmaxx, kaiju, mojave and a 1/8 buggy that are running. Plus a half dozen non running relics.. just looking for something that's different. Crawlers don't get me.. thought about a 1/10 truggy or sct, but 1/10 is a little too small for rough terrain.. boy, I got problems! 🤣🤣

This one ripped on 4s.

+1 for the Typhon 6s vote

Typhon setup Capture.JPG

Fair points. I was essentially using "kit" in place of basically "not-RTR". Doesn't matter too much to me whether it's an actual kit, just don't have a use for supplied electronics. I'll have to look more deeply into the SCT410. I knew there were some differences between the two, but looking at exploded views is only so helpful. And now that you bring it up, I now remember my buddy complaining about the plastic blocks on his SCT410. Alu upgrades were like 30 bucks per side if I remember correctly. Combined with a 17mm hex upgrade, and it's already over the price of a MT410 and still less capable.
What kind of surface
And i do already have an MT410, and it's great. There's a lot to like about that truck. Knowing that the sct410 doesn't stack up to the MT410 for what it's priced at certainly steers me towards something like the tlr typhon.

For real, i'm hearing the preach, and the word is good.

I definitely like the SCT drive/feel and look, so that's why I was partial to the SCT410. And it would be something to compete with my buddy with when we go to the track.
What surface is your track ?

Looking for a truck I can turn into a street basher, but I don't want a dedicated rig (felony, limitless, vendetta etc). Yet. Let me say I did consider the typhon, but ruled it out based on wanting something more kit or roller/slider oriented that a 4s system would fit well in, and since I already have most of the pieces/parts needed.

Would prefer to have a truck that's good for another category, such as taking to the local track to run a few laps, or even light duty bashing. Something in the 1/8 buggy or 1/10+ size. I've got a 130a spektrum and 4068 surpass motor ready to throw in it. Top choices so far:
-Tekno SCT410
-Hobao Hyper 10SCE or TT10
-1/8 scale buggy

What would you gravitate towards? Or something else that's not listed?
You are desribing a TLRT Typhon Roller. I run mine on 4s exclusively. But if you want Big Air with it, not what you want. TLRT too delicate with the Hinge pin mount design (Pills) They crack and break with Big Air hits. Great all around rig for speed and dirt however. I don't think you can get away with just one "Do it All" rig. Not sure if such an animal exists. All around/Do it All, meaning a simple pinion change and tire change, to do what you want, whereever, whenever. If you find a rig that fits the bill let me know.
One reason I have many 6s rigs is because of the different personalities and specific capabilities of each model.
You can always customize a chassis, but then you are bascally locked into one type of use. On Road or Off road. Bash, drift or speedrun.
Many go with the 6s Kraton if its their first Arrma. Getting the roller as one option. I enjoy driving my Kraton both on 6s and 4s.

Ntm , an Arrma 6s rig is to heavy to run to compete with the Tekno / Losi SCT’s that run on 2s only . I tried my Senton 6s on 4s on the track with them , they will run circles around them . On 4s on the jumps they will nose dive . I’m talking about the indoor carpet track for 1/10 trucks and buggies.

@KnowAir my original idea was to buy a roller/slider or kit to save costs since I have almost everything I need in that category. That price is tempting though. At basically the same price as a TLRT, and comes with the electronics, so I could swap as necessary. The torox esc is much preferred to the 6s spektrum stuff.

@SrC I think what I'm describing is less of a do-it-all and more of a does one thing well and can reasonably substitute in another field. Hence street bashing and occasional (not serious) track day. Or maybe light bashing instead. Since I'm not big into racing (yet) and the local track is a 1/10 scale track, the track oriented nature of the TLRT doesn't have as much appeal as the roller aspect. If there was a typhon roller, I'd be suggesting that as option #1.

@3x9rtse it's a 1/10 indoor clay track. An 1/8 scale buggy would likely stick out and they don't run any 1/8 buggy classes. So I would just go for practice laps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back