Kraton What's a good strong Savox servo for the Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spacer you'll need is 6mm. I did the servo plate mod with the 30mm Axial spacers and the 1230 clears perfectly. I do have a lower clearance clamping servo horn too.
Is that horn really a saver against the amazing job @Vanning had to do to fit the 1230 or is there any other difference in configuration?
Got the horn, now waiting for the mount and the servo itself on their way to me...

I got that horn but I decided to stick with the stock horn. It fits extremely tight into the splines, better than expected . It made less of an angle going to the bell crank. However... it doesn't seem to matter if there is some angle or even a spacer. Once I get the metal bell crank installed, it well be a very strong steering and there will be nothing to question. As of now... it's pretty stout.

What did make you decide for the stock?

Another member... Kauiguy, he pointed out that a tall spacer may twist the bell crank arm. Also too much angle. The goal was to fit the big servo but maintain acceptable linkage angle.

So.....angle of the linkage was a deciding factor. I had a pretty tall spacer to make the linkage level. It might add more stress to the bell crank arm by adding that taller spacer. So I setup the linkage with only a 3mm high spacer but made it wider also.

The stock servo arm seemed to work better to keep the linkage more level.

If I go with the metal bell cranks, I'll use the clamp on servo horn and add whatever height spacer is required for this tall servo. The idea is not to twist the bell crank arm. If it's metal, no worries. I feel this servo is tall due to a larger motor and all the gears are thick so they stack up a little higher. I wanted to make it work.

However... as my setup sits now, why bother changing it... it's fine. I could live without adding metal bell cranks but they sure would be nice.

Last edited:
Another member... Kauiguy, he pointed out that a tall spacer may twist the bell crank arm. Also too much angle. The goal was to fit the big servo but maintain acceptable linkage angle.

So.....angle of the linkage was a deciding factor. I had a pretty tall spacer to make the linkage level. It might add more stress to the bell crank arm by adding that taller spacer. So I setup the linkage with only a 3mm high spacer but made it wider also.

If I go with the metal bell cranks, I'll use the clamp on servo horn and add whatever height spacer is required for this tall servo. The idea is not to twist the bell crank arm. If it's metal, no worries. I feel this servo is tall due to a larger motor and all the gears are thick so they stack up a little higher. I wanted to make it work.

However... as my setup sits now, why bother changing it... it's fine. I could live without adding metal bell cranks but they sure would be nice.
I thought the metal bell cranks would be a good idea,but after crashing into a boulder and having the ball pull out,i think i will stick to plastic!

After looking threw this thread,I am going to avoid spacer at steering arm by cutting off one end off 30 mm post. Keep the wider end of post to the pan an other end to under side of servo plate, which should level out control arm.

In your photo of the servo install it looks like your using the rubber isolaters,if you removed those it might not need a spacer?

In your photo of the servo install it looks like your using the rubber isolaters,if you removed those it might not need a spacer?

The Servo is a mm from the chassis pan....that's where she may have to sit. I don't want it any lower than that. I could drop the linkage rod a hair more under the servo arm and remove the rubber isolators to sit the servo right on the chassis , use the 3mm spacer and have a level linkage arm but I'm already happy with it now. I ripped my Kraton around a little already (not full blast yet)....It's all good.
If this wasn't working well...I would have to abort mission for sure. For the money...this servo is boss. It just turns the wheels without straining, I wish it was 550oz but it's fine.

Now that I have the plastic mount out....good lord, it's like a wet noodle and it's a major piece of crap. :D

After looking threw this thread,I am going to avoid spacer at steering arm by cutting off one end off 30 mm post. Keep the wider end of post to the pan an other end to under side of servo plate, which should level out control arm.

This may work !!! Keep us posted on that for sure.

IMG_0465.PNG
Here is what it looks like as it is. Not worried one bit.

500oz just turns my tires and I can turn up the voltage a little bit more it seems. (do at your own risk) Per Savox, it can be done but they don't like to say it. For the money, this thing works well. NOW !!!! For $145 bucks...this is the servo for the Kraton .

Savox SB-2290SG Monster Torque Brushless Servo, Black Edition .13sec / 694.4oz It's also standard size. Hmmmmm, I wonder what mine will do at a higher voltage ?? 6.5 volts may get me just right for $60 bucks.

Last edited:
What is stronger steel gears or metal? Also how do you install a BEC? I SEE THE CC one has a plug to go in receiver but does your servo just plug in the BEC. Just making sure I understand if I buy the cc BEC that I can set that at like 7.4 and get the rated 310 torque from the 1210sg.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back