What's better that MIP?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake4k

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Kraton 4s
Today my MIP hex broke when tightening a pinion. Kind of disappointed since I was using a weak bosch mini-driver.. Also didn't expect that they only provide a 30 day warranty :/

Anyways, can I get something better? Maybe i did something wrong?

IMG_20210331_194249.jpg

Today my MIP hex broke when tightening a pinion. Kind of disappointed since I was using a weak bosch mini-driver.. Also didn't expect that they only provide a 30 day warranty :/

Anyways, can I get something better? Maybe i did something wrong?

View attachment 136194
Sounds like you just got a weak blank or you were going to town on that thing. 💪🏻 Usually the grub strips out. I’ve got both MIP and Vanquish! Both are good IMO!

MIP's are brittle, but hold up well over time. I use a quality hand tool for pinions, since they are usually 2mm or 1.5mm. Using electric gun type like that allows it to torque twist which bends the bit. MIP tools do not bend... much, they shatter.

Dropped my milwaukee M12 driver on the floor with the 2.5mm bit in it...
2019-0803-BrokenMIP2.5mm-20130101-20190803.jpg

So, I'd suggest stick with MIP speed bits, but get a hand tool/screwdriver handle for locking down 1.5mm/2mm stuff.

I use my old Losi hand tools for small stuff like that. Gives you a better feel as to how tight it is and avoids torque twist getting the force off kilter and flexing the bit/tool.

I definitely wouldn't call MIP the "absolute best there is" when there are German and Japanese manufacturers that make drivers for tradesmen and professionals that run $80-120 each. They are dang good tho. Having run the new Proteks side by side with MIPSs they are about in par with each other, and the each have their own advantages and disadvantages. AMain had a replacement driver tip/shaft in the mail within an hour of me asking if they had a warranty, no questions asked.

I definitely wouldn't call MIP the "absolute best there is" when there are German and Japanese manufacturers that make drivers for tradesmen and professionals that run $80-120 each. They are dang good tho. Having run the new Proteks side by side with MIPSs they are about in par with each other, and the each have their own advantages and disadvantages. AMain had a replacement driver tip/shaft in the mail within an hour of me asking if they had a warranty, no questions asked.
Proteks look nice! I was looking to buy a set but they weren’t in stock when I went to purchase. That’s how I got the Vanquish, not disappointed though. They’re great, also have replaceable tips. Haven’t needed them yet🤞🏼

I have the same Bosch driver and made the mistake once to use it for the pinion. Turned the grub screw to Hex round within 1 second.
MIP hand drivers ever since for grub screws.

Actually, I have done the same thing several times. Normally I use the driver, but stops before fully tight and do the rest by hand. This time though, I did give it too much.. When that happens the grub screw usually strips, not the MIP - just as you wrote. I will never use the driver for pinions again.

MIP's are brittle, but hold up well over time. I use a quality hand tool for pinions, since they are usually 2mm or 1.5mm. Using electric gun type like that allows it to torque twist which bends the bit. MIP tools do not bend... much, they shatter.

Dropped my milwaukee M12 driver on the floor with the 2.5mm bit in it...

So, I'd suggest stick with MIP speed bits, but get a hand tool/screwdriver handle for locking down 1.5mm/2mm stuff.

I use my old Losi hand tools for small stuff like that. Gives you a better feel as to how tight it is and avoids torque twist getting the force off kilter and flexing the bit/tool.

That makes sense. I guess I will stick with MIP, but I will try to email them... Until now, I have been more than happy with the MIPs, and it is very rare that I strip a screw when using the MIP (I did that quite a lot before I got the MIPs)

Thank you all!

Unfortunately u have to find a tool truck. They always came to my shop every week. Find a Local garage near u ask what day/ time he goes there

Not sure I'd want to spend $80 when I wouldn't use half of them.

Then don't. You can order them individually.

Keep in mind that these are tiny drivers with long, skinny shafts. They're only going to take so much. If your little Bosch driver puts out 30 lb-ft, well, that's 360 lb-in, which is well beyond the torque spec for any 4mm cap screw. Bam! I don't understand why anyone needs to use power tools on a toy car anyway. Soft wrists much?

Then don't. You can order them individually.

Keep in mind that these are tiny drivers with long, skinny shafts. They're only going to take so much. If your little Bosch driver puts out 30 lb-ft, well, that's 360 lb-in, which is well beyond the torque spec for any 4mm cap screw. Bam! I don't understand why anyone needs to use power tools on a toy car anyway. Soft wrists much?
Geez... should have clicked on the category...
https://shop.snapon.com/categories/682966

$16 each isn't too bad.

Would be helpful if they put the size in the description though...
2021-0331-snapOn-precisionScrewdrivers.jpg

Looks like these would be useful:
1.5mm: https://shop.snapon.com/product/Ele...ctronic-Miniature-Hex-Screwdriver/SGDEH315ESD
2mm,5/64": https://shop.snapon.com/product/Ele...ctronic-Miniature-Hex-Screwdriver/SGDEH320ESD
2.5mm: https://shop.snapon.com/product/Ele...ctronic-Miniature-Hex-Screwdriver/SGDEH325ESD
3mm: https://shop.snapon.com/product/Ele...ctronic-Miniature-Hex-Screwdriver/SGDEH330ESD

They reused the 2.5mm photo for the 3mm page.

Last edited:
Most times when people have issues with bolts or grubs it's generally because of some sort of loctite..!!
Always use heat first before trying to undo those sorts of bolts etc or you will break what ever tools you use 😉

Most times when people have issues with bolts or grubs it's generally because of some sort of loctite..!!
Always use heat first before trying to undo those sorts of bolts etc or you will break what ever tools you use 😉
I was tightening, not loosening :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back