Whats the best gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badmofreaker

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I would like to know what is the best gearing to go as fast as possible on a typhon 6s. The car is set up pretty well,braces,diffs,spool,hobbywing max 6 with 1650 kg motor etc. The center has a 40 tooth and was going to get a 35 pinion, I had a 46 t spur gear and 27 before and had loads of power and speed but want to go faster, please any imput,thanks.

You’re going to be limited by what the MAX6 can output. The gears aren’t going to be a limiting factor. That and aerodynamics.

You’re going to be limited by what the MAX6 can output. The gears aren’t going to be a limiting factor. That and aerodynamics.
Is it because it's not a high speed motor, its a lot faster than the original set up

Point is you can got as high on the pinion as you want as long as you can power the motor. The MAX6 has power limits below that of say an XLX or MAX5.

K,thanks ,I will see how it works later when I get the gear,will probably try a few different ones
I don’t know exactly what size will be the limit, I know that in my Typhon 3S with a BLX185/2400kv on 4S I can get about 75mph on a 29T pinion/37T spool before power gives out. I’ve hit up to 93mph on 6S with the same setup. I am going to drop down to a 27T on 4S and see if I can keep the power on. I may be able to hit 80mph on 4S by dropping DOWN a pinion.

Bottom line is the ESC will be your limiting factor as power delivery will always be the ceiling in a well built rig.

I don’t know exactly what size will be the limit, I know that in my Typhon 3S with a BLX185/2400kv on 4S I can get about 75mph on a 29T pinion/37T spool before power gives out. I’ve hit up to 93mph on 6S with the same setup. I am going to drop down to a 27T on 4S and see if I can keep the power on. I may be able to hit 80mph on 4S by dropping DOWN a pinion.

Bottom line is the ESC will be your limiting factor as power delivery will always be the ceiling in a well built rig.
93 mph sounds good, is it true that you can run up to 8s on the max6

I can't really comment on your motor/ESC combo as I've no experience of that set up.

I use an "RC calculator" to give me a rough idea of possible top speeds of my speed run builds with different KV motors, gearings and batteries. It doesn't take into account all factors (like drag, rolling resistance etc) but as I said it does give a rough idea.
Going off the KV motor you're running on 6S and assuming you're using suitable speed running tyres (GRP - 98mm) then with a 35T pinion/40T spur gear your top speed would be around 103mph.
Link to RC speed calculator: http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

FYI your previous set up of a 27T pinion and 46T spur works out to be 69mph odd.
If you want to try it out for yourself on the RC calculator you'll need to add the values for your diff of 13T pinion and 43T spur together with the tyre diameter you're running.
Tyre diameter/weight thread here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-tire-weight-list.15771/

If you want to have a look at my Typhon 6S speed runner then just click on my "Build Thread Contributor" banner to see my build thread. (y)

I can't really comment on your motor/ESC combo as I've no experience of that set up.

I use an "RC calculator" to give me a rough idea of possible top speeds of my speed run builds with different KV motors, gearings and batteries. It doesn't take into account all factors (like drag, rolling resistance etc) but as I said it does give a rough idea.
Going off the KV motor you're running on 6S and assuming you're using suitable speed running tyres (GRP - 98mm) then with a 35T pinion/40T spur gear your top speed would be around 103mph.
Link to RC speed calculator: http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

FYI your previous set up of a 27T pinion and 46T spur works out to be 69mph odd.
If you want to try it out for yourself on the RC calculator you'll need to add the values for your diff of 13T pinion and 43T spur together with the tyre diameter you're running.
Tyre diameter/weight thread here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-tire-weight-list.15771/

If you want to have a look at my Typhon 6S speed runner then just click on my "Build Thread Contributor" banner to see my build thread. (y)
K,thanks, I will check it out later,heading to the store,I bought a 29 tooth pinion and wont work with the 40 t,I would need one more tooth just to mesh right,the motor was over all the way and needed only 1/16 more to go

Do you have a memory watt meter?

I recommend make some good readings and see where you at compared to specs.

Try it on 8s and see if it gives you the additional speed you're after
And yes it will take it

I haven't been able to open it up yet but at half throttle, its fast with the 35

If you use the HW Wifi module and the HW app, you can review many power parameters of past runs. This may help you determine which direction to proceed with the setup and your attainable speed targets.

K,thanks, I will check it out later,heading to the store,I bought a 29 tooth pinion and wont work with the 40 t,I would need one more tooth just to mesh right,the motor was over all the way and needed only 1/16 more to go
Why won’t the 29T pinion work? Are you sure that both the pinion and spur are 1.0 MOD?

Why won’t the 29T pinion work? Are you sure that both the pinion and spur are 1.0 MOD?
The 28 tooth pinion won't work because mount is all the way over and mesh was too loose but I just picked up and 29 to try later,but so far I like the 40 spur and 35 pinion but need to test it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back