Whats the best gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the original thread, how much lower of a spur gear should I go with the typhon,I'm at 35 pinion and 36 spool and have lots of power all around, but want to drop to a 30 or 32 spool gear and see what it does,anyone else done this setup?
The smaller the Spur the faster you go
The bigger the pinion the faster you go ?????‍♂️

Mine will go to 8s as well, how does it run and what pinion
My car is setup for 160+ mph so it is not really on the same field. That hobbywing ESC would hit amp limiting if you run the gearing I am using. The XLX esc is the best esc for RC speed running.
You can check my build thread if you have not seen it yet.
<----

My car is setup for 160+ mph so it is not really on the same field. That hobbywing ESC would hit amp limiting if you run the gearing I am using. The XLX esc is the best esc for RC speed running.
You can check my build thread if you have not seen it yet.
<----
Will do,my car has a lot of power for gear,and still has a lot of bottom end,it hasn't let me down yet,I'm shooting for 160 range

Will do,my car has a lot of power for gear,and still has a lot of bottom end,it hasn't let me down yet,I'm shooting for 160 range
I think it is important to work your way up to speed. I would try something like 1:1 initially and then work your way up from there (if the ESC can handle it).

In theory 34/34 or 30/30 would run close to 130mph on your car.

I think it is important to work your way up to speed. I would try something like 1:1 initially and then work your way up from there (if the ESC can handle it).

In theory 34/34 or 30/30 would run close to 130mph on your car.
I'm already at 36 spur,35 pinion

So to make sure I understand the setup so I can provide good data....
You have a 1650kv motor (is this the 4985 HW motor?)
HW Max 6s esc running 8s power
36t spur
35t pinion

What tires are you running? GRP 1/8?
And this is on a Typhon 6s?

So to make sure I understand the setup so I can provide good data....
You have a 1650kv motor (is this the 4985 HW motor?)
HW Max 6s esc running 8s power
36t spur
35t pinion

What tires are you running? GRP 1/8?
And this is on a Typhon 6s?
I'm running the infraction tires, on 6s but I can go up to 8s,that will be last resort,

I'm running the infraction tires, on 6s but I can go up to 8s,that will be last resort,

My calculations say on that current setup "could" reach:
92mph on 6s
118mph on 8s

With that said we have seen repeatedly that the HobbyWing ESCs choke around that +90mph point.
What speeds have your recorded with this gearing so far?

My calculations say on that current setup "could" reach:
92mph on 6s
118mph on 8s

With that said we have seen repeatedly that the HobbyWing ESCs choke around that +90mph point.
What speeds have your recorded with this gearing so far?
I haven't got a gps yet,but will when I think I'm going fast enough,just having fun in the process, may have to stick the mamba esc in because I don't think I can fit the maxx 5 esc in it

I haven't got a gps yet,but will when I think I'm going fast enough,just having fun in the process, may have to stick the mamba esc in because I don't think I can fit the maxx 5 esc in it
If you go that route look for the MM2 Retro versus the standard MM2 or MMX.
There are alternative ways of mounting in the XL-X also if you want to go that route. Lots of options on eBay for mounting big ESCs.

If you go that route look for the MM2 Retro versus the standard MM2 or MMX.
There are alternative ways of mounting in the XL-X also if you want to go that route. Lots of options on eBay for mounting big ESCs.
Sounds good, I will look into it

I have the 29T spur on my Limitless, but my motor is 1700kv for 8s
What motor mount are you using, I am going to get the limitless spool set up for the smaller gears because the hot racing only goes to 34 and I want a 30 tooth spur,but also need a different motor mount because it is all the way over,no more adjustment and almost hits the driveshaft on my typhon with the 35,36 gears that are on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back