What's the best oil weight for Kraton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running 60wt all around and works well for me. Not too stiff, and handles moderate jumps pretty well.

Forgot to mention, I am running heavier springs also. Techno orange all around
I just purchased 4 different Tekno spring rates hoping to stiffen my Talion and Kraton. Should I start with the higher springs and work my way down? Those stock springs are way too soft

I got tekno orange 90 mm and it works well... i still could use stiffer springs tho.. but i jump it really high and far. Still handles great tho...

I just purchased 4 different Tekno spring rates hoping to stiffen my Talion and Kraton. Should I start with the higher springs and work my way down? Those stock springs are way too soft
I went straight to orange, in my opinion it could still be a bit stiffer. If you jump a lot, Id say start with orange. I may have to go thicker on my shock oil also, it is still a bit bouncy sometimes with the new springs.

I went straight to orange, in my opinion it could still be a bit stiffer. If you jump a lot, Id say start with orange. I may have to go thicker on my shock oil also, it is still a bit bouncy sometimes with the new springs.
I don't know what stock is but i went to 70wt front and 60wt rear it is not bouncey i run 90mm tekno orange all around, the front has alot of preload adjustment but i wish i could find some 100mm or 110mm for rear i have it all the way down now. It still handles well, i also changed all diff oil 50k center and front and 100k in the rear. Running badlands and 16 tooth pinion seems to be pretty good so far handles great. I am getting GKA chassis braces and servo mount for kraton and a 444 oz/in savox servos for kraton and nero. A talion is in my near future... i love the arrmas they are so much better built than the traxxas junk.ive been running... lol xmaxx is a money pit.

@stianbirkeland you'll find many people running 60-70 wt oil in their shocks. I'd also recommend getting this Losi 6pk shock oil which includes 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 weight oil which allows you to also experiment with different oils.
How about stiffer springs? The stock springs are way too soft for light bashing. They don't hold weight with two 2s or 3s lipos

I run tekno orange 90mm springs on all 4 corners of mine... wish i could have found some 100 or 110mm springs for rear. The front has lots of room for adjusting preload but i hve rear cranked all the way down. They are 100% better than stock.

I run tekno orange 90mm springs on all 4 corners of mine... wish i could have found some 100 or 110mm springs for rear. The front has lots of room for adjusting preload but i hve rear cranked all the way down. They are 100% better than stock.
I started running orange for the rears and pink for the fronts. Seems to keep the nose from bottoming out on those doubles. I kept the oil @ stock but will dampen them out with thicker oil.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Interesting how everybody has their own way of settting up their Shock/spring system. I guess it really boils down to what you use it for and how you drive it.

Anyway, I own a Kraton and I just purchased Kyosho Red 95mm big bore springs that I am experimenting with on all 4 corners. If it is too stiff for the front, I bought Kyosho blue front springs (length not provided) see links below. I am running 80 wt shock oil in all 4 shocks.

Rear shocks red
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401103168913

Front shocks blue
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361381692173

My local RC hobby store recommended these as they were the strongest and longest springs he knew of. I have yet to bash with the springs, I will let you guys know how they feel after my first run.

Last edited:
I got tekno orange 90 mm and it works well... i still could use stiffer springs tho.. but i jump it really high and far. Still handles great tho...
Josh just broke 1st shock shaft launching Kraton pretty huge at local dirt bash spot testing Tekno orange springs. Hadn't changed oil yet, going to try 70/60. Have you busted a shaft yet? Snapped cleanly at lower mount, just at/above threads I think. Was launching off hard dirt lip, will post vid tonight. Curious if you have any input on this if you like going big.

Hey Rich, I've watched your videos on YouTube. I have the outcast and ran it bone stock for 5 packs with some jumping and both my front shock shafts were bent. Tore it apart to fix and got it all cleaned up and put back together. This time with the tekno orange springs and some jumping but nothing too extreme, both front shafts are bent again! I struggle to see how any normal landing would cause this. In my case I am thinking it might be from a bad landing. There are marks on my body where I landed hard enough to hit the upper portion of the shock and cause significant side force.

Hey Rich, I've watched your videos on YouTube. I have the outcast and ran it bone stock for 5 packs with some jumping and both my front shock shafts were bent. Tore it apart to fix and got it all cleaned up and put back together. This time with the tekno orange springs and some jumping but nothing too extreme, both front shafts are bent again! I struggle to see how any normal landing would cause this. In my case I am thinking it might be from a bad landing. There are marks on my body where I landed hard enough to hit the upper portion of the shock and cause significant side force.
I rushed putting mine on my Kraton due to time constraints and now think I had collars down too tight when my rear shaft snapped. I'd fixing to try 70 up front and 60 in the back personally. It's certainly possible that direct lateral force to either the shock body or shaft could bend your shafts. Any binding at either shock mounting points could easily bend them too. I'd remove springs from shock with truck lifted and reattach to rig just to test full range of motion with your hands lifting A arms without springs to be certain motions are smooth as angles change during compression. Make sure droop screws are set as to not pull shocks down too far, and make sure shock is not too stiff, back off your collars so top of shafts can compress into shock body a bit easier.

I'd fixing to try 70 up front and 60 in the back personally. It's certainly possible that direct lateral force to either the shock body or shaft could bend your shafts. Any binding at either shock mounting points could easily bend them too. I'd remove springs from shock with truck lifted and reattach to rig just to test full range of motion with your hands lifting A arms without springs to be certain motions are smooth as angles change during compression. Make sure droop screws are set as to not pull shocks down too far, and make sure shock is not too stiff, back off your collars so top of shafts can compress into shock body a bit easier.

I've got 800 in the back and 1000 in the front which I think is close to 60 and 80? Thanks for the advice on checking the range of motion. I've got it partially torn apart so I'll be sure to do that as I go back together with everything.

View attachment 2844 View attachment 2843 Interesting how everybody has their own way of settting up their Shock/spring system. I guess it really boils down to what you use it for and how you drive it.

Anyway, I own a Kraton and I just purchased Kyosho Red 95mm big bore springs that I am experimenting with on all 4 corners. If it is too stiff for the front, I bought Kyosho blue front springs (length not provided) see links below. I am running 80 wt shock oil in all 4 shocks.

Rear shocks red
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401103168913

Front shocks blue
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361381692173

My local RC hobby store recommended these as they were the strongest and longest springs he knew of. I have yet to bash with the springs, I will let you guys know how they feel after my first run.
I have been searching the threads and am curious how you are finding this setup mentioned above .....

I have been searching the threads and am curious how you are finding this setup mentioned above .....

Hi SMandavy, not sure I understand your question...can you be more specific???

Are you asking about the shocks or the springs?
Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back