Kraton Whats the big deal with aftermarket power systems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some don’t know how to drive, solder, electronic limitations, very few life experiences and are 14 years old others have engineering degrees and are in their 50’s and 60’s (or older...)

14 year old with engineering degree here, can confirm that we have diverse backgrounds and experiences, and large variance in what we need to satisfy our R/C impulses.

My next 4S pass should be just north of 140mph...assuming the batteries can provide sufficient oomph and that I don't crash.
After seeing Chris's log with typhon I'm blown away by that smc v2 pack he is running...would love a hit with detta with one of those.prbly 150/4s with single pack with 1 of them..next season will be crazy,,,to say the least..pack power an technology is banging right now

large variance in what we need to satisfy our R/C impulses.
Exactly, stock electrics opinion is based on your expectation on what they should do.
After seeing Chris's log with typhon I'm blown away by that smc v2 pack he is running...would love a hit with detta with one of those.prbly 150/4s with single pack with 1 of them..next season will be crazy,,,to say the least..pack power an technology is banging right now
Agreed, batteries can really break or make a setup. I hope the solid state battery technology trickles down soon. More power with less volatility.

I might be wrong but personally, I think solid state batteries are vaporware. At least for the foreseeable future. I don't think there will be any significant movement in terms of energy storage for quite some time. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard, read or seen articles or videos about the latest advancement in batteries and none of them have shown themselves to be anything other than a theoretical possibility or just plain fraud. I'll be pleasantly surprised when the next big thing drops, I just don't see it happening for at least another 10-15 years. Yes, there will be something new before then, I'm just talking about when it trickles down to consumers.
Agreed, batteries can really break or make a setup.
Definitely. Once you get into serious performance endeavors, they become the lynchpin. You can have the best everything else but if your batteries don't deliver it will be all for naught. I've got a pair of ONYX 4S 8000mAh coming (hopefully) next week sometime. I'm really excited to try those out because they've really shown themselves to be a bit of a game changer in speed running circles. On average people gained 10mph at ROSSA this year just by using ONYX packs. Two or three weeks ago a guy pulled 142mph with a VTE2 on a single 4S pack.

You might be right plus battery master mind John Goodenough is now 100years old and has slowed down a bit...remarkable man.
An amazing man indeed. His Li-Ion technology has made so much of what we take for granted nowadays possible. Perhaps we'll see his most recent ideas realized someday, or maybe they'll be consigned to the history books as a novel, but in reality unworkable, idea. Time will tell.

I'm definitely not one of the fastest, but my PB at this point is 131mph on 4S. This would be impossible with the stock electronics. Those max out around 100mph give or take. I don't have a video of my early speed running exploits because I didn't have a camera back then but there are enough videos out there of people maxing out the stock gear. I think the fastest I've seen was 105 or 107mph on 6S. But here's my 131mph pass if this helps make my case. I won't use the "opinion" eject button. This is just objectively true.
Would you mind sharing the details of your light setup?

Would you mind sharing the details of your light setup?
Sure thing. I'm just going to copy/paste this from another post as I get asked this fairly frequently.

I use two sets of these up front (though one is probably enough, they're bright as all get out)
https://www.rcmart.com/g-t-power-hi...stem-for-rc-truck-car-boat-gtp-37367-00037367
1656124083811.png

And one of these screwed into my diffusor. Mine is by a company called Fischer but I can't find it for sale in the US. This should be the equivalent. Yes, this one is currently out of stock, but should get you pointed in right direction. These are blindingly bright tail lights. Absolutely love it.
https://amz.run/5iQ3
1656124432476.png

For reference - this is a picture of me at night with the light in my mouth...I don't usually look this good. No...this picture has not been enhanced or modified in any way. My mouth is closed. All the light you see is coming from inside my head...and it's pointing away from the camera.
spooky.jpg

Sure thing. I'm just going to copy/paste this from another post as I get asked this fairly frequently.

I use two sets of these up front (though one is probably enough, they're bright as all get out)
https://www.rcmart.com/g-t-power-hi...stem-for-rc-truck-car-boat-gtp-37367-00037367
1656124083811.png

And one of these screwed into my diffusor. Mine is by a company called Fischer but I can't find it for sale in the US. This should be the equivalent. Yes, this one is currently out of stock, but should get you pointed in right direction. These are blindingly bright tail lights. Absolutely love it.
https://amz.run/5iQ3
1656124432476.png

For reference - this is a picture of me at night with the light in my mouth...I don't usually look this good. No...this picture has not been enhanced or modified in any way. My mouth is closed. All the light you see is coming from inside my head...and it's pointing away from the camera.
spooky.jpg
Appreciate it. Looks like the rear light is rechargeable. Do you run the front lights off the BEC?

Appreciate it. Looks like the rear light is rechargeable. Do you run the front lights off the BEC?
Sure thing. The front lights plug into the receiver to turn them on/off and they have a separate lead for power. I just run a small 2S battery that rides on my diffusor to power them.

This is the car from behind. The block under the GNSS is the battery (I'm using a smaller one now, but just to get the general idea).
SAM_6260.JPG

This is how I have the front lights mounted.
SAM_6262.JPG

Last edited:
Back to the OP’s original post.

Like any other hobby, when you reach a certain level there are equipment limitations that prevent you from moving forward. That being said, I’ve never changed out a stock system right away just because I could.

A cool thing about upgrades…….they force you to become proficient at all things electronic, which can be daunting for someone new. If you like wrenching, upgrades can be as much fun as driving.

cheers,
kev

I never tried my Fireteam, Outcast EXB or my Infraction stock. Feelsbad :eek: :ROFLMAO:

I had one HW sensored on my kyosho MP9… cheap QuicRun 10BL120.. for being around 50 or 60 bucks. It definitely wasn’t terribly expensive one of those things that you wouldn’t care if it broke or not.. regardless. Hobbywing IMO is more reliable for bashing compared to some castle ESCs I wouldn’t want to put a XLX2 into a basher. But mm8s I would 😂
The 10BL120's are sleepers IMHO. A great bargain. Never run hot for me.
Just that they are not WP. I run them in my (3) 1/10 rigs.
I don't run in the wet anyway.

The 10BL120's are sleepers IMHO. A great bargain. Never run hot for me.
Just that they are not WP. I run them in my (3) 1/10 rigs.
I don't run in the wet anyway.
Agree. I never buy non-waterproof electronics but I got a 10BL120 with a used car purchase. Great performance and heat management, especially for the size.

I never felt the WP ones are/were really sealed well anyway. Been there. Why I never run in the wet anymore with BLX gear.
But when and if you do…best move fast or the whole car will go up 🔥 there are many that have experienced the spectrum 150amp go up in flames. I was not even pushing my Noto when this happened. Would have lost more of the car if it hadn’t been just 15’ away from me.

View attachment 258226

View attachment 258227
Looks about right....... What they do.:(

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/notorious-6s-blx185-went-ablaze-on-fire.11675/

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back