Whats the difference between 3s and 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiles

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So I’m pretty new to the rc world but I’ve been obsessed since I got my granite. I’ve taken it apart and put it back together and watched every video I could find on it. Of course once you start you always want to go bigger but I don't see why upgrade. I want to just bash it and do flips. The 3s seems like it goes almost as fast as the the 6s and weighs way less so it seems like it breaks less. Maybe I could put a 4s in it to get some extra but I don’t know. Am I missing something or is it just becouse people like the bigger cars?

The ESC and or motor can only handle so much. The BLX100 and 3200kv is rated to 3s. If you go 4s you will burn it up.

I'm in the same boat and want to get a 6s truck but cant even get the full potential out of 3s in my yard.

Bigger trucks are well suited to bigger, rougher terrain and handle quite differently. If you get the chance to drive one, you'll know immediately.

The ESC and or motor can only handle so much. The BLX100 and 3200kv is rated to 3s. If you go 4s you will burn it up.

I'm in the same boat and want to get a 6s truck but cant even get the full potential out of 3s in my yard.
Well I would get a new motor too. I’ve been going to the skate park and getting the full potential out of this thing. It can get back flips, doubles , front flips and enough speed to really launch it. I’m sure a bigger car handles a little better but I ain’t trying to race it. Yeah if I ever get a chance to drive one I’m sure I’ll be hooked tho hahha

So I’m pretty new to the rc world but I’ve been obsessed since I got my granite. I’ve taken it apart and put it back together and watched every video I could find on it. Of course once you start you always want to go bigger but I don't see why upgrade. I want to just bash it and do flips. The 3s seems like it goes almost as fast as the the 6s and weighs way less so it seems like it breaks less. Maybe I could put a 4s in it to get some extra but I don’t know. Am I missing something or is it just becouse people like the bigger cars?

What you do is put 6s electronics in a 3s vehicle like I do and now you'll have a broken parts party! ;):cool:

I'm no electric master, this is my first electric RC, but I did start with nitro almost 25 years ago. In my opinion there is no difference between 3S and 6S - in a vacuum all by itself. The difference is 3 cells.

What matters is power/weight ratio, ground clearance/wheel size. SCALE. Lastly, we have $$$/durability.

You can have a 5lbs car at 3S or a 10lbs car at 6S and there is little difference except for size/scale. They have the same power to weight ratio. And can probably go the same speed more or less.

There is also a durability vs size. A 20lbs car will be far more capable but if you crash will break very easily. A 1lbs car will be a micro toy but almost impossible to break.

I my choice is a 13lbs car at 1/8th scale with monster-ish tires. It balances durability with capability, but it's not cheap. 1/10th are far cheaper and more durable, but I was always left wanting more. You connect with the larger car more because you can understand what it's doing and how it's reacting more easily than a smaller scale. At a large 1/8th I'm a little too big for some areas already (like in a house) but can still take it anywhere outside and I can drive over almost anything I come across one way or another.

You could build a solid titanium car at like 1/18th scale and it will be unbreakable without serious abuse and 3lbs. Probably only need 2S in it.

Last edited:
depends where your running it really like said above 1/8 scale handles a lot better especially on rougher ground. they don't break as much once you learn how to drive

Ha! Can't believe you all got the answer wrong so far. In cases like this see Ockham, or Occam's razor: a scientific and philosophical rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex or that explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities, or.... the simple answer is likely correct. The answer is 3
someone repost GIF

Last edited:
Ha! Can't believe you all got the answer wrong so far. In cases like this see Ockham, or Occam's razor: a scientific and philosophical rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex or that explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities, or.... the simple answer is likely correct. The answer is 3
Haha, I did say "The difference is 3 cells."

The 6s RCs are bigger and heavier than the 3s ones, but more expensive.
6s is generally considered funner (bigger = better), and can drive over rougher terrain faster, but it is A LOT more expensive and breaks faster (because of the weight and power, and metal doesn't flex back like plastic).

It's like comparing the splash of fun a pebble and a really expensive boulder make in a pond. Do you want to invest into the hobby this much?

People often put the electronics of 'the next class up' in RCs (4s in 3s rigs, 6s in 4s, 8s in 6s etc.), because they want better cooling or more power, or both
The answer is 3
I thought it was 42, as it's the answer to everything?

It sounds like a trial and error type of thing.
My noob advise is to go big and find out what happens.
After a few Castle combo's and some exploded batteries you'll start to figure it out.(y)
(kidding of course)

I have a Granite and a Outcast(O6S)- both SWB MTs. Also have Kraton6S and a 3s monster SCT (similar to a BBRC-size), both LWB MTs.

With the SWB, the difference is not huge. Neither the G3S or the O6S can really be driven at WOT because (in grass) they just wheelie or (on tarmac) you lose control before you hit max speed. Both jump great, both wheelie, standing back flip, easy backflips and front flips while jumping. The big difference is size of the truck, and the size of rough ground the truck can run thru before you have issues. Bigger truck = deeper grass is not an issue. Rougher ground is less of an issue. My Outcast / Kraton, I can run in semi-mowed (dry) retention ponds and use the berms as jumps. My Granite gets bogged down in that same grass, but does fine on mowed soccer field grass.

Where the Granite has the advantage is when you are running in a smaller area, like a kids park. The Granite is more fun at lower speeds (compared to the O6S) which lets you feel like you are still running hard, even when you are in a smaller space. With the O6S in a small area, you end up dinking around at 20% throttle and the truck feels like it is just rolling around.

With the LWB MT's, the difference is similar.
Well I would get a new motor too. I’ve been going to the skate park and getting the full potential out of this thing. It can get back flips, doubles , front flips and enough speed to really launch it. I’m sure a bigger car handles a little better but I ain’t trying to race it. Yeah if I ever get a chance to drive one I’m sure I’ll be hooked tho hahha
For a Skate park, the 3s truck, on 3s will probably break less. Make the Granite heavy (4s) and it will suffer. The 6s trucks are tough for general bashing, but skate parks will bend the metal parts (chassis and shock towers). With either the 3s or 6s, if you jump as high as possible off the quarter pipe, and land on concrete, and dork the landing, you will break.

it runs fine on 4s arrma just tips you not to do it because of the temps run a low pinion you will be fine

i run fine on 4s lol temps are normal after a good bash time, problem is tires blow like nothing!

angry riding GIF by South Park
vs.
V8 Supercars Win GIF by Supercars Championship

EDIT: 3s is wicked powerful also

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back