What's the effect stretching has on springs? (knowledge of physics needed?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bean

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
The strength of a spring (spring rate) is measured in newton per cm (or pounds per inch, if you for some reason use the imperial system). I'm going to use grams per cm (g/cm) because nobody knows newtons (1N ≈ 100 grams, depending on where on earth you are).

Let's say, for example, my RC has 10cm long springs with a spring ratio of 250 g/cm. I'm constantly getting chassis slap (not really, but in the example) because my springs aren't stiff enough, and preload doesn't help. I'm too lazy and cheap to get new ones. I decide I'll stretch my springs to 12cm long.

What would happen?
  1. Does the spring ratio stay the same? If that's the case, that would mean preload has more effect, because preload pre-loads (compresses) your springs
    • 10cm --> 12cm , still with 250g/cm would mean there is an extra 2cm (500g) to be compressed by the preload.
  2. Does the spring ratio get higher?
    • 10cm --> 12cm , 250g/cm --> 400g/cm would mean that the effect of 1 gets increased.
  3. Does the spring ratio get lower?
    • 10cm --> 12cm , 250g/cm --> 150g/cm would mean that the effect of 1 gets reduced.

I hope somebody understands what I'm saying, but this shouldn't be a problem if you have a basic understanding of physics.

Tnx! Some people strech their springs, so I now know that isn't the optimal solution

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back