Big Rock Whats the type of tools should i buy for thr big rock v3?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAriesX92

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the hobby my first truck is a Big Rock V3 and I like to know what type of Hex Wreches I need to buy to work on the truck?

Amazons 15 dollar hex set is all you need. I do entire repairs in seconds with cheapest tools. You'll go broke buying unnecessary tools and parts.
Nice! Another noob here. Do you possibly have the link for this?

^^^Do you want a link for the good stuff or the AMZ garbage???
Don't Cheap out on tools.
But if you need to find out for yourself, go right ahead.:LOL: That's what newbs do after they ask for good advice and don't take that advice.🤷‍♂️
Buy cheap, buy three times over.:ROFLMAO:
And ruin your $fasteners/screws$ over and over while you are at it.:cautious: Then
come to AF when you have a stripped setscrew on your pinion gear or motor mounts And your hands/palms get all chewed up from wrenching with rough garbage alloy handles.
I have the "Good stuff" and even the cheap AMZ sets to prove my point. Yes, I review all the garbage also. Doing this hobby for 30+ years. :cool:
20210111_133028.jpg
20210111_133028.jpg

20210111_132436.jpg

20210111_133303.jpg

^^^ABOVE^^^
I used these Cheap AMZ drivers maybe 3 times if that!!!!!!!!!!
And not even on Thread locked fasteners!!!!!!!!!!
Be warned.;)

Last edited:
^^^These MIP's are 8 years old, and my second set in 20 years. With numerous kit build and rebuild wrenching on them.
I would not dare use the 1.5mm AMZ driver on ANY of my 1.5 fasteners at all. China Monkey Metal for sure. :ROFLMAO: (n)(n)(n)
The Crappy handles will give bleeding callouses on you palms. Guaranteed. Even with gloves. (n) They will cut through them.(n)
I wrench on my scale cars and I don't use garbage tools there either.
:cool:

Amazons 15 dollar hex set is all you need. I do entire repairs in seconds with cheapest tools. You'll go broke buying unnecessary tools and parts.

The blind leading the blind. (n)
Just what we need here.:ROFLMAO:

^^^These MIP's are 8 years old, and my second set in 20 years. With numerous kit build and rebuild wrenching on them.
I would not dare use the 1.5mm AMZ driver on ANY of my 1.5 fasteners at all. China Monkey Metal for sure. :ROFLMAO: (n)(n)(n)
The Crappy handles will give bleeding callouses on you palms. Guaranteed. Even with gloves. (n) They will cut through them.(n)
I wrench on my scale cars and I don't use garbage tools there either.
:cool:
How do you like those Vanquish tools compared to the MIPS? I'd like to get 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 immediately as they are the most common I've run into on the 3 cars we've gotten recently. The price is about the same, but the Vanquish are in stock and the MIPS are not at the moment (about to order new Max 10 SCT and 3660SL combo from AMain). I've already stripped a few screws on my senton with the wrenches they send with it :banghead:

I have some snap-on sockets I use for hex nuts but will eventually get decent nut drivers for those too.

MIP tools for your standard hex work. I use a Hudy 2.5 ball end for the driveshafts. MIPs are not long enough. Don’t skimp on the tools they will pay for themselves many times over.....

How do you like those Vanquish tools compared to the MIPS? I'd like to get 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 immediately as they are the most common I've run into on the 3 cars we've gotten recently. The price is about the same, but the Vanquish are in stock and the MIPS are not at the moment (about to order new Max 10 SCT and 3660SL combo from AMain). I've already stripped a few screws on my senton with the wrenches they send with it :banghead:

I have some snap-on sockets I use for hex nuts but will eventually get decent nut drivers for those too.
I recommend the MIP's first and foremost. 👍👍
The Vanquish are a great supplement. Because they are a bit longer. (And the 4th 3mm driver is included)
Quality of the tips appears the same for both.
I would get the 3 piece MIP Set, (1.5,2.0,2.5mm) Then buy the single piece 3mm separately. MIP's cost the same as the Vanquish products. Both brands average out to $15 per driver. 🤷‍♂️
Vanquish Products is $60. (4 pieces) MIP is $45. (3 drivers) Add the MIP 3mm and that's another $15.($60)

The Vanquish handles have less leverage compared to the MIP's. FWIW.

Edit: There is nothing wrong with using your SnapOns for hex nuts. I use cheaper DynaMite Hex Nut drivers. Those are fine for RC work.
Hex nuts are not critical.
The Screws are what's critical in RC hardware. They round out easily and strip with cheap drivers.
My SnapOns stay in my rollaway.

Get the MIP power driver tips if you use a power tool .

Last edited:
I recommend the MIP's first and foremost. 👍👍

Fair enough. Once I looked at both websites and saw the MIP tools are made in the USA with USA steel and the Vanquish don't acknowledge where they are made (and are apparently owned by Traxxas) it was an easy choice to buy the domestic tools at the same price. I ended up buying the 3-pack on my AMain order and the 3.0 direct from MIP since they had it in stock.

Thanks for the suggestion.

MIP OWNED BY TRAX Ass????
What????
Please educate me on this one. I am all open. Maybe I am ignorant and missed something. What is your source of this?
Moores Ideal Products have been around for like 30 years in the RC game. Did I missed something in my 30 years in RC.??? Maybe :LOL:
Correct me if I am wrong.🤷‍♂️

Vanquish Products makes the Handles here in the US. They outsource the tips in Taiwan. (btw NOT in China) This is common knowledge that VP doesn't hide.
VP does incredible RC Alloy CNC'ing. (Crawler Segment) Probably among the best in the states. They just don't want to machine Tool steel. Requires vastly different equipment for a mere niche product that they sell. They are honest in this regard. But VP would never cut corners on anything they sell. They only sell 100% QC checked goods.
Taiwan has great foundries for machining Hardened Tool Steel. FWIW. Globally well known.

MIP OWNED BY TRAX Ass????
What????

Sorry I wasn't clear... Vanquish had some traxxas link on the bottom of the website, looked like a parent company type thing. I may be wrong...doesn't much matter now. I didn't buy their product.

I wasn't questioning your decision. Either are real good stuff.:)
I have both VP and MIP. I just felt The MIP's are the first choice if the only choice.👍
Just found it strange you say Traxxas owns MIP. 🤷‍♂️
All good.:cool:

Those Vanquish drivers look pretty nice. I like that they sell replaceable tips for $6, I wear out my MIP 2.0mm about every 3-4 years. It'd be nice to just replace the tip rather than throw the whole driver away.

any thoughts on pro tek tools. they have a nice 4 piece set. 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0

Back