What's your "budget" LiPo of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you gettInc an hour runtime on the 5500mah SMC's? I was wanting the 7600mah because I get about 45 minutes on my Lectron Pros now...they are 2S.

Thanks for answering my question too. I didn't take the weight into consideration. I will go with 5400mah.
No problem. The size (mAh) of the batteries can have a huge impact on the weight (300g difference is nearly 3/4lb). No, I get probably at least 30min, maybe more runtime out of either my 5000 or 5200mAh Lipos, whether a 6S or two 3S batteries. However, the runtime really depends on your throttle finger, weight of the vehicle, etc...

I am extremely happy with my Power Hobby batteries. So far, I think they are higher quality than my Onyx (cells stay more balanced) and they are cheaper. There is very little voltage difference between batteries too (when charging). They work great in my Talion.

https://www.powerhobby.com/batterie...c-lipo-battery-2-pack-w-xt90-connector-2.html
I also have 2 of these "exact same" Power Hobby batteries. Although I've been using these for only about 3 months, I have been impressed so far. These Lipos have good power and are quite light (only 350g each) and they are definitely better than Onyx brand. I use these in both my V3 Talion & V3 Kraton. I wouldn't mind trying Power Hobby's 75C or even 100C Lipos, or maybe finally try SMC...

I've been using some gensacearespammers Lipos on my 4S MT for over 3 years now, and still no problems. I have no complaints with this brand.
Ah, nice! I'll prolly get a higher mAh at some point, but 5000 provides plenty of run time it seems.

Ah, nice! I'll prolly get a higher mAh at some point, but 5000 provides plenty of run time it seems.
I agree, around 5000mAh seems to be a good battery size. Less expensive than a large capacity battery, plus lots of run-time & not too heavy. If want more run-time, just get another battery(s). This way, you get more run-time with a lot less weight. This can vary, as some high capacity (mAh) batteries can be heavier than others.

Although I have four (4) 2S gensacearespammers Lipos that I use for my AE Rival MT, I usually use my 2 smaller 5300mAh 65C Lipos more than my 2 larger 7000mAh 50C gensacearespammers batteries. All 4 gensacearespammers are still running strong...

My Zippy 6S is 5000mAh & my two (2) Power Hobby 3S Lipos are 5200mAh. Again, I believe this is a good battery size.

V3 Kraton battery tray (max) dimensions are 158x48x70mm (LxWxH). Specs for this battery show 139x48x37mm. Two (2) of these batteries would be 139x48x74mm. Length and width are ok, but height would probably be too much at 74mm. Also keep in mind that the (2) SMC batteries you show would be only 2 grams shy of 1000g & that's very heavy. 5000-5500mAh Lipos last a long time & weigh a lot less (700g or even under). Instead of just one battery pack, I have a 6S and two 3S batteries & probably get at least an hour in total of (hard bashing) runtime.
Are these measurements given here for the battery tray confimed? The official arrma website has it listed as 158x51x46mm https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/kraton/blx/story-board and it has been limiting my choices of batteries ive been looking at.

Trying to get everything together before i can take delivery of the new v3 kraton so as i don't have to buy it then have it sat there waiting while i measure up for what batteries to buy.
Wanting to buy 3s batteries in pairs at around 5000mah. Would prefer 3s over a single 6s as so the batteries could be used in other vehicles i already own if required.
Thanks

Are these measurements given here for the battery tray confimed? The official arrma website has it listed as 158x51x46mm https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/kraton/blx/story-board and it has been limiting my choices of batteries ive been looking at.

Trying to get everything together before i can take delivery of the new v3 kraton so as i don't have to buy it then have it sat there waiting while i measure up for what batteries to buy.
Wanting to buy 3s batteries in pairs at around 5000mah. Would prefer 3s over a single 6s as so the batteries could be used in other vehicles i already own if required.
Thanks
I believe the battery dimensions for the Kraton on Arrma's website is incorrect, as the Kraton & Talion both use the Outcast battery tray, and the battery tray dimensions for both the Talion/Outcast show 158x48x70mm on Arrma's website. I have both the V3 Talion & V3 Kraton, and the battery trays are the same. I double checked the dimensions on my Kraton and is is 158x48x70mm. This should be corrected on Arrma's website, as can be confusing.

Note: 48mm is the max width, and I would not go over this. Although the height is listed at 70mm, I would maybe not go much over 65mm (or you may need to fabricate the top of the battery tray)?

I have a Zippy Compact 60C 6S Lipo that is 157x45x60mm. This fits ok (with no modifications required), but I would not go any longer than this for a battery.

I've been happy with my 3S Power Hobby Lipos. They are 5200mAh (50C constant/100 burst) and have plenty of punch/power. They easily fit the Kraton battery tray measuring only 138x46x27.5mm each (or 138x46x54mm for the pair). Also they only weigh 350g each, so quite light.

I hope this helps clarify what batteries will actually fit the V3 Kraton.

I believe the battery dimensions for the Kraton on Arrma's website is incorrect, as the Kraton & Talion both use the Outcast battery tray, and the battery tray dimensions for both the Talion/Outcast show 158x48x70mm on Arrma's website. I have both the V3 Talion & V3 Kraton, and the battery trays are the same. I double checked the dimensions on my Kraton and is is 158x48x70mm. This should be corrected on Arrma's website, as can be confusing.

Note: 48mm is the max width, and I would not go over this. Although the height is listed at 70mm, I would maybe not go much over 65mm (or you may need to fabricate the top of the battery tray)?

I have a Zippy Compact 60C 6S Lipo that is 157x45x60mm. This fits ok (with no modifications required), but I would not go any longer than this for a battery.

I've been happy with my 3S Power Hobby Lipos. They are 5200mAh (50C constant/100 burst) and have plenty of punch/power. They easily fit the Kraton battery tray measuring only 138x46x27.5mm each (or 138x46x54mm for the pair). Also they only weigh 350g each, so quite light.

Thank you so much for this. Very clear and concise, your a star.
Thank you for the battery recommendations too. Youve been a big help. Brilliant

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad I was able to help. My concern with this battery is Arrma's website shows 5000mAh minimum, so 4000mAh may not be enough and be too hard on your electronics?

Ah, i haven't seen that. I was aware of using a certain minimum C rating but not of using a minimum mah. Never mind i guess i'll just keep looking.
Thanks for the heads up

Ah, i haven't seen that. I was aware of using a certain minimum C rating but not of using a minimum mah. Never mind i guess i'll just keep looking.
Thanks for the heads up
Although the mAh is not enough, I also noticed this Basher Lipo & definitely it's a great price. No worries, as it shows 'OUT OF STOCK" anyways. Unfortunately, many of Turnigy Lipos at Hobbyking are just a bit too wide for the battery tray. I got my Power Hobby 3S Lipos off ebay.

Last edited:
Although the mAh is not enough, I also noticed this Basher Lipo & definitely it's a great price. No worries, as it shows 'OUT OF STOCK" anyways. Unfortunately, many of Turnigy Lipos at Hobbyking are just a bit too wide for the battery tray. I got my Power Hobby 3S Lipos off ebay.
Yeah i noticed that with the turnigy ones. Have managed to find this one though https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-5000mah-3s-45-90c-lipo-pack-xt-90.html and in 6s there is also https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-5000mah-6s-60c-lipo-pack-xt90.html
Neither of them crazy money but sure would of been nice to pick up some more £18 turnigy 3s batteries lol

Yeah i noticed that with the turnigy ones. Have managed to find this one though https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-5000mah-3s-45-90c-lipo-pack-xt-90.html and in 6s there is also https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-5000mah-6s-60c-lipo-pack-xt90.html
Neither of them crazy money but sure would of been nice to pick up some more £18 turnigy 3s batteries lol
Good find, as I missed that Turnigy one when I looked. Sorry, I should have mentioned this Zippy Compact 6S to you earlier, as this is the battery I got from Hobbyking. I should have sent you a link, but gathered you wanted two 3S batteries instead. Both have XT90 connectors, so no soldering.

Last edited:
Yeah definitely a bonus i.e the connector. I have an iron and could if needed but id rather not.
Yeah i was wanting to find 3s batteries i could use in different vehicles but it seems it will be a bit too challenging given my other vehicles battery tray dimensions so the 6s may be the way to go after all.

Thanks for your help

I just bought these turnigy 3s 5000mah 60c xt90 lipos

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-heavy-duty-5000mah-3s-60c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90.html?___store=en_us

Order several weeks ago...finally shipped (free) on Monday. Have had good luck with zippy compact 3s 60c...figured I try Turrnigy (cheaper). Debated between this and smc...but price was right...plus heard 90c smc rating might be overrated
I looked at those but at 51mm wide they might not fit so im interested to see what happens. If you do make em fit they should be a decent choice battery.

I just bought these turnigy 3s 5000mah 60c xt90 lipos

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-heavy-duty-5000mah-3s-60c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90.html?___store=en_us

Order several weeks ago...finally shipped (free) on Monday. Have had good luck with zippy compact 3s 60c...figured I try Turrnigy (cheaper). Debated between this and smc...but price was right...plus heard 90c smc rating might be overrated
I see you have the Nero, as the 51mm width for these Turnigy Lipos are unfortunately too wide for the Kraton/Talion/Outcast. I agree, as I've had no problems with my Zippy Compact 6S 60C. I also heard that about SMC, but this over-rating seems to apply for many batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back