What's your "budget" LiPo of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the new 6S pack from SMC and it works well. Can't say for sure, but there is a hair more room. i'd think 2 x 3s packs would fit tightly.
Reached out to SMC and they confirmed the same. They said Product Code 54135-6S1P or 74149-6S2P are the ones to get... now to just find the right charger

Worth a try at only $26.25 each for 3S Lipos...

Love how it says it is a 5000mah, and shows a 5200mah which is right let us know what you really get.

Just thought I would follow up to this.

I now have several packs through these packs and these are my final thoughts on them.
These packs are not matched.
Based on my testing the actual capacity of these batteries is much closer to 5800mah. Pack 1 takes in a tad under 5800mah pack 2 takes in a tad under 5900mah.
The C rate is definitely not 50C. I would say maybe 30c.
For the price they aren't bad, but they are nothing to write home about either. I would have to give these packs two thumbs down and say your money is better spent on a better brand.

-edit- To add to this, I have seen these same packs advertised as 5000mah 60c and 5000mah 55c. I honestly think they just toss a random label on these packs.

Last edited:
This SMC pack is my "go to" pack for my Talion. I've just run them 25 times, but they hold on perfectly well. pretty balanced as long as i don't run them too low (i try to not get lower than 3.7v, as they recommend)

Hi

I was just looking at some SMC packs and they have both an Amp rating and a C rating on them that is different from each other, I'm a little confused by this, I thought you got the Amp rating by doing "mAh x C = Amp's" or am I missing something.

Hi

I was just looking at some SMC packs and they have both an Amp rating and a C rating on them that is different from each other, I'm a little confused by this, I thought you got the Amp rating by doing "mAh x C = Amp's" or am I missing something.
The first thing that you should know is that any c rate above 50c is made up. With current technology the highest possible C rating is 50c, and that is best case scenario. SMC has a post on Facebook about this and even admits that the C rate listed on his packs is fake. He does this to keep up with the rest of the market.

Most lipo batteries can only handle actual amp loads of between 80 and 150 amps. If you took one of these batteries https://www.maxamps.com/hard-case-lipo-6000xl-3s-11-1v-savage-flux-pair and put it under a 600a load it would explode. If those c rates on those batteries were even close to being true you could start a car with them.

Tldr that amp rating is the true amp rating for the battery. C rates are a lie.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons

http://www.thercnetwork.com/rc-cars/lipo-battery-c-ratings/

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2974947-Don-t-Get-Fooled-By-Fake-C-Ratings-Scam-Alert

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1009300-warning-lipo-c-discharge-ratings-invalid.html

Take the snippet here about Graphene with a grain of salt, these seem more his opinions and personal bias, than they are facts. https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=163

Last edited:
Hi

I would like to thank you for posting those links, they really helped, and now I understand what the numbers on the smc packs mean.

I have been using gensacearespammers Tattu batteries in a all my rigs. (3S, 4S, 6S ) and all seem to be holding up really well. I run the 3 and 4 batteries in a castle Mamba X Slash with a 1415 castle motor and it works great. I use the 6s exclusively in my Notorious and have had no issues at all so far. They have a 35C rating

When I was looking for 3S packs that would fit all my trucks, I ended up buying a couple hobbystar 3s 5200 lipo's. I'm only running them in my smaller trucks. I haven't had a chance to compare them much to what I ran previously and I've only cycled them maybe 2-3 times so far.

In the end, I should have just went with SMC 3S that were short enough to fit in my stampede 4x4 (142lx48w). The HS 5200's are shorter than my SMC 7200/7400 2S packs but thin enough to fit in my ERBEv1 and Savage Flux HP. I was contemplating switching to a 3S pack that fit everything just to make life easy then dial back the EPA on the big trucks so I didn't beat them up too much.

I'll have to try keeping an eye on how much they charge from 3.4V. The run time doesn't seem any better than the traxxas 5000mah I was running in my eJato. They feel a bit soft in punch, but I changed 2 things between when I ran the eJato last and when I ran the HS packs. The motor from 3500 traxxas to 3800 castle and the packs. The 3500 fried on me. I got the sct sv3/3800 combo, but stayed with the traxxas vxl-3S esc for now, just out of sheer laziness of not wanting to remove/mount the castle esc in the truck. Also, with packs, I know the first few cycles are kind of weak, so will see how they do after I get 4 or 5 cycles through them in my stampede and ejato. Doubt I'll ever run them in anything else.

The traxxas 5000mah packs were too long to fit in my stampede. I know they suck for high current applications. I tried them once in my outcast just to see what 6S was like and one of them puffed up a bit. That was the only time I ever used them out of the box. I bought them almost 2 years ago to use in my brushless revo when I got it, then by the time the truck showed up, I found that the v1 did not do well with 6S (blows diffs/axles a lot), so I got SMC 2S packs instead and never ran anything else. The traxxas packs had been in a drawer ever since. Couldn't even sell them on the traxxas forum!

I run SMC True spec lipos for my rigs, for my proline I run the 7400mah 90C 4S and they can handle the power, I have 2 other 4s 50C and 45C packs that run hot but the SMC's are ice cold. I always by them from here: BEGO racing

Second generation Traxxas 5000mah 3s 25c lipos. The ones with the primarily black case, not the ones with the red. Holy crap, these things are amazing. Always had issues with the old Traxxas 3s lipos puffing in my revo but these new ones have almost 90 runs on them (every run being in this e revo wired in series) and they are completely flat! I’ll post pics if you want! The only problem I have is these horrible balancing leads. I know Traxxas overcharges for their packs but if you find the second generation ones for cheap, pull the trigger!

Edit: for those wondering, I’m talking about the ones that were released early this year. They have the same color scheme as the xmaxx 4s packs.

I have some of the 35c yellow "Zippy Compacts", in a 2200mah and 4000mah flavors. The 2200 are mostly used in my mini's, with 2440 or 2838 motors, but I did run them some in my ECX Brushless Torment with a 3650 330kv motor, and in my Losi XXCR with a F540 3000kv, and a 20t brushed motor... After those abusive runs, they swell a little, but will relax after a day or three. They are my oldest lipos, probably my most used / highest cycles, and still are strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back