What's your "budget" LiPo of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to the list of brands I've now tried. As good or better then HRB's I prefer this packs more sealed up then HRB's

Excellent run times and Mah being put back in is right around 6000.

Product Details:
★Brand: GOLDBAT
★Capacity(mAh): 6000mAh
★Voltage(V): 11.1V
★Discharge Rate (C): 55C
★Configuration: 3S1P
★Net Weight(dev.20g): 453g/16oz
★Length(dev.5mm): 155mm
★Width(dev.2mm): 48mm
★Height(dev.2mm): 27mm
★Connector Type: EC5
★Wire Gauge: AWG10#
★Wire Length(mm): 120mm
★Balancer Connector Type: JST-XHR's

To add to the list of brands I've now tried. As good or better then HRB's I prefer this packs more sealed up then HRB's

Product Details:
Where do you find those?

Yeah these are good suggestions, definitely.

What I took from the thread as a "safe bet" was,
Smc
Hobby star
gensacearespammers
Hrb
And plenty of people using and happy with turnigy and zippy batteries although the consensus seems to be to go with the nano tech or graphenes

Hi,
Interesting standing, especially for Hobby star.
PL

Product Details:
How long have you been running those?

Today TIP! :)

I’ve spent a ton of hours looking at Lipo batteries on Amazon. A few months ago I came upon a brand called “Zeee” and bought a pair strictly on price. They are 3S,4500 mAh,40c and I spent $50 for a pair. They are soft packs as well. After using them for a few weeks a cell on one went bad. The other one is still operating fine. My buddy got a pair of 2S “Zeee” batteries for his Axial Yeti XL. They are 5200 mAh,50 or 60C and were hard cases! They were about $48 for the pair. Both of our sets had Deans connectors. I’ve also had good luck with Flureon Lipo’s. There are a plethora of off brands out there but eventually you get what you pay for. I prefer Venom or Dynamite.

When I got into this hobby about a year ago, I quickly found out that cost can be a barrier to entry if you make bad purchases and bad decisions. When I decided to make the switch to LiPo batteries, I did a ton of research on "budget" LiPo batteries on various online forums. I was looking for a battery that was reliable, good quality, and one that would not break the bank. With that being said, I decided on 2 suppliers: SPC Racing Batteries and SMC Racing Batteries. I run a 5000mAh, 50C, 2S SPC Racing LiPo ($33) in my Fury BLX and could not be happier with the performance. I also run a pair of 2500mAh, 50C, 2S SPC Racing LiPos ($20 each) in my mini E-Revo and a 5000mAh, 50C, 3S SMC Racing LiPo ($40) in my Axial Yeti.

So, what's your battery of choice? Hopefully this thread can help out someone who is just getting into the hobby or someone who is looking for a different pack to try.

I jumped into the rc world running ? lol, I’m running two 3s venom 5000 50c mannnn them thangs go $110 each. my local shop guy gave me a lower deal. #supportshop#greartmfdeals#workperformedfree
#buylumch#lifeisgood

Well, I just ordered 4 HRB 3S1P 5000mah 50C packs to run in my big trucks in pairs. Since they will only fit in my big trucks, I'll have a good idea how they hold up. I'm probably going to just run them in my outcast as I really don't feel like fussing with the gearing in my savage or erbe as it's more of a pain to swap pinions in those. With the hot racing sliding mount in the outcast though, it's very simple and easy to adjust mesh.

I didn't realize it, but my older SMC's are just over 2 years old. I tore 3 of them apart to make 2 3S2P 7200mah packs for my smaller trucks. After that, I got about 10 cycles, then one dropped a cell, so I tore apart the last 2S from that batch to replace the cell. Upon rebuilding it, I found that another cell in that pack was impossible to resolder. No idea why, but it would not take solder for the life of me, so I ended up only retaining "one" cell from the 3S I made and used both cells from the last pack. I have 4 cycles through it since and it balance charges fine, but takes a while to storage charge when empty. I don't think the D7 sends a lot when balancing, at least near the end.

Now that I have 4 3S packs on the way, that opens me up to tear down at least a pair of my current 2S's that are only a year old to build a new 3S out of.

This is a great thread. Im still only a one car guy - call me old fashioned - but have two batteries. A 4s Reaction and a 6s Maxamps. The 6s is not budget by any means but I wanted the lifetime warranty and didn’t know better when I bought it.

So, what is a good battery to car ratio?

I’m thinking I need at least one more 4s - probably SMC. It’s more fun jumping and bashing and the 4s is plenty for that where I run. Although the 6s gets the adrenaline going quite a bit more!

This is a great thread. Im still only a one car guy - call me old fashioned - but have two batteries. A 4s Reaction and a 6s Maxamps. The 6s is not budget by any means but I wanted the lifetime warranty and didn’t know better when I bought it.

So, what is a good battery to car ratio?

I’m thinking I need at least one more 4s - probably SMC. It’s more fun jumping and bashing and the 4s is plenty for that where I run. Although the 6s gets the adrenaline going quite a bit more!
For me, I have enough so I can go nonstop as long as my trucks and my feet and back hold out. ;)

When I go out, I take 2 trucks. A 1/10 that uses a single 3S pack and a 1/8th that uses 2 x 2S (soon to be 2x3S) packs. I have a 2x15A charger in my car. So, I drive to a skate park/bmx track (that's 40 minutes away), bash one set of packs in the big truck and 1 pack in the little. After running the little, I start the car, then put the first set of big truck packs on the charger. Then I fumble about and put the fresh batteries in both the big and little truck, close the trunk, drive to the next destination (20 minute drive and a stop for coffee and to dispose of used coffee).

Usually by the time I reach the second park the first packs I started charging at the last park are done and the single 1/10 pack has cooled, then it goes on the charger and I start all over again. Then to the next bash site... and the next. I have 4 or 5 and they are all at least 15-20 minutes from each other. At the end of the day, I've driven 90-120 miles and bashed for 5-6 hours constant.

Which is usually roughly an 8-10 hour since I left my house bash day.

So, you get enough packs that fits what YOU do and what you want to do. If 2 or 3 gets you by, that's great. If it takes 10, then it takes 10.

Typically, I have a fresh/new pair for my big trucks that sit unused and a spare 3S for my little trucks that sits unused. Then if I have a pack drop a cell or something, I have spares at home for the next bash day and I can get more on order. It works best if you have only a couple battery types, which now I'm retrofitting/working towards having all 3S packs vs all 2S packs. I get enough 3S packs to run in matched pairs in my big trucks and 2 or 3 for my small trucks as they both use the same size. My big and little trucks don't share battery footprints... so now I'm trying to buy 3S that fit all 3 of my big trucks and I can make 3S that fit my smalls out of my old 2S packs.

Basically, I'm never out of batteries.

I have to say... electric requires a lot more planning than nitro did... lol! With nitro, throw the gallon in the bag and go. A couple spare NiMH AA's for the heater and a small charger for the receiver pack or a spare one and your good all day long. Now it seems I plan my days around charge times and cool down cycles for packs.

For me, I have enough so I can go nonstop as long as my trucks and my feet and back hold out. ;)

When I go out, I take 2 trucks. A 1/10 that uses a single 3S pack and a 1/8th that uses 2 x 2S (soon to be 2x3S) packs. I have a 2x15A charger in my car. So, I drive to a skate park/bmx track (that's 40 minutes away), bash one set of packs in the big truck and 1 pack in the little. After running the little, I start the car, then put the first set of big truck packs on the charger. Then I fumble about and put the fresh batteries in both the big and little truck, close the trunk, drive to the next destination (20 minute drive and a stop for coffee and to dispose of used coffee).

Usually by the time I reach the second park the first packs I started charging at the last park are done and the single 1/10 pack has cooled, then it goes on the charger and I start all over again. Then to the next bash site... and the next. I have 4 or 5 and they are all at least 15-20 minutes from each other. At the end of the day, I've driven 90-120 miles and bashed for 5-6 hours constant.

Which is usually roughly an 8-10 hour since I left my house bash day.

So, you get enough packs that fits what YOU do and what you want to do. If 2 or 3 gets you by, that's great. If it takes 10, then it takes 10. Typically, I have a fresh/new pair for my big trucks that sit unused and a spare 3S for my little trucks that sits unused. Then if I have a pack drop a cell or something, I have spares at home for the next bash day and I can get more on order.

Basically, I'm never out of batteries.

I have to say... electric requires a lot more planning than nitro did... lol! With nitro, throw the gallon in the bag and go. A couple spare NiMH AA's for the heater and a small charger for the receiver pack or a spare one and your good all day long. Now it seems I plan my days around charge times and cool down cycles for packs.

Great info. Thanks. I can recharge off my car now with a converter so going to different sites makes sense as (I) recharge my two or three batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back