What's your "budget" LiPo of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran my new HRB 5000 mAh 50c 6s lipo yesterday for the first time. Based on video recording time, I ran about 17 minutes before damage forced me to stop. Checked the voltage when I got home, and all 6 cells still had 3.76 volts or better. I imagine this would mean there's still a lot of run time left, which is very appealing. I'll time the remainder on the next outing this afternoon. It took 45 minutes to charge from storage when they arrived, using my Hitec RDX1 pro set to 10A. I charged at 2c, but need to confirm if the battery specs will allow me to continue to do so.
I don't know where you bought it, but the specs I found on amazon and ebay both say 1C charge rate. Did the packaging say that came with the battery say 2C?

Also notorious J, that charger doesn't supply the wattage to charge that 6s pack at 2c. The rdx1 pro is 100w max. You need probably close to 300w to charge that 6s pack at 2c. I thought 45 minutes seemed a long time for charging 2c. My smc 7600 4s only takes 26 minutes to charge at 2c. And my hrb 6000mah 6s only takes me 35 min at 1c but I have a higher output charger.

Also notorious J, that charger doesn't supply the wattage to charge that 6s pack at 2c. The rdx1 pro is 100w max. You need probably close to 300w to charge that 6s pack at 2c. I thought 45 minutes seemed a long time for charging 2c. My smc 7600 4s only takes 26 minutes to charge at 2c. And my hrb 6000mah 6s only takes me 35 min at 1c but I have a higher output charger.
Points all well taken. I set it to 10A, but the charger will only do what it can. I'll drop it back down to 5A for future charging. I'm not big on following instructions, so if there was any, I likely disregarded them right out of the box.

Points all well taken. I set it to 10A, but the charger will only do what it can. I'll drop it back down to 5A for future charging. I'm not big on following instructions, so if there was any, I likely disregarded them right out of the box.
You probably won't even be able to pull 5a out of that charger, you are about 50w short of being able to charge at 1c, hence the reason it took 45 to charge from storage.

Charger Rate Per Pack(C)Charge Current Per Pack (A)
0.67 C3.35 Amps (A)

You probably won't even be able to pull 5a out of that charger, you are about 50w short of being able to charge at 1c, hence the reason it took 45 to charge from storage.

Charger Rate Per Pack(C)Charge Current Per Pack (A)
0.67 C3.35 Amps (A)
Since I'm a casual user; the times are insignificant. I have two full runs on hand each time I go out, which is plenty of time to completely destroy the Notorious ?

Ran my new HRB 5000 mAh 50c 6s lipo yesterday for the first time. Based on video recording time, I ran about 17 minutes before damage forced me to stop. Checked the voltage when I got home, and all 6 cells still had 3.76 volts or better. I imagine this would mean there's still a lot of run time left, which is very appealing. I'll time the remainder on the next outing this afternoon. It took 45 minutes to charge from storage when they arrived, using my Hitec RDX1 pro set to 10A. I charged at 2c, but need to confirm if the battery specs will allow me to continue to do so.
So I finished the pack and got about another 6 minutes of hard running on pavement, sop that's around 25 minutes run time total. Ran it til it completely stopped and this is the values that came up when I plugged it in to my charger. These are lower values than I've ever reached with my two 3s packs which always seemed to cut out between 3.5V and 3.7V.

20190608_203238[1].jpg

So I finished the pack and got about another 6 minutes of hard running on pavement, sop that's around 25 minutes run time total. Ran it til it completely stopped and this is the values that came up when I plugged it in to my charger. These are lower values than I've ever reached with my two 3s packs which always seemed to cut out between 3.5V and 3.7V.

View attachment 40366
The variance between cell 5 and 6 has me a bit concerned.

The variance between cell 5 and 6 has me a bit concerned.
This was the first outing, and I ran it right down til the truck came to a stop. I'll monitor it in the days to come and try to stop immediately after it hits lvc.

So far, if the Hobbystar 3S 50C 6200 packs hold up over time, I'll keep buying those. I ran them in my savage flux this weekend and they did great. Got about 33 minutes of run time at the skate park (very little stopping) and 32 minutes in offroad bashing with some stupid tall weeds/grass. Very solid power from full to LVC which I think I have at 3.5V. Luckily, the skatepark didn't have anyone at it as I only had a couple hours to run this weekend and couldn't make it back to the BMX track. After I started getting stupid at the bmx, I was going to try the park, but it was packed, so I went to another place I usually hit in the early spring before stuff grows.

I’ve decided I’m not spending more than I have to on lipos. I see no difference between expensive and cheaper versions, imo it’s all marketing. Plus if one gets damaged or prematurely starts to fail, I don’t have much invested. If I can buy 2 lipos for the price of 1 fancy one, I’m good.

Your HRB5000 6S did quite a bit better than my dual HRB5000 3S packs in my outcast. I'm lucky if I reach 16 minutes with those. That's why I tried the hobbystar 6200mah 3S packs which give me more run time, only about 19 minutes. That's at the grass bmx. The skatepark bashing adds 4-5 minutes for both as it's a lot less WOT running.

My savage flux hp (mmx/2200kv) got 18 minutes at the bmx on the hrb 5000 and almost 30 at the skate park on the Hobbystar 6200's. Guessing I'm able to drive the outcast harder and at higher speeds as it's less likely to traction roll or end up on the roof from wheelies. Even with the center diff trans in the savage flux, it's still pretty wheelie happy even though it unloads to the front diff easier.

I’ve decided I’m not spending more than I have to on lipos. I see no difference between expensive and cheaper versions, imo it’s all marketing. Plus if one gets damaged or prematurely starts to fail, I don’t have much invested. If I can buy 2 lipos for the price of 1 fancy one, I’m good.
Very solid point there.
I cried a little when I had to put an $105 SMC pack out to pasture last week.

So here I am, just over one month of using the new HRB battery. The truck has great run times, but one cell (#4) just doesn't charge fully, and is always lower than the other 5 at the end of the run. The difference is small, but I am returning it to Amazon just the same. They have a no questions asked policy, and my expiry date was July 20. I ordered a new one in the hopes that it was just a anomaly of this pack. I do like the power and run time of this pack, and I'll be paying close attention when making the first balance charge. Gotta use my two 3s gensacearespammers packs while I wait for the new battery to ship.
I've been charging at 1c as per recommendations by everyone here. The average charge time has been around 45 to 50 minutes on a balance setting. The biggest issue with the time, was the fact that one cell never came up to full charge, and the charger was trying hard to get it there. That battery is on it's way back to Amazon and a new one is ordered.

Last edited:
Recently I picked up some Awanfi 1500mah 40c 2s lipos for my LC Racing minis. I only have a few runs with them but Omg, my 2200mah 40c 2s Turnigy batteries don't even compare to these things. With the 3600kv motor I can almost do backflips and the run time is almost the same as the Turnigy. When I hit lvc with these the cells were at 3.43 and 3.44v at rest with the Turnigy batteries I would hit lvc at about 3.6v at rest. I will continue to put them through their paces and see how they hold up over more usage. I haven't checked the IR yet but I will be sure to do it soon.

I just wouldn't trust a battery of that size to a company I know nothing about, or isn't in a hard case at least. A 6s battery goes up BIG when it goes. God forbid you punctured that on a hard landing or crash somehow.

I've been running many different brands of inexpensive 2S lipo's over the past couple of years and I'll say I have had very good luck with Floureon 2S Hard Case batteries. You can pick up 30c 5200mah hard packs on Amazon for right around $27 or $49 for a pair. No swelling yet and many runs in higher temps. You can usually find them with 4mm bullet holes so it's easy to plug in whatever you are running.

I've been running many different brands of inexpensive 2S lipo's over the past couple of years and I'll say I have had very good luck with Floureon 2S Hard Case batteries. You can pick up 30c 5200mah hard packs on Amazon for right around $27 or $49 for a pair. No swelling yet and many runs in higher temps. You can usually find them with 4mm bullet holes so it's easy to plug in whatever you are running.
I have 3 of those Floureon 5200mah hardcase lipos and all of them are duds. Same issues I had with the Zop Power 5000mah 3s 50c lipos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back