What's your opinion on nuclear energy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live 2 miles from Limerick Nuclear power plant. Watch them build it in the ‘80’s. Last I checked it is the most densely populated nuke in the country. Took until now for our property value to finally come back...I yeah, I love nuclear, every city should have one, you can see them from everywhere within a 30mile radius, cover everything with water vapor dust every morning, and always that feeling it’s going to melt down and take everything you hold dear with it. Forgot the iodine capsules, you have to take those, can’t forget the iodine, kiss your ass good bye without those. Yeah, everyone loves nukes especially those that don’t have one and will never have one down the street. I tell visiting friends it’s a trout hatchery...yeh, go nukes instead of no nukes...forgot about the giant casks you need to house the spent fuel rods for a couple thousands years. Make sure the have that on site in your neighborhood too...like they do here..don’t think it can’t happen...
Local criminal does 25 kills Power plant sudden starts to glow white

I like the concept but the problems are always the same... We cant always predict what will happen and things seem to always happen eventually.

There are ideas and methods of how to do nuclear energy correctly, but it always comes down to cost and cutting corners. When disasters happen those cut corners are exposed.

I read a book in college about Rocky Flats nuclear facility just west of Denver. It is crazy how many people live there today and have no idea about it. There was lots of nuclear waste leakage that poisoned the land and lakes there. Lots of people got sick and guess what the solution was when it was all said and done? Cover it up with 10ft of soil and make it into a wildlife refuge with walking trails/public park.

1616092155626.png

Nuclear waste should be disposed of correctly. Countries like the US should learn that. In the US, it's all about money, so you can expect nuclear waste to not be disposed of correctly.

Here, in europe, where we 'care' about nature (look at our brown coal mines and energy plants, we're so clean!), we securely lock it away.

OK, maybe we don't care about nature either, but we do prioritize health/safety over cost.

I like the concept but the problems are always the same... We cant always predict what will happen and things seem to always happen eventually.

There are ideas and methods of how to do nuclear energy correctly, but it always comes down to cost and cutting corners. When disasters happen those cut corners are exposed.

I read a book in college about Rocky Flats nuclear facility just west of Denver. It is crazy how many people live there today and have no idea about it. There was lots of nuclear waste leakage that poisoned the land and lakes there. Lots of people got sick and guess what the solution was when it was all said and done? Cover it up with 10ft of soil and make it into a wildlife refuge with walking trails/public park.

View attachment 133114
Yeah, then all the Wildlife will end up with 3 heads and 7 arms and legs. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah, then all the Wildlife will end up with 3 heads and 7 arms am legs. Unfortunately.
It used to be a country living community where everyone had and rode horses around. Supposedly all the horses died first and people that tried to stay there got cancer.

Costs to clean it up correctly was 37 billion so they cut corners of course....

1616096093925.png

Unfortunately eminent domain to some extent cant be controlled and many small towns and communities end up with Nuke plants. Much of the fallout is from water infiltration run off. No getting around it. Nuke plants need water to operate and cool the rods.:sick:

Unfortunately eminent domain to some extent cant be controlled and many small towns and communities end up with Nuke plants. Much of the fallout is from water infiltration run off. No getting around it. Nuke plants need water to operate and cool the rods.:sick:
Rocky Flats was weapons development but to me its the same difference of mishandled nuclear safety. They had poor storage procedures and also had a fire. It all ended up in the underground water tables and run offs lead to near by ponds the horses would drink from and kids played in.

I am always hyper sensitive to anything like that. I avoided homes that were near high power electric lines due to the EMF waves they output. I'd put my home up for sale pretty quickly if they announced building anything nuclear near our home.

We have Raytheon defense in McKinney TX and they used to blast the neighborhoods across from them with some high power RF.
During 9/11 and some of the other days where terrorism threats were high risk the missile silo trap doors opened up. That was pretty scary to see. All sorts of business have popped up around that site and I doubt any of them know what lies beneath that grassy field or recognize the blast shields/deflectors.

1616097790851.png

Modern nuclear power is nothing like the huge monstrosities of 60’s technology that lead to fear fueled books and movies of the 70’s and 80s. Much of the fear was a result of the 3 mile island accident.... which resulted in zero deaths and no statistically significant increase in cancer rates in the area. Lots of fear but little facts.

Nuclear power is very safe, clean, and green. I look forward to the new generation IV reactors and there should be a few demo units built in the next 5-10 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

And I'm looking forward to when nuclear fusion becomes more economically feasible than nuclear fission

I say we all get our own individual mini reactors per home to reduce electrical distribution. Mr. Fusion is the future
More reactors, more weak points, more chance of failures --> boom. Sadly.
I also voted for a pro-nuclear party. It's the only sustainable way to meet our energy needs.

Europe should also interconnect their electricity nets so decentralized overproduction can be reduced. We'll never become Kardashev type 1 if we continue like we do now.
One scandinavian country sometimes overproduces wind electricity, and sells it to neighboring countries

I would prefer everyone having almost-unlimited capacity battery per consumer on a global energy net where everyone can produce / sell / buy / store as they please. Basically it could even become a currency.

Currently the solar panels on my roof produce enough to sustain my household. I have a net surplus but can't store. So selling at peaks and buy at shorts to the local net is required. Scale that up to a European or even global network and we can all be way more efficient.
Yet, nuclear power or equivalent high power producers will still be required for dense area's and high power demanding industry

Nuclear energy is FAR from green. I live smack dab in middle of 2(less than 10 kms from both).
What people don't think about is the waste and by-product left over from the process of creating nuclear energy.
For now, let's forget about nuclear waste. Pretend we just blast it off into deep space or something.
Nuclear power plants need to be situated by large bodies of water for cooling purposes. Cold water in, hot water out. Any idea what that does to the eco system? Lake Ontario is almost dead, fish patterns have drastically changed. And there is always the fear of that ONE person or group causing a Chernobyl level event.
GREEN? Psssh, not even close. Hydro electric, wind, solar, and tidal sourced power is "greener" by far.

Nuclear energy is FAR from green. I live smack dab in middle of 2(less than 10 kms from both).
What people don't think about is the waste and by-product left over from the process of creating nuclear energy.
For now, let's forget about nuclear waste. Pretend we just blast it off into deep space or something.
Nuclear power plants need to be situated by large bodies of water for cooling purposes. Cold water in, hot water out. Any idea what that does to the eco system? Lake Ontario is almost dead, fish patterns have drastically changed. And there is always the fear of that ONE person or group causing a Chernobyl level event.
GREEN? Psssh, not even close. Hydro electric, wind, solar, and tidal sourced power is "greener" by far.
Yep we have a place nearby in Lake Erie called Warm Water Bay. It’s like a hot tub. If you wanna see something scary, check out this map of Great Lakes temps. Now you can see why Toledo had a water crisis a few years ago.

1616902512234.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back