Typhon Wheel bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Dunn

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve had my 6s about a month and driven it hard a half dozen times.
80% on dirt or grass. Rest on pavement.
Just did the Kraton truggy mod this morning and was really surprised how trashed the rear bearings were.
I have admittedly used a garden hose to gently hose off the tires and suspension but then take my air hose at about 100 psi’s and blow it off.
I thought it was making more noise in the rear than it should but I’m still getting accustomed to the sounds etc.
Anyway new bearings came with the Kraton hubs so I’m good for now. Anyone have recommendations for better bearings?
Obviously I guess I should stop with the hose but I thought the 6s had improved the bearings.
I guess not enough for my actions!
Thanks!

What's the Kraton truggy mod?
Search YouTube for Trugaphying your Typhon. I can post the link later if you don’t find it. There are some threads on here as well. Basically taking Kraton wheel hubs and a couple other parts allowing bigger tires and a little wider stance. Just put it Together this morning so haven’t had a chance to try it out yet. Like the looks though!

image.jpg

I noticed the same thing on mine. Not many runs but a couple rear bearings were starting to seize up. I took them apart, cleaned them, and oiled them. But still surprised at how fast they went.

100 psi is way too much pressure for blowing off your rig after a spritz. 35 psi does the job just as well, without violating your bearing seals. You can give it a try, find out if I'm full of sh|t- what have you got to lose- or you can keep buying bearings every half dozen runs, as you say!

100 psi is way too much pressure for blowing off your rig after a spritz. 35 psi does the job just as well, without violating your bearing seals. You can give it a try, find out if I'm full of sh|t- what have you got to lose- or you can keep buying bearings every half dozen runs, as you say!
I don’t think you’re full of poop.
I think you make a valid point.
Thanks

Sorry, I get defensive about air pressure because I have to explain to closed-minded industrial shop managers that OSHA requires air pressure to be reduced so that it doesn't turn debris into eye-seeking projectiles. They balk at it, until they get threatened with reprimand, then after they try it the find that 30 psi is just as effective. In this case, I'm worried about your bearings. You can watch after your own eyes! ;)

Is it a v5 or older? i know the crap v4 bearings are one of the first things a lot of people change out. I thought i saw the v5's come with rubber sealed ones.

Hi, i had that issue with the rear bearings.
I figured out why and solved it, check this thread:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/bearings-mayhem.5415/

And about bearing maintenance: i pack 'm full with grease. Some people here will say the seals can pop off but i never had issues with that.
The grease creates and outer seal on the bearing, which will attract dirt. Just leave it there, it's protection. Like this:

20200419_222906.jpg

My bearings last longer when i just leave them this way.

I’ve had my 6s about a month and driven it hard a half dozen times.
80% on dirt or grass. Rest on pavement.
Just did the Kraton truggy mod this morning and was really surprised how trashed the rear bearings were.
I have admittedly used a garden hose to gently hose off the tires and suspension but then take my air hose at about 100 psi’s and blow it off.
I thought it was making more noise in the rear than it should but I’m still getting accustomed to the sounds etc.
Anyway new bearings came with the Kraton hubs so I’m good for now. Anyone have recommendations for better bearings?
Obviously I guess I should stop with the hose but I thought the 6s had improved the bearings.
I guess not enough for my actions!
Thanks!
I was recommended FastEddy bearings by WoodiE and have no complaints. High quality and fairly cheap.

My first and so far only arrma is a v5 typhon. He bearings are very good quality brand name items. Using air to blow them is asking for trouble as you’ve pushed dirt through the seal and into the raceway. Soak dirty bearings in naptha and start pulling seals with an exact knife. Re pack and install seals :) don’t use air pressure. I run in mud so I garden Jose off any offending material and spray with wd40 silicone. Wipe dry and clean then use a gun oil to relube dry steel/motion components. Bearings in my typhon have been very good, provided proper care and prevention maintenance is done correctly :)

My first and so far only arrma is a v5 typhon. He bearings are very good quality brand name items. Using air to blow them is asking for trouble as you’ve pushed dirt through the seal and into the raceway. Soak dirty bearings in naptha and start pulling seals with an exact knife. Re pack and install seals :) don’t use air pressure. I run in mud so I garden Jose off any offending material and spray with wd40 silicone. Wipe dry and clean then use a gun oil to relube dry steel/motion components. Bearings in my typhon have been very good, provided proper care and prevention maintenance is done correctly :)
Yeah the v5's have rubber sealed bearings now. The v4 and earlier came with the sealed ones with metal seals. Not sure if the steering racks on the v5's have bearings or the same parts as the v4's. maybe they finally put bearings in there from the factory too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back