Wheel hub issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my brand new Nero, and just after taking a look at the build I was pretty damn impressed. It's the first new car I've bought in years, so as soon as I heard a loud clicking/grinding noise from the drivetrain I assumed it was a bad gear mesh. Long story short I pulled the thing apart to find nothing wrong with it, but I was a bit dismayed looking at the aluminum wheel hubs and nuts. Would have greatly preferred steel on such a high-impact part of the drivetain.

I made the mistake of not applying loctite when I put the wheels back on, and sure enough one of the nuts backed off... I assumed it was just the nut coming loose, but when I tried to wrench the wheel back on tight once I got home, I found the wheel hex thread was completely stripped. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I've been looking for steel hexes but coming up dry... wanted to get some of the billet aluminum hot racing replacements, but those don't seem to be in stock anywhere. Do these aluminum screws strip easily, or am I just an idiot? Is there any steel part out there for a different truck that might work?

Thanks for reading!

Hey guys, just got my brand new Nero, and just after taking a look at the build I was pretty damn impressed. It's the first new car I've bought in years, so as soon as I heard a loud clicking/grinding noise from the drivetrain I assumed it was a bad gear mesh. Long story short I pulled the thing apart to find nothing wrong with it, but I was a bit dismayed looking at the aluminum wheel hubs and nuts. Would have greatly preferred steel on such a high-impact part of the drivetain.

I made the mistake of not applying loctite when I put the wheels back on, and sure enough one of the nuts backed off... I assumed it was just the nut coming loose, but when I tried to wrench the wheel back on tight once I got home, I found the wheel hex thread was completely stripped. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I've been looking for steel hexes but coming up dry... wanted to get some of the billet aluminum hot racing replacements, but those don't seem to be in stock anywhere. Do these aluminum screws strip easily, or am I just an idiot? Is there any steel part out there for a different truck that might work?

Thanks for reading!

We had the same. The material is slightly soft and it is easy to damage the thread with the nut.
After changing the hub we put a little lactate onto the nut.
I am looking for some wheel hubs in 24mm (for 1:5 Rims) and also in 17mm which made from an more stable aluminium.
But I fear the 24mm I had to make by myself,

I am not sure but I remember that some guys using other hubs than Arrma but I could not remember where I had read that threat and from which brand the hubs was.

Sorry for my bad english, I do not often use these language but since I am here in this forum, it goes better and better.
English is not my main language; I just learned in school 40 years ago....

Several different types .. some also with closed cap nuts to keep dirt off threads...but the Losi 8ight 17mm hubs are high quality . Perfect fit but you need a thin 8mm ID nylon washer to shim works well

Extended also

The od of the arrma driveshaft is 8mm... any 8mm id 17mm hub will work.. just may need a small shim to take up slack ...

Attachments

• IMG_1963.PNG
    IMG_1963.PNG
    667.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1964.PNG
    IMG_1964.PNG
    417.5 KB · Views: 60
A shim is never a big problem. The left one are looking good.
Maybe I should have a look when I visit my dealer next time. In the Moment not so important but interesting for Bear.
I wonder also, all other hubs from our 4 Neros are OK, we had it just with one hub till yet.
My Problem is more an 24mm hex hub, but maybe I have to build such by myself... :(

(biggest problem are less time to do that!)

Thanks for the responses! Good to know I'm not the only person who's run into this issue. I'm going to try and pick up a set of those losi hubs, be diligent with the loctite and hopefully I won't have the same problem. Anyone have a part number for shims that fit that 8mm output shaft?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back