Typhon Wheel hub shim advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Need some advice on how to shim my Typhon 3S BLX wheel hubs. Passenger side is loose probably 1mm or 2mm. Driver side is about half that. Rears are both pretty tight.

Need some advice on how to shim my Typhon 3S BLX wheel hubs. Passenger side is loose probably 1mm or 2mm. Driver side is about half that. Rears are both pretty tight.

You can shim that on both sides i guess..
But.. If it were me.. Ill take the inside.. Just so that the driveshaft distance stays the smallest.. I wouldnt put it all the way snug though.. That might cause restistance.. For size? I don't know.. Bearring size +1mm for outer dia???

So I went to the LHS and they said “nobody ever asks for shims so we don’t stock them”.

Came home and ordered these instead:

Amazon link

I plan on putting this in the wheel hub before the bearing, which will push the bearing 0.5mm towards the inner of the truck. This should take the slop out. I may need to stack a couple to get it tight.

So I went to the LHS and they said “nobody ever asks for shims so we don’t stock them”.

Came home and ordered these instead:

View attachment 42186

Amazon link

I plan on putting this in the wheel hub before the bearing, which will push the bearing 0.5mm towards the inner of the truck. This should take the slop out. I may need to stack a couple to get it tight.
You don't want it to be tight, you want to keep a slight amount of slop in there otherwise the wheels won't spin freely and you can overheat your electronics.

You don't want it to be tight, you want to keep a slight amount of slop in there otherwise the wheels won't spin freely and you can overheat your electronics.
Did you see that video? Was that not too sloppy? The other side is probably the way it’s supposed to be then.

Did you see that video? Was that not too sloppy? The other side is probably the way it’s supposed to be then.
Just warning you to make sure you don't get them too tight when you shim them.

I agree. You will also overheat and destroy the bearings and hub carrier if not shimmed with just enough radial endplay. Binding wheel hubs can get super hot. An area that is rarely monitored for temps. Proceed at your own risk. I noticed that inherent slop at the hubs, but it poses no real problem at all. It is fine. 1mm give or take "slop" is fine with any RC rig.
My Tekno MT for reference which is a great example of racing precision (my opinion) allows for the same amount of endplay. Tekno racers are not shimming this at the track last I heard. I concentrate on shimming my diffs. instead.

Last edited:
Just warning you to make sure you don't get them too tight when you shim them.
I agree. You will also overheat and destroy the bearings and hub carrier if not shimmed with just enough radial endplay. Binding wheel hubs can get super hot. An area that is rarely monitored for temps. Proceed at your own risk. I noticed that inherent slop at the hubs, but it poses no real problem at all. It is fine. 1mm give or take "slop" is fine with any RC rig.
My Tekno MT for reference which is a great example of racing precision (my opinion) allows for the same amount of endplay. Tekno racers are not shimming this at the track last I heard. I concentrate on shimming my diffs. instead.
Great info guys. I appreciate all input. I will try one shim and make sure there is still some play. The amount on that wheel is just more than the other side. I’m trying to shore up for speed running and just feel better getting it more dialed in. Trying to avoid these light posts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back