Infraction Wheel Slop. Good or Bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I have a question on wheel slop in reference to the Infraction or Limitless when it comes to on-road cars.

I have an Infraction and a good subscriber here has given me some great suggestions on how to remove wheel slop from the Infraction tires. Basically, I added diff shims behind the outer bearing on the knuckle... 2x shims added, great quality shielded bearing, 17mm hub hex done to each side. Sure enough it has taken the wiggle/slop out and tried to leave a "tick" of movement as best I could.

Local hubby guy, I told him what I was doing to the Infraction when he asked. He did NOT like the idea saying the Infraction is a basher and when you remove that play I will invite other areas to break since that tension has to travel someplace else. So his idea is that the slop is needed so it can take the bashing to reduce breakage. I did explain to him I am not bashing with my Infraction....mall parking lot on the newer asphalt for smoothness for my speed runs down/up with long wide drifts in the turns, wide figure eights, etc. I don't plan to change the pinion, motor or things like that for more speed...I'm cool on its speed.

So I am a bit confused as a newbie trying to learn, ask questions, and make the right tunes to the rig. I have two different point of views from vet people. So is wheel slop good or bad in the relationship I laid out when it comes to these RTR rigs like the Infraction?

Your thoughts?

If it helps any, I do have the HR Racing Black/Aluminum hub blocks all around.

He's wrong.

Thx for the feedback. The other person here was educating me on their experience that RTRs come with some slop or issues due how they are produced. He came from kit cars so when building them you could tune out some of these issues found in RTRs...like wheel slop.

Makes no sense to me. Flexible parts in a basher to relieve stress, OK, makes sense. But the slop doesn't really "cushion" anything.

Especially in an Infraction which is not a basher in the usual sense of the word. You can only benefit by making everything as tight as possible (but not any tighter :D).

So with slop removed is there a noticeable improvement in the driving experience? Haven't worried about it with my offroad bashers, but with the Infraction I'm wondering if it's worth the effort.
I think she drives pretty solid as is. Also thinking that under load the slop is nullified as the wheels push out. Otherwise there'd be a noticeable wobble when driving. ?

So with slop removed is there a noticeable improvement in the driving experience? Haven't worried about it with my offroad bashers, but with the Infraction I'm wondering if it's worth the effort.
I think she drives pretty solid as is. Also thinking that under load the slop is nullified as the wheels push out. Otherwise there'd be a noticeable wobble when driving. ?

I have not gotten a chance to drive it yet to test...from the person talking to me it helps tires a lot if you have the alignment right first on the wear, for speed drivetrain is not sloppy. For me, I was lead this way when I was trying to align my tires and they had so much back and forth movement I could not dial in the camber good. I also watched a YT video a guy had the gopo on the tires and had wobble all over the place...sure normal but did not know they did that much movement.

In the end, will it make a big deal maybe not but once I hear something it's hard for me to let go like a pitbull :)

Here is my anecdote about minimal slop:

I have put lots of effort into eliminating slop in my speed run limitless.

Saturday a rock kicked up and broke my on/off switch on my Castle mmx8s, which shut my car off at 117mph. In the over 1/4 mile it took the car to coast to a stop, with not steering or brakes, it went from the center of the left lane to about 2 feet into the right lane.

Remove as much slop as you can but be careful to not cause anything to bind or restrict its motion. I have done this inadvertently on A arms, turnbuckles, things like that

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back