Big Rock wheel/tires slop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
just installed new badlands 2.8 on my big rock and new rpm arms. used hot racing 17mm hex adapters for the wheels. loving them but now the wheels/tires especially in front seem loose even after tightening. seems to run fine but wheels are loose. ideas?

How are your tie rods? Every arrma truck I have I've had to replace tie rods.

Last edited:
I got my truck less than a month ago and it's completely stock, are the pivot balls/plastic ends considered warranty in that short amount of time?

just installed new badlands 2.8 on my big rock and new rpm arms. used hot racing 17mm hex adapters for the wheels. loving them but now the wheels/tires especially in front seem loose even after tightening. seems to run fine but wheels are loose. ideas?
As others have said, replace the pivot balls. But there will always be some slop. As long as it runs ok, don't go chasing perfection because the trucks a basher not a racer. You'll go down a rabbit hole of upgrades for little noticeable difference.

Last edited:
The plastic pivot ball acts like sand paper on the inside of the tie rod end. I really wish arrma would just use metal pivot balls. I've found that tie rods like these work great and stay tight even with tons of bashing:

1616500432760.png

Unfortunately they only fit the shorter arms. For anything with longer arms you'll need to just replace the rod ends and replace the plastic pivot balls with metal like the hotracing ones mentioned above.

Those seem to be sold out or expensive every where. I am curious what everyone else is doing for their tie rods. It's a big enough issue that if you don't replace them they just break and fall off.

Anyone else find a good solution?

The plastic pivot ball acts like sand paper on the inside of the tie rod end. I really wish arrma would just use metal pivot balls. I've found that tie rods like these work great and stay tight even with tons of bashing:

View attachment 134215

Unfortunately they only fit the shorter arms. For anything with longer arms you'll need to just replace the rod ends and replace the plastic pivot balls with metal like the hotracing ones mentioned above.

Those seem to be sold out or expensive every where. I am curious what everyone else is doing for their tie rods. It's a big enough issue that if you don't replace them they just break and fall off.

Anyone else find a good solution?
I've not tried them so can't vouch for whether they work, but these traxxas parts were recommended on another forum.

Screenshot_20210323-120813__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-120818__01.jpg

Associated rc8b3.1 /81398 turnbuckle shoulder ball ,are steel pivot balls that fit into the arrma rod ends ,they take a lot of the slop out. Just expensive but they have lasted me 12 months.

Check all the connections, driveshafts to axles, wheels on the hexes, Hot Racing extensions on the axles. In the end, the 3s line has slop no matter what you do. I've done all the recommended upgrades, there's still slop, but my Granite tracks straight so I don't worry about it.

Rubber o rings take out the slop

1623443599571662564821862981196.jpg

16234436531186248115225572262984.jpg

Granite posts,giving it a lift

Attachments

• 16234446933694767999372664448639.jpg
    16234446933694767999372664448639.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
That actually seems like a cheap and really nice fix....I'll try to source some rubber o rings like that ... thank you Sir for sharing!!

@Goldy Do you put an o-ring on just one side, or both?

I'm not so sure that would cure the loose "slop" issue. It would prevent the turnbuckle from pivoting around the ball, but not affect the gap between the opening and the pivot ball, It may prevent the turnbuckle from freely moving the way it's intended.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back