Big Rock Wheels not turning and motor is whining

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you run water?Has the ESC gotten wet before??? Just takes that one time.
Just a possibility that the ESC is bricked from corrosion. It doesn't happen right away. Corrosion can be a slow killer. ESC will brick out of nowhere. Sometimes its just a bad ESC . Poor QC.
But from my experience No ESC's are not truly WP as they say. HH will warranty the rig's ESC for 2 years free of charge FWIW. With a reciept.
Just some food for thought.

Did this and they’re centered.

No water or puddles. My Kraton and his BR collided. But the only item we saw broke was the shock.

The aluminum motor mounting plate may have been tweeked/bent slightly ,causing binding between the motor's pinion gear and the Spur... You need to remove the Power Module AND then remove the motor OFF the mounting plate and completely remove the mounting plate and place it on a flat surface to check to see if it's warped in any way...

(Yes, it's a hassle, but you'll need to do it) to check it for flatness.

Did this and they’re centered.

No water or puddles. My Kraton and his BR collided. But the only item we saw broke was the shock.
Ahhh. This was important information. Something definitely could have gotten bound up that's preventing the entire drivetrain from moving. If you have a slipper, a bind on your front OR rear diff will bind the entire system up. If you have a center differential, only the side with an issue would be stuck. But, you have a slipper which acts as a barrier or "buffer" between your diffs and your motor, to protect the diffs when you slam the throttle or land off a jump with throttle.

SO what you want to do is take out the center driveshaft and see if you can spin the front wheels freely. Spin one wheel and (if the center driveshaft is disconnected), the other wheel will spin in the same direction (if the shaft is on, it'll hold the diff input in place and thus, the other wheel will spin in the other direction). Try that and see if you can isolate the issue to the front of the car. Since you mentioned a collision that's the first thing I have in mind.

Really, you should be first doing the push test. On the ground, fully assembled. Does it roll a ways before stopping? Does it roll at all? If it doesn't then you need to start disconnecting stuff to isolate if there is other binding and doing more push tests--remove power module (as explained above) and give it a push, roll front wheels with rear off the ground, then vice versa. Then spin the motor by hand and with the controller. Everything should spin freely.

Though ultimately, something still doesn't add up that the truck took off on it's own. That's where my red flag went up. Unfortunately, after a crash like that, there are usually lots of latent issues that pop up only after more use of the truck, particularly for the electronics. It's hard to spot a "potential" problem unless you really dig deep and go over things with a fine tooth comb and diagnosing.

If everything passes the push test, then I'd start looking into electronic issues.

Some pictures and videos might very much help this thread. Lots of good info but everyone is shooting Rambo style here
1668457854312.gif

Some pictures and videos might very much help this thread. Lots of good info but everyone is shooting Rambo style here
View attachment 256284
Great point. I meant to suggest a video earlier - sometimes even a sound or seeing something stutter (like wheels not spinning, I mean) can be some quick insight into what's going on here.

What does the shock have to do with the driveline????:unsure:
Did I miss something?
A bent motor mount may have damaged the Pinion gear? Poor mesh now.
First remove the Power Module and a have look see. Needs to be frequently cleaned out anyway. Dirt builds up in there. Ruins the motor, pinion/spur, BB's and slipper assy.
But a motor that accelerates on its own is another issue altogether.
It is not clear what you are describing there. :unsure:
A video would help us to better help you

The aluminum motor mounting plate may have been tweeked/bent slightly ,causing binding between the motor's pinion gear and the Spur... You need to remove the Power Module AND then remove the motor OFF the mounting plate and completely remove the mounting plate and place it on a flat surface to check to see if it's warped in any way...

(Yes, it's a hassle, but you'll need to do it) to check it for flatness.
When you say “remove the Power Module AND then remove the motor OFF the mounting plate”… remove the gears and plate from the actual motor?

I took video but I can’t upload a 15 sec clip??

Last edited:
When you say “remove the Power Module AND then remove the motor OFF the mounting plate”… remove the gears and plate from the actual motor?

I took video but I can’t upload a 15 sec clip??

View attachment 256341

Okay.
So you'll want to open up the Power Module (it's in two halves.)
Once that's done, you'll see the Spur gear and Pinion inside... Along with the two screws that hold the motor onto the RED motor plate.
You want to get that RED plate off so you can place it flat on a piece of glass to see if that plate is warped.

BUT BEFORE YOU DO ALL THAT..

From looking at this photo, the plate looks to be in good shape.
So I'm not sure if that's the cause.

Okay.
So you'll want to open up the Power Module (it's in two halves.)
Once that's done, you'll see the Spur gear and Pinion inside... Along with the two screws that hold the motor onto the RED motor plate.
You want to get that RED plate off so you can place it flat on a piece of glass to see if that plate is warped.

BUT BEFORE YOU DO ALL THAT..

From looking at this photo, the plate looks to be in good shape.
So I'm not sure if that's the cause.
Agree with Tex - but in the future you can upload it to YouTube or something. You can upload straight from the app on your phone.

I also did the wheel spin with and without the driveshaft (what I videoed) and the wheels spin in same direction without driveshaft and opposite with driveshaft.

Once I get my hands on some 45wt shock oil, I’ll try the push/roll test and see how it goes. I’m wondering if the collision caused diff damage, especially in the front. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Update: just purchased some 55wt shock oil. Per hobby town’s recommendation, 55wt would work well and handle better. 🤷🏽‍♂️ I plan to get the BR back together sometime this weekend and continue with tests you all have so kindly suggested. In the mean time, I disassembled the power module and looked at the gears and motor mount. They seem to be in great shape. What you all think?

Last edited:
stock# = ARA311032

The whole unit that the motor is mounted to is called the Power Module.

Not trying to start a debate, but that's not a Power Module... That's a transfer case. In all 4WD is always at the back of the gearbox and allows the secondary output shaft to be connected to both front and back tailshaft... Most of the time it also includes the reduction for Hi/Lo gears...

A Power Module is a circuit board, with integrated electronic components, to create a Module...

Just google Transfer Case then Power Module to see the difference...

Not trying to start a debate, but that's not a Power Module... That's a transfer case. In all 4WD is always at the back of the gearbox and allows the secondary output shaft to be connected to both front and back tailshaft... Most of the time it also includes the reduction for Hi/Lo gears...

A Power Module is a circuit board, with integrated electronic components, to create a Module...

For anything other than an Arrma, yes you're probably correct. However the motor mount and case, together with the gears, are very commonly referred to as the power module.
Update: just purchased some 55wt shock oil. Per hobby town’s recommendation, 55wt would work well and handle better. 🤷🏽‍♂️ I plan to get the BR back together sometime this weekend and continue with tests you all have so kindly suggested. In the mean time, I disassembled the power module and looked at the gears and motor mount. They seem to be in great shape. What you all think?

View attachment 256727

View attachment 256728

View attachment 256729

View attachment 256730

View attachment 256731
Everything looks to be in order. The push test, when you're able to get to it, will likely be revelatory. I'm suspecting an electronics issue even more so now.

Everything looks to be in order. The push test, when you're able to get to it, will likely be revelatory. I'm suspecting an electronics issue even more so now.

You mean the Power Module... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, but in 50 years in RC I never heard that before... Not sure what you mean by "other than an Arrma" Could you show me or post the links of which Arrma manual actually calls that parts Power Module... I would love to see it with my own eyes...

You mean the Power Module... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, but in 50 years in RC I never heard that before... Not sure what you mean by "other than an Arrma" Could you show me or post the links of which Arrma manual actually calls that parts Power Module... I would love to see it with my own eyes...
Try researching and not depending on someone else to do it for you 🙄

It might not be called a Power Module by Arrma, but what matters is that the term "Power Module" is common usage in the Arrma community, Look up "Power Module" on YouTube and you'll see many videos about the "Power Module". Nowhere is the Arrma unit ever called a transfer case, either by Arrma or by the Arrma community.

I did! So far nothing... Thanks for your concern... :rolleyes:
Trust me, I’m not concerned. It just gets irritating when people can’t figure stuff out even the most basic things for themselves.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back