When did you start speed running?

When did you start/decide to start speed running?

• 2-3 years (2020)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-4 years (2019)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes new isn't the right wording, maybe gotten popular, or maybe a bit more main stream.
I think another contributing factor has been the advances in terms of ESC and battery performance and its availability to pretty much anyone willing to shell out the money for it. Compare what it took for Nic Case to hit 202mph in 2014 to what it takes today. For Nic it required a custom one off construction with a special ESC from Castle, with some custom made lipos, wind tunnel testing, etc., etc. To beat it James McCoy needed an Arrma Infraction/Limitless, some motors/ESCs/batteries that are available to anyone and some time and practice until he had the right combination of components to go 2mph faster than Nic Case did. And if you look at the sponsoring Nic had behind him...

Nic Case‘s Sponsors:

• Castle Creations
  • Neu Motors
  • BSR tires
  • Dinogy Batteries
  • RW Racing Gears
  • Futaba
  • CD Adapco
  • RC4WD
  • Ford
  • Protoform
It has definitely become more accessible for Joey Bag-O-Donuts.

Always? I would say for me. Back in 2000s when novak was still around would try pushing a tt01 to the limits. I’ve always been a speed freak. My kraton was meant for bashing and ended up running 70+ nothing compared to my limitless’s. But it definitely is the adrenaline rush

Always? I would say for me. Back in 2000s when novak was still around would try pushing a tt01 to the limits. I’ve always been a speed freak. My kraton was meant for bashing and ended up running 70+ nothing compared to my limitless’s. But it definitely is the adrenaline rush
Fo shizzle.

I think another contributing factor has been the advances in terms of ESC and battery performance and its availability to pretty much anyone willing to shell out the money for it. Compare what it took for Nic Case to hit 202mph in 2014 to what it takes today. For Nic it required a custom one off construction with a special ESC from Castle, with some custom made lipos, wind tunnel testing, etc., etc. To beat it James McCoy needed an Arrma Infraction/Limitless, some motors/ESCs/batteries that are available to anyone and some time and practice until he had the right combination of components to go 2mph faster than Nic Case did. And if you look at the sponsoring Nic had behind him...

Nic Case‘s Sponsors:

• Castle Creations
  • Neu Motors
  • BSR tires
  • Dinogy Batteries
  • RW Racing Gears
  • Futaba
  • CD Adapco
  • RC4WD
  • Ford
  • Protoform
It has definitely become more accessible for Joey Bag-O-Donuts.
Totally on point with this one. The new "bolt ons" are 100 times better than 10 years ago. Like any sport/hobby the equipment evolves as the equipment evolves.

I have seen this hobby (speed running) really grow in the last few years. I have been doing it prob 20 yrs off and on. I remember building NiMH packs and running 8 cells in a rustler running 70mph was fast. The good old days.

I think I got a taste of it for the first time last week…

It doesn’t really qualify as speed running (and no snickering from you pure speed guys), but I had my Outcast 6s EXB out in a huge field of low grass and was able to pin it for a couple hundred yards at a time. Wow, how thrilling to see that thing run like that, especially when it was headed towards me! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, hope I haven’t caught the speed bug, but it was a nice diversion from bashing.

It doesn’t really qualify as speed running (and no snickering from you pure speed guys), but I had my Outcast 6s EXB out in a huge field of low grass and was able to pin it for a couple hundred yards at a time. Wow, how thrilling to see that thing run like that, especially when it was headed towards me! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, hope I haven’t caught the speed bug, but it was a nice diversion from bashing.
Nope, no snickering good sir. We have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

No need to hope. You have. :)

Going fast off road is much harder than doing it on the road. They dynamic loading the drive train is enormous and the tires don't stay on the rim. Not to mention that every little bump and crevice sends you flying in a new direction.

Hurling a 15 lb car at any speed on road or off is sure to wake you up!

A trip down to memory lane digging through my picture archives....

It was 2017 when accurate speedmeasuring started to matter to me:
1671482139014.png

I came back to RC at 2015. Bashing and SCT mostly. Summer 2016 i bought my first boat what kickstarted my obsession with speed again. Tuning my Honda MT5 (moped) as a teenager had the same goal. RC's seemed safer than regular cars and motors...

The XO-1 triggered me to go onroad speedrunning. Stubburnly thinking i could make something that can do 100mph, without buying one. Which i did. Then Arrma came the limitless roller (and AF collective knowledge) which made things so much easier...

Some pre-arrma material:

1671482970969.png

1671482531024.png

1671483041570.png

1671483129964.png

1671483212901.png

1671483342397.png

Back