When removing one lipo cell does the C rating changes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
I keep remembering when i got my 3s lipo 7000mah 40c an one cell was defective i converted it to a 2s but does the C rating is modified?
I had a 2 6000mah 60c hrb lipo and when i tested both of them the hrb one felt faster and more torquy. The car was making differant sounds while using both baterries. And now i have the same brand lipo that i had to remove a cell on my kraton 4s. Its a 4000mah 40c lipo. Did not have any issues with them but maybe im not getting full power that the car can deliver? Temps are all fine. I just saw an hrb 5000mah 50c for 42$ on amazon and it left me thinking about all of this
Also my 3s lipo(same brand) remplacement cuts out at 3.8v on my kraton 4s while the 4s lipos cuts out at 3.55v per cells. So maybe only their 3s lipos suck and not the 4s ones. A lot more sag on the 3s lipo

Last edited:
The C rating does not change in itself but obviously the voltage and therefore top speed will.

Voltage determines your max theoretical rpm
C rating is just a figure to help you determine roughly how many amps your lipo can safely discharge.

Ie; a 4Ah (4000mAh) 40C lipo. 4×40= 160A

Actual amp draw from your vehicle will vary depending on the load. (Gearing, kV, weight etc)

See

https://www.kritikalmass.net/battery-calculator/

Imo, no, the C rating shouldn't be modified. For doing a lipo battery all the cells must be balanced with each other.

And now i have the same brand lipo that i had to remove a cell on my kraton 4s. Its a 4000mah 40c lipo. Did not have any issues with them but maybe im not getting full power that the car can deliver? Temps are all fine.

More the C rating is high more the battery will be able to give what ask the motor, this result with more punch and a little bit more top speed. The punch is something we can observe without need to measure it with a tool, more than the top speed. Between a 50C and a 100C you will be able to see a difference.

But, there is one thing to don't forget : more a battery is cheap, or from an off-brand, less the C rating is trustable. Many cheap brands over rate the C value. The HRB 5000mah 50c i have should be able to deliver 250A, but they are the batteries which heat more compared to other in the same car. With 250A, they shouldn't get that hot.

Imo, no, the C rating shouldn't be modified. For doing a lipo battery all the cells must be balanced with each other.

More the C rating is high more the battery will be able to give what ask the motor, this result with more punch and a little bit more top speed. The punch is something we can observe without need to measure it with a tool, more than the top speed. Between a 50C and a 100C you will be able to see a difference.

But, there is one thing to don't forget : more a battery is cheap, or from an off-brand, less the C rating is trustable. Many cheap brands over rate the C value. The HRB 5000mah 50c i have should be able to deliver 250A, but they are the batteries which heat more compared to other in the same car. With 250A, they shouldn't get that hot.
Yeah i understand the C rating being overcook by the manufacturers

Yeah i understand the C rating being overcook by the manufacturers

Yes, the manufacturers or the guy who want what will be printed on the paper which wrap the cells. In china, you can ask to lot of chinese manufacturers to put what you want on their products. All the batteries are made in china. The main difference with brands who are known to be better is the quality control. Basicaly, in china, all the low end quality products have almost no quality control, or not at the level of better brands.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back