Granite When to retire RC truck...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D0F1X3Rr

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Outcast 4s
When do you guys retire your RC's and move on to the next? I watch a bunch of YT channels and these guys seem to always have the newest RC's that come out. It must be nice to have a plethora of RC's to bash and choose from. But for a "budget" hobbyist, I can't keep up and buy the latest and greatest thing that gets released.

How much mileage do you guys get out of your RC? I've been having a blast bashing my upgrade Granite Mega 4x4. I've essentially turned it into the BLX version. I'm at the point where it would have been cheaper to just buy the BLX version at the start. But then again, that truck was my first hobby-grade RTR which I learned ALOT by upgrading and installing my own parts. I also own a BRCC. I've been contemplating on picking up the Outcast 4S as a next step up. Mainly because it uses the same platform and I can re-use/inter-swap some of the parts I currently own.

Attachments

• brcc_bash.jpg
    brcc_bash.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 90
  • granite_bash.jpg
    granite_bash.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
When do you guys retire your RC's and move on to the next? I watch a bunch of YT channels and these guys seem to always have the newest RC's that come out. It must be nice to have a plethora of RC's to bash and choose from. But for a "budget" hobbyist, I can't keep up and buy the latest and greatest thing that gets released.

How much mileage do you guys get out of your RC? I've been having a blast bashing my upgrade Granite Mega 4x4. I've essentially turned it into the BLX version. (Probably even slightly better). I'm at the point where it would have been cheaper to just buy the BLX version at the start. But then again, that truck was my first hobby-grade RTR which I learned ALOT by upgrading and installing my own parts. I also own a BRCC. Been contemplating on picking up the Outcast 4S as a next step up. Mainly because it uses the same platform and I can re-use/inter-swap some of the parts I currently own.
My first was a Granite Mega, before the BLX was launched. Bought the BLX when it came out. Upgraded the Mega to a Typhon 3S. Upgraded the G3S to a Kraton 4S (dumb move, costs too much). Ended up with enough spares to build a Granite 3S (on 4S) back up again. Also own a Typhon 6S. My next will probably be a K6S or whatever they come out with next that’s cooler. The K8S is just too large for where I can run, even tho it’s badass, it won’t be something I buy any time soon. The Mojave looks great, but I don’t think it’s my cup of tea. I prefer truggies and buggies.

I'm ADD so I can't just bash one or two trucks. I need to mix it up. But if you enjoy the trucks you have, just keep on running them. A 4s truck isn't a bad idea and I would get the Outcast 4S if you like your Granite more than your BRCC and the Kraton 4S if the opposite is true.

I'm curious along the same line. I just got into RC and I've just upgraded my granite mega to blx level and even though I got the granite used I've spent more now than a new blx would have cost but I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have a red cat volcano that is my son's. Wondering if I should just set it aside and buy him a blx instead of upgrading the volcano any more

I watch a bunch of YT channels and these guys seem to always have the newest RC's that come out.

The larger (monetized) YouTube channels can afford to have the latest and greatest RCs, because the YT revenue, at least partially pays for the trucks. The latest vehicle releases generate more views, and thus, more revenue.

Unless driving your RC generates revenue for you, your decision making process will likely look different.

For me, if driving the RC makes me happy, I keep it. If I don't want to spend money to fix / maintain it anymore, or I don't enjoy driving it that much anymore, I think about re-homing it.

I'm curious along the same line. I just got into RC and I've just upgraded my granite mega to blx level and even though I got the granite used I've spent more now than a new blx would have cost but I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have a red cat volcano that is my son's. Wondering if I should just set it aside and buy him a blx instead of upgrading the volcano any more
Absolutely

For me I think that when parts availability and support becomes a hassle then it's time to move on and sell, trade, or shelf it. I'm just glad that the current Arrmas trucks have so much cross compatibility that I won't have to worry about this for a long time.

I always wonder what the guys who have discontinued Arrmas feel about their cars now and if they still drive them as much or not. Guys with the Nero, fazon, raider, fury, and some of the original 2wd blx trucks. ?

I'm ADD so I can't just bash one or two trucks. I need to mix it up. But if you enjoy the trucks you have, just keep on running them. A 4s truck isn't a bad idea and I would get the Outcast 4S if you like your Granite more than your BRCC and the Kraton 4S if the opposite is true.
Nice! Ya, I've actually been enjoying my Granite more than I do my BRCC. Mainly because of the work I've been putting into that little green beast. I was thinking the same that I would enjoy the Outcast 4S. I kind of wanted the Typhon 3S because it looks more visually appealing, but I love jumping and flipping my trucks.

Nice! Ya, I've actually been enjoying my Granite more than I do my BRCC. Mainly because of the work I've been putting into that little green beast. I was thinking the same that I would enjoy the Outcast 4S. I kind of wanted the Typhon 3S because it looks more visually appealing, but I love jumping and flipping my trucks.
If you aren't on a strict budget I would definitely recommend a 6S Arrma. Doesn't matter which one, they are all great ???

For me I think that when parts availability and support becomes a hassle then it's time to move on and sell, trade, or shelf it. I'm just glad that the current Arrmas trucks have so much cross compatibility that I won't have to worry about this for a long time.

I always wonder what the guys who have discontinued Arrmas feel about their cars now and if they still drive them as much or not. Guys with the Nero, fazon, raider, fury, and some of the original 2wd blx trucks. ?
Yeah, that is a good way of thinking about it! At the moment, if I break something on my Granite, I can easily buy the part. Most, if not all parts are readily available and fairly reasonably priced. Maybe I'll retire it as soon as parts start to disappear from the market...
If you aren't on a strict budget I would definitely recommend a 6S Arrma. Doesn't matter which one, they are all great ???
YES! I'd love a 6S Kraton. One day...

My first decent RC in about 30 years was my Senton Mega 550. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy getting back into RC, so I went with a good quality "entry level" RC as recommended by my local hobby shop.

I had a lot of fun bashing around the front and back yards, and started looking into to local RC places. Stopped by the local track, and the fire inside me lit off again!

Now I still have the slightly modified Senton, along with a Limitless, and my little 1/10th on-road car that I run in Vintage Trans Am events.

I've pretty much "outgrown" my Senton, but rather than retire it, I'll pass it on to my grandson, and replace it (soon!) with something else with a bit more OOMPH! to it than a brushed Senton running on 2S...

How much mileage do you guys get out of your RC? I've been having a blast bashing my upgrade Granite Mega 4x4. I've essentially turned it into the BLX version. I'm at the point where it would have been cheaper to just buy the BLX version at the start. But then again, that truck was my first hobby-grade RTR which I learned ALOT by upgrading and installing my own parts. I also own a BRCC. I've been contemplating on picking up the Outcast 4S as a next step up. Mainly because it uses the same platform and I can re-use/inter-swap some of the parts I currently own.

Somewhere between 10 and 100 packs through an RC car. I try to buy them as soon as they come out and sell them when I think a new version is going to replace it. This maximizes the amount of time I get to own the car while limiting the monetary loss. Sometimes I screw up though and sell a car that WASN'T replaced by something better, my Granite 4x4 BLX is a good example. Should've kept that one.

The larger (monetized) YouTube channels can afford to have the latest and greatest RCs, because the YT revenue, at least partially pays for the trucks. The latest vehicle releases generate more views, and thus, more revenue.

This is true.

I have trucks that are 15 years old and not retired. As long as you can get parts why not keep using them. There are different reasons why someone would retire a rig.

Somewhere between 10 and 100 packs through an RC car. I try to buy them as soon as they come out and sell them when I think a new version is going to replace it. This maximizes the amount of time I get to own the car while limiting the monetary loss. Sometimes I screw up though and sell a car that WASN'T replaced by something better, my Granite 4x4 BLX is a good example. Should've kept that one.

This is true.
Good news is the Granite isn’t that expensive. ????

This is true.
Nice! Thanks! Also, really enjoy your YouTube vids. I always wondered why you got rid of your Granite BLX... and now I know! Thanks for the reply and keep up the great content!

I get rid of mine when one of the following:
1) Can't find parts anymore (OFNA HB buggies)
2) Can't fix an issue regardless what is tried (LST* 2 speed issues)
3) Lost interest (nitro savage, xtm mammoth, t-maxx's, xxx-nt)
4) The places I bought it for are no longer available (baja 5B)
5) Unforeseen issue to only me (baja 5B, gas smell in my house when stored)

With RC's, your lucky to get 50% out of what you put into them, so selling them off is kind of pointless if they don't have one of the above 4 things.

One that I tend to miss every time I get rid of is 1/8th buggy. It never fails. I get one, drive it a few times, remember why I do and don't like them, then they sit for a year and I sell them. Then I find a new bashing spot that I'd really like to run one at... Didn't really matter much as the last 3 I've had over the past 15 years all ended up not being able to get parts for, so I didn't drive them much towards the end anyway.

I’ve had a lot of different rcs. Sometimes they get retired in a few months and sometimes they last for more than 5 years. I usually hang onto my cars until something really groundbreaking that I really want outright replaces it. For example I bought an Smaxx 2.5 but as soon as the long revo came out I bought that. My traxxas slash 4x4 was awesome but when the senton came out? Had to have it, way better design- so I sold the slash. Now that the Mojave is out and proven, my senton’s days are limited. I typically own 3 trucks at a time, a buggy, an SCT (or sometimes that’s swapped for a road basher) and a MT. Since 2018 I downsized to 2 vehicles. I think everybody’s different with how long they keep their rcs, but me personally I like to go at least a year unless the truck is just not fun to use (an example was my old ExceedRC madfire)

My first hobby grade RC's were Helion's. When I recently got some new batteries to run them again, I found out that they've been discontinued. Parts are scarce on eBay but I'm going to keep running them until something unfixable happens, then I'll move the upgraded electronics into something else, probably a Senton Mega or similar.

Just the other day, my friend crashed my Helion pretty good. Tore the screws out of the bulkhead. Put some glue on the threads and reinserted them. If that doesn't hold, I'll be getting a replacement car/roller pretty soon. I've found that when I start getting bored with an RC, I'd rather upgrade it and make it my own. Although, buying the Typhon 3S was a good decision. It's so much better than the Helion's ever were.

My Helion was a 1/10 RWD buggy and I was hoping to get another RWD. Unfortunate that the Raider has been discontinued.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back