Where and when did you learn to drive! šŸ˜Ž

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheez

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Nero
  4. Senton 3s
Was sharing this conversation with family and the more I rattled my head the more I remember. This will age me šŸ¤Ŗ. When I was in high school we had ā€œdrivers education ā€œ, actually took a class in order to get a drivers license. So my drivers Ed teacher was Mr. Okura who was also my P.E. Teacher/ baseball coach . Picture a serious athletic Japanese guy with a crew cut. The car we drove was a 1970 challenger (could have been a ā€˜69, or ā€˜71) it was a beast muscle car! I went to Marina high school 68-72. So anyway weā€™re out the third or fourth day and weā€™re cruising H.Bā€¦..we come up to ā€œEdwards Hillā€ which is kind of in the middle of nowhere. Iā€™m driving and he says ā€œPUNCH IT!ā€
Yeah babyā€¦I threw everyones head back against the seats. No head rest in those days. I was the lucky guy that got that nod. The two girls in the back just giggled. Yep I got my license and the rest is history.šŸ¤Ŗ

BTWā€¦. I didnā€™t make the baseball team even though I was better than 90% of the other players. I refused to cut my hair which was half way down my back.šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:
Nice one. Yes I do remember drivers ed class.

I grew up in the hood, not a bad hood but it was hood. Age 10 in '82 my aunt would let me drive her car to the store to get cigarettes from the local corner store. Now that ages me because kids could get cigs if you said it was for an adult at the store. Neighbor store so everyone knew everyone.

Of course I did not know how to drive, but she gave me the keys and hell I took them. I figured if the Dukes of Hazard guys could...hell so could I. Damnit I drove each time she asked that was often and my first time driving.

Nice one. Yes I do remember drivers ed class.

I grew up in the hood, not a bad hood but it was hood. Age 10 in '82 my aunt would let me drive her car to the store to get cigarettes from the local corner store. Now that ages me because kids could get cigs if you said it was for an adult at the store. Neighbor store so everyone knew everyone.

Of course I did not know how to drive, but she gave me the keys and hell I took them. I figured if the Dukes of Hazard guys could...hell so could I. Damnit I drove each time she asked that was often and my first time driving.
Awesome šŸ˜Žā€¦.of course you didnā€™t smoke your auntā€™s cigsā€¦.

Stole my older brothers car every other night for like 15 min. Canā€™t go out long because I didnā€™t know how to pump gas.
ā€stole/borrowed ā€œ my dadā€™s Corvair Monza rear engine sports car a few times until I ran it off the road and it stopped running. Took me an hour or so to figure out the belt had come off. That was my first car repair job. Panic got me through.

First time, my Dad took me out in the Ford Maverick, in a dirt field. When we got home, he told my Mom she was teaching me to drive after that! What? I only ran over one tumbleweed. :ROFLMAO:

Ironically years later, the first time he took me 4 wheeling and let me drive, he surprised me by saying I was a natural. :love: Now I'm just happy to make it home from work in one piece with all the distracted morons on the road.

I learned to drive around our old homestead at age 13 in a c10 Chevy pickup truck. Made my first solo pass down the drag strip in a back halfed, big tire drag car at 15. 1st car was a heavily modified (for that time period) 1987 5.0L mustang that ended up almost costing me my license more than once.

My daughter is 10 and drives me around the farm several times a week in everything from Polaris side by sides to big F550 trucks.
Luckily sheā€™s into big jacked up 4wd trucks and not fast cars.
FD989BCA-29A7-4602-92B4-631773376CC6.jpeg

Sheā€™s a hard worker too

ā€stole/borrowed ā€œ my dadā€™s Corvair Monza rear engine sports car a few times until I ran it off the road and it stopped running. Took me an hour or so to figure out the belt had come off. That was my first car repair job. Panic got me through.
The will, will show you the way

Drivers Education class. Teacher Donald Lovelace. He was not sober very often. We would be on a highway he would open his door and yell at people. Video driving was in a trailer out back of the school. Lake Park H.S. Roselle IL Different times.

I grew up on a farm at around 7 my dad took me out to get a straight axel grain truck from the other side of the field. It was up to me to take his 85 Nissan pickup back. I couldn't see over the steering wheel so I ended up on an 8x8 piece of wood. Truck was a 5 speed. He told me not to touch the long skinny pedal (gas) hold the middle one (brake) when I got to the other end of the field and that the third pedal (clutch) didn't do anything. When we got home he told my mom what he did. He said I looked over at him in the other truck gave him a poop eating grin and took off. Pretty sure I was probably going through the field bouncing first gear off the rev limiter. Field was probably around a 3/4 mile long. By 10 I was driving tractors and trucks from my house to my uncles (3 to 4 miles) constantly. By 12 I was hooking a trailer to a tractor, loading the mower on the trailer and pulling it to my grandma's to mow her grass and back weekly.

I learned to drive at the age of 16 in driverā€™s education class at York Community High School in Elmhurst, IL in the fall of 1966. IIRC, the driverā€™s ed cars were Dodge Coronets. My father taught me to drive a stick shift a few months later in a 1966 Ford Fairlane with a 289HP and ā€œthree on the treeā€. That 289HP at 271 HP could really fly!

Last edited:
Self taught, had mini bike age 8. Parents had 67 Cadillac big motor, did full launches in driveway, 13 maby 12. Grew up in dragracing family. Had real drivers license at 14, power cycle only, but real deal.
At 14 brother had 69 Z28 and drafted in Marines and went to Nam. Took that car on the streets everytime I could and honed the skill, was a natural. No brag just fact. Had many street and race cars thru the years. At 66 still have a 10.0 Nova and ride my liter bike daily and race quads. Love speed, once in your blood it's over.

I grew up on a farm at around 7 my dad took me out to get a straight axel grain truck from the other side of the field. It was up to me to take his 85 Nissan pickup back. I couldn't see over the steering wheel so I ended up on an 8x8 piece of wood. Truck was a 5 speed. He told me not to touch the long skinny pedal (gas) hold the middle one (brake) when I got to the other end of the field and that the third pedal (clutch) didn't do anything. When we got home he told my mom what he did. He said I looked over at him in the other truck gave him a poop eating grin and took off. Pretty sure I was probably going through the field bouncing first gear off the rev limiter. Field was probably around a 3/4 mile long. By 10 I was driving tractors and trucks from my house to my uncles (3 to 4 miles) constantly. By 12 I was hooking a trailer to a tractor, loading the mower on the trailer and pulling it to my grandma's to mow her grass and back weekly.
Self taught, had mini bike age 8. Parents had 67 Cadillac big motor, did full launches in driveway, 13 maby 12. Grew up in dragracing family. Had real drivers license at 14, power cycle only, but real deal.
At 14 brother had 69 Z28 and drafted in Marines and went to Nam. Took that car on the streets everytime I could and honed the skill, was a natural. No brag just fact. Had many street and race cars thru the years. At 66 still have a 10.0 Nova and ride my liter bike daily and race quads. Love speed, once in your blood it's over.
While I was driving a VW bug my friends were driving a Nova, and ā€˜72 Chevelle SS šŸ˜. John who owned the Chevelle was street racing one night and pulled gnarly wheelie came down and broke his chassis.

While I was driving a VW bug my friends were driving a Nova, and ā€˜72 Chevelle SS šŸ˜. John who owned the Chevelle was street racing one night and pulled gnarly wheelie came down and broke his chassis.
My first car was a 71 Nova in highschool. My friend had a 70 Chevelle LS6, awesome car for it's time.

My step-dads mother had a farm when I was growing up and we would go out there and do work from time to time, I was about 9 or 10 and my stepdad wanted to bring the plow back to the barn but didn't want to have to walk all the way back out to get the Bronco so he had me jump in and follow him down to the barn, I think we topped out at 5mph took us like 10 minutes though :ROFLMAO: for some reason I cannot remember how the tractor got out there.

Grew up riding motorcycles. Had my first dirt bike at 4 or 5 (Honda 50cc with training wheels ha!). Got my motorcycle license at 16 and around the same time took driver's ed at my high school. They don't actually let you drive cars anymore, you sit in a room with 30 other kids in a seat that had a gas pedal and steering wheel and you watch a video and try to "drive" like the video and then you're scored on your "driving". The drivers ed course only gives you a grade though, it has nothing to do with your license. At this point I started to learn driving various family cars, but mainly on my Moms 3/4 Ton Chevy Duramax. Damn I loved that truck, she'd even let me take it to school sometimes. Still a bike guy though. Got my first bike at 17 and only got a car because my mom gave me her old Trailblazer this year at 20. Started learning to drive my dads '68 Bug to learn manual, but I hate driving with my Dad so I stopped. I'll learn when I get my '58 or my dad's sandrail running.

At 10 my neighbor asked me to drive his hay wagon tractor for him, one of those large ones with cab and over 20 gears or something. I didn't want to, because I'm always scared to break other people's stuff.

Same with my uncle's NECAF jeep last year. To scared of breaking it.

I am very experienced in driving lawn mowers though. Been mowing since 8, and I'm great at parking it way to close to the wall so the rest of the family can't get it out

My dad had a small Pharmacy in a row of stores. Next door was Mr. Gazillo who rented tuxedos. He had a smaller car than our wagon so he taught me and I took the test in his car. It was around 1986.

1959 International pickup 3on the tree on the farm as soon as I could reach the pedals. Great memories.

Back